MAGICal DLP News, Rumours & Thoughts

Disone

Agree to disagree, mostly. To your second point, legally speaking yes, but the industry as a whole delayed projects, and theme parks weren’t the only industry to do so.

Hindsight is 20/20 though, but remember that there was a time when there was no idea if it would even be possible to return to vacations, and from a business perspective I totally understand pausing/delaying everything as they were bleeding through cash. Now that doesn’t justify the level of delay for projects like TRON and the Festival Center, and it certainly left money on the table, but it’s sort of ingenuous to think projects weren’t going to be massively impacted while the parks remained shuttered or at bare bones capacity.
Hummmmm. IDK.... Universal, were they not in a place where they could have also been bleeding money too. Maybe they were positioned better financially for the pandemic but nonetheless instead of pulling back on projects they paused and then Hit the gas pedal.

I used to think that part of the problem Disney was dealing with was finding enough construction companies to build the projects. But the speed and quickness in which epic universe is being built puts that theory to rest. Plenty of construction crews were available.

Disney chose to save money now rather than invest now, taking advantage of lower construction costs. Then once Disney finally did start ramping back up, Construction costs soared. Anticipation continue to build and then finally 5 years of anticipation, and Tron just could not deliver.

Sadly I don't think Disney will have anything to counter Epic universe in 2025 or 2026. Barring dusting off the main Street electrical parade, again, Even if they start a major attraction the molasses pace on which they insist on building things would ensure it wouldn't open for at least 2 or 3 years which places it solidly in late 26 or early '27. And that's being optimistic.

So the only thing they can do is announce a big project while Universal is opening a big project. Which is what I think they will do. And as long as I'm being a negative Nancy here, or is it more of a realistic Ralph, like Galaxy's edge, this new project (probably beyond Big thunder ) will be overpromised and under delivered and opened in phases, because it's cheaper to do so, but then they lose lose shock and awe value.

Imagine if Galaxy's edge had opened with both smugglers run and rise of the resistance And at least some of the the promised streetmosphere. I mean honestly how much would it have cost a multi-billion dollar theme park company to run March of the First Order IN Galaxy's edge, And have a couple ewoks, perhaps a bounty hunter, and droids roaming around the place?

Instead they chose to slow open Galaxy's edge and truly lost any advantage they might have had by rolling it all out at once the way they had sold it when they announced it. Today's Walt Disney company sadly isn't willing to invest in the guest experience like it used to. It isn't willing to spend the money to be number one. Good enough is good enough. As Rizzo the rat would say, they're tourists, what do they know.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You can really see the difference with what concrete/tiles if you compare the mainstreets of Magic Kingdom and Paris. Its not just the castle thats more beautiful ;).
The Paris blockwork really adds something to Main Street. Every time we return to Orlando it looks bland in comparison. We also found Hong Kongs flooring to be exceptional; the colours chosen and their contrast really added a lot of zing. Kind of like a fantasy feel but in a real world way:

IMG_2197.jpeg

Agree to disagree, mostly.
Which of course, is fine. Especially with someone as pleasant and well versed as yourself. That’s what brings the discussion to a discussion forum.

Bernswss

The giant Storybook is finally getting some maintenance love as part of the overall refurbishment of the attraction - yeah!!! 🥳

Now let's just hope it is not being replaced by a giant screen showing the D+ app to better fit with a new storyline. ;)

img_1110.jpg

Source: DLP Report

I'd like anew book design with some kind of lighting integrated, making it sparkle at night or something. Either way, I'll be happy with the normal book refreshed!

cjkeating

I'd like anew book design with some kind of lighting integrated, making it sparkle at night or something. Either way, I'll be happy with the normal book refreshed!
Storybookland doesn't have a lighting package so doesn't open after dark... unless this changes during this refurb.

I am more concerned the book doesn't come back with the same design but some IP vomit.

Mkek22

Just got back from a trip to DLP, lots of people (including us) was asking for a physical map, looks like they've listened to the demand. Really enjoyed being back in DLP after 20 years, now looking at it through my 6 year old's eyes! Drone show was fantastic, brought back a lot of memories. Thought only WDW was our family disney destination but have said we must go back once the updates are complete as enjoyed it so much.

Disone

Just got back from a trip to DLP, lots of people (including us) was asking for a physical map, looks like they've listened to the demand. Really enjoyed being back in DLP after 20 years, now looking at it through my 6 year old's eyes! Drone show was fantastic, brought back a lot of memories. Thought only WDW was our family disney destination but have said we must go back once the updates are complete as enjoyed it so much.
Have you done Disneyland in California? If not I highly encourage you to do so. I think you'll come away with a similar experience. It's natural thing to think that because it's Walt Disney "WORLD" any other Disney destination is just second fiddle. It's fun to watch people discover how not true that is.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Have you done Disneyland in California? If not I highly encourage you to do so. I think you'll come away with a similar experience. It's natural thing to think that because it's Walt Disney "WORLD" any other Disney destination is just second fiddle. It's fun to watch people discover how not true that is.
Absolutely. We prefer Paris currently as a resort with a new close second for now in Hong Kong.

Kev1982

Storybookland doesn't have a lighting package so doesn't open after dark... unless this changes during this refurb.

I am more concerned the book doesn't come back with the same design but some IP vomit.
It allready had the castle from Mickey and the Beanstalk on it.

Disone

This is compared to Tokyo as well?
IMO Tokyo is the end all be all of Disney Theme Parks as they should be. Ride for ride, show for show TDL knocks it out of the ball park.

With one odd exception which may be just me. I'm not a huge fan of the shows at Tokyo DisneySea on the water. They always seem to end up mostly being large boats driving in a circle. The production value is top notch and clearly very expensive but I have not been able to connect to any of those shows yet day or night. They've all been one and done's for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom