MAGICal DLP News, Rumours & Thoughts

wtyy21

Disney Illuminations has been return, with significant changes regarding the number of spotlights, pyro, and scenes that already told weeks ago.

EDIT: The duration of the show was shortened to roughly 16 minutes, and the post-show announcements moved again to after exit music (If You Can Dream) played, like during its original run in 2017 until the start of 30th anniversary in 2022.

Last edited:

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
Wow, the level of construction at WDS…

Somehow it’s still a much better park than 5 years ago.

Not even being sarcastic, I’m thoroughly enjoying my time here, and I’m actually very excited for its future now.

IMG_1823.jpeg

IMG_1824.jpeg

IMG_1819.jpeg

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Henry Mystic

Thank you for sharing. I assume that's already pieces of the new flooring. How does it look like in person?

It's no longer parking lot vibes for sure. Though the flooring reminds me a bit of my neighbour's driveway. Can't wait to see how the final result will look like.
The nice pavement is a game changer for WDSP.

Tokyo Disneyland is probably the park that could use a flooring update the most now.

BrianLo

The nice pavement is a game changer for WDSP.

Tokyo Disneyland is probably the park that could use a flooring update the most now.

Despite complaining in the distant past that WDSP felt like a carnival erected on a French Parking lot/farm field... I actually never connected the dots that some of the problem was the pavement.

It's funny how much pavement can both go unnoticed, but also makes a difference. Who knew fun with floors Zach Ridley was right all along.

Henry Mystic

Despite complaining in the distant past that WDSP felt like a carnival erected on a French Parking lot/farm field... I actually never connected the dots that some of the problem was the pavement.

It's funny how much pavement can both go unnoticed, but also makes a difference. Who knew fun with floors Zach Ridley was right all along.
Oh he definitely was right. People flaming Zach Ridley online, someone who genuinely did care about the parks, was just so wrong and wild to me.

I get it that people were frustrated that Disney had delayed so many projects due to COVID, but the hate he got was so undeserved.

Look at photos of Magic Kingdom’s Frontierland versus Paris’. The pavement at DLP is very detailed like New Fantasyland, and beyond just being the better land it adds so much to the authenticity than bland black, green, or red pavement.

Pavement is likely the most under discussed aspect of quality design.

Last edited:

Disone

Oh he definitely was right. People flaming Zach Ridley online, someone who genuinely did care about the parks, was just so wrong and wild to me.

I get it that people were frustrated that Disney had delayed so many projects due to COVID, but the hate he got was so undeserved.

Look at photos of Magic Kingdom’s Frontierland versus Paris’. The pavement at DLP is very detailed like New Fantasyland, and beyond just being the better land it adds so much to the authenticity than bland black, green, or red pavement.

You're absolutely right and Magic Kingdom needs a concrete plan to replace it all🙂

Bernswss

Pavements truly matter a lot when it comes to the land. Disneyland Park has been getting new pavements in Fantasyland for years now and they look amazing (still a work in progress in some parts). I'd say Discoveryland needs it the most now.

Another place that's seeing a similar pavement transformation is Village, which will finally get rid of the awful and dirty ones that have been there for many years. The World Premiere section will definitely get a light reskin, but with the new pavements, greenery and trees it'll look 10 times better! Can't wait to see the finished product in less than a year now!

Markiewong

You can really see the difference with what concrete/tiles if you compare the mainstreets of Magic Kingdom and Paris. Its not just the castle thats more beautiful ;).

1717512129139.png

1717512157482.png

I've said it multiple times already, the lineup of attractions in Studios isn't that bad, its the parts inbetween that need to be fixed and it needs a lot of additional capacity in toilets/foods/shops and small things to do.

Henry Mystic

It was deserved. He accepted the job as mouthpiece for a woeful project.

Covid induced delay averaged 8 weeks. Any more was at the discretion of Burbank.
Agree to disagree, mostly. To your second point, legally speaking yes, but the industry as a whole delayed projects, and theme parks weren’t the only industry to do so.

Hindsight is 20/20 though, but remember that there was a time when there was no idea if it would even be possible to return to vacations, and from a business perspective I totally understand pausing/delaying everything as they were bleeding through cash. Now that doesn’t justify the level of delay for projects like TRON and the Festival Center, and it certainly left money on the table, but it’s sort of ingenuous to think projects weren’t going to be massively impacted while the parks remained shuttered or at bare bones capacity.
You can really see the difference with what concrete/tiles if you compare the mainstreets of Magic Kingdom and Paris. Its not just the castle thats more beautiful ;).

View attachment 789430
View attachment 789431
Lovely photo comparison. The bricks on Main Street is one of the first things I noticed back at my first DLP visit in 2013. It just gives it such a more premium look. The facades and interiors along main street are also much improved over the other castle-park counterparts.

I’ve said it multiple times already, the lineup of attractions in Studios isn't that bad, its the parts inbetween that need to be fixed and it needs a lot of additional capacity in toilets/foods/shops and small things to do.
It’s all the more ironic, given that DLP suffers from the polar opposite problem.😂

I will say though, despite the lack of new much needed rides, Lion King: Rhythms of the Pride Lands, was fantastic. You can tell they put both money and talent behind it.

It was simply exceptional, and really fits well alongside DLP’s other entertainment offerings which are also top notch. The drone show in particular sticks out.

Alice over at Studios was about what I expected (but with great talent), and really impressive for a temporary show, though obviously nowhere near on the caliber of Pride Lands.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom