MAGICal DLP News, Rumours & Thoughts

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Was the refurb necessary? Absolutely. Did they do this thoroughly? Yes. Did they capture or improve the spirit & style of the previous version? For my taste, not really. I am surprised how generic & swanky it now looks - like some location from the "Crazy Rich Asians" movie or a fancy airport lounge. Will some guests still love this version (even more)? I have no doubt it will attract it's crowd.

For me the new DLH has dropped off my list of Disney hotels I want to stay (again). Inventions used to be one of my top 3 restaurants in DLP - even though it was already quite pricey. Now that the temptation of staying or eating there is gone, this should at least save me some money for my next DLP trip.

"Generic - It's creative and well-themed for a new generation!"

Jordan dby

I was lucky enough to stay at the old DLH, a family of 4 (5 actually but one was under 3) for 3 days 2 nights, plus 2 breakfasts and 2 dinners - all character dining - in school summer holidays was just under £1,400. I don't think we will ever see close to those prices again.

Thinking back to my girls at the time, they would have loved that hotel even more had it been styled like this. It was a great hotel (primarily for position, fancy decor is lost when it's that busy) but I agree that for adults forcing the movie IPs everywhere cheapens the disney park magic a bit. There is nothing wrong to a theme that is not directly with characters.

Now with princess dining I wonder what will happen to auberge de cendrillon. We are staying in Feb, already have extra plus meal plans, the new restaurants are for DLH guests only but if we don't get our character dining I'll be a bit peeved.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It's really not generic at all, though -- that's what I like about it.

It's 10000x better than what they're doing at WDW resorts.
Take out the small Disney-themed detail in most of the rooms pictured and nothing to me suggests these couldn't be dropped into a nice hotel in Anywhere, EU. Take the pictures off the wall at the restaurant and it could be a dining buffet at a nicer hotel in Finland. Not disagreeing that they do look nice, though. What is pictured is far better than what they have done at WDW in the Iger era, pricing aside.

UNCgolf

Take out the small Disney-themed detail in most of the rooms pictured and nothing to me suggests these couldn't be dropped into a nice hotel in Anywhere, EU. Take the pictures off the wall at the restaurant and it could be a dining buffet at a nicer hotel in Finland. Not disagreeing that they do look nice, though. What is pictured is far better than what they have done at WDW in the Iger era, pricing aside.

Most of those designs would not be found in regular nice hotel rooms in the EU (at least not any I've stayed in Italy, Spain, France, and England); they're designed (at least to an extent) to look like bedrooms at aristocratic estates (which have sometimes been turned into hotels, so you can find rooms more like these there).

The fact that it's in Paris does make it a bit more generic for the region, I suppose, but those rooms do a pretty good job at evoking a specific feel. They'd be among the very best themed rooms at WDW if they were there.

The one below does look a little generic, although still very nice, but the others are all pretty well themed/detailed for a hotel room. They're just themed more towards kind of fantasy royalty/nobility in general rather than any specific era/setting.

1694619933885.png

Last edited:

cjkeating

I think everyone needs to remember the previous rooms (especially towards the end of their run...) weren't exactly a thematic masterpiece. Yes the common areas followed the theme of Main Street amazingly well but the room were pink with a few random characters (Fantasia, Snow White, Peter Pan) thrown in, in fact I think they were the only Paris hotel rooms with IP?

disneyland-hotel-30.jpg

mrflo

The one below does look a little generic, although still very nice, but the others are all pretty well themed/detailed for a hotel room.
But that is one of the actual standard rooms. Are you referring to the suites or club rooms with even more expensive prices?

Of course, those standard rooms don't look like a Hilton, Marriott or else. If you compare the rooms of luxury hotels like the Ritz or Shangri-La in Paris, you can see a resemblance. I would not even be surprised if they hired the same development company of those luxury hotel chains to help with the refurb.

UNCgolf

But that is one of the actual standard rooms. Are you referring to the suites or club rooms with even more expensive prices?

Of course, those standard rooms don't look like a Hilton, Marriott or else. If you compare the rooms of luxury hotels like the Ritz or Shangri-La in Paris, you can see a resemblance. I would not even be surprised if they hired the same development company of those luxury hotel chains to help with the refurb.

Probably -- there were several other room photos, but it doesn't specify what they all are. Some of the others don't look like suites, though, they may just be deluxe and/or club level rooms.

It doesn't really change the point regardless. WDW resorts don't have more/better theming in deluxe or club level rooms.

Markiewong

I think everyone needs to remember the previous rooms (especially towards the end of their run...) weren't exactly a thematic masterpiece. Yes the common areas followed the theme of Main Street amazingly well but the room were pink with a few random characters (Fantasia, Snow White, Peter Pan) thrown in, in fact I think they were the only Paris hotel rooms with IP?
This ^, people keep complaining about IP-ficiation of the hotels while the Disneyland hotel was the only original hotel that had Disney characters. They are in the paintings, bed, mirrors, woodwork etc. Even the hotelbar was themed after a Disney movie, but since it was Fantasia most peopel gave it a pass.

Probably -- there were several other room photos, but it doesn't specify what they all are. Some of the others don't look like suites, though, they may just be deluxe and/or club level rooms.

It doesn't really change the point regardless. WDW resorts don't have more/better theming in deluxe or club level rooms.
I do agree that the rooms look better than most WDW refurbs, some aside. I think they almost fit the exterior of the hotel better than the old ones.

For the record here is the new lineup of rooms.
Superior room (the standard room)
1694631683414.png

Deluxe room (new category, similar to the club rooms)

Breakfast and lounge access included
1694631780821.png

1694632138103.png

1694688404416.png

Castle Club (promoted as 'hotel within a hotel')
I haven't seen any pictures of the rooms yet, but I assume they are the same as the deluxe one. Comes with breakfast, own lounge (not the same as deluxe), private reception and elevator which goes directly to the entrance.

Signature Suites (come with access to the same lounge as the deluxe rooms)
Cinderella/Sleeping Beauty/Tangled/Frozen/Beauty and the Beast

Castle Club Suites
Cinderella/Sleeping Beauty/Beauty and the Beast

Princely- and Royal Frozen Suite
If you really have too much money.

EDIT:
Added a picture of the Deluxe room lounge, it looks very... stale and boring.

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

View attachment 742761
I agree, and would also argue that if these hotel rooms are 'generic' then virtually all Disney hotel rooms since they started operating resorts have been generic. It's not like the Polynesian Resort rooms, for example, ever looked like you were staying in the Tiki Room. They have always had to be comfortable and functional.

LondonTom

This ^, people keep complaining about IP-ficiation of the hotels while the Disneyland hotel was the only original hotel that had Disney characters. They are in the paintings, bed, mirrors, woodwork etc. Even the hotelbar was themed after a Disney movie, but since it was Fantasia most peopel gave it a pass.
Its not the IP-Ficiation as such, its making sure that IP fits and tells a cohesive story (See Cheyenne) No matter how much they mention "Royal" it doesn't really do that throughout the hotel.

No one gave Cafe Fantasia a pass because its Fantasia, its cause it was done tastefully and slotted in nicely with the rest of the hotel.

Personally, I think individually some of the rooms are not actually too bad but as a whole for the entire hotel? It just seems odd.

Anyway, it doesn't matter for most of us as the rumour is that the plebs not staying there will be banned from most of the hotel for the opening months and not just dining 😂

Markiewong

Its not the IP-Ficiation as such, its making sure that IP fits and tells a cohesive story (See Cheyenne) No matter how much they mention "Royal" it doesn't really do that throughout the hotel.

No one gave Cafe Fantasia a pass because its Fantasia, its cause it was done tastefully and slotted in nicely with the rest of the hotel.

Personally, I think individually some of the rooms are not actually too bad but as a whole for the entire hotel? It just seems odd.
There was no real relationship between Tinkerbell/Peter Pan/Snow white and Fantasia with the old hotel versus the princesses and the retheme. From all the original Paris hotels the DLH was always the weakest one theming wise in my opinion. Fantasia bar is another example of that, while it is technically an IP bar it never came much further than some random paintings from Fantasia. I would not call that "slotted in nicely". Its actually very similar to what current Disney tends to do but I do not want to derail this topic into that discussion.
1694686912606.png

Regarding the hotel rooms I do think the paintings above the bed is a bit too much, I rather have them on the side of the room and something more unique than a screencap from a movie. Some of the suites are really well done and they fit the new theme, such as the Sleeping Beauty one. I can't argue about the complete picture yet since we haven't seen the hallway and new bar. But all in all I would say that the retheme looks promising.

Anyway, it doesn't matter for most of us as the rumour is that the plebs not staying there will be banned from most of the hotel for the opening months and not just dining 😂
Part of this is confirmed. Dining will be exclusive for DLH guest. Lunch is exclusive for Disneyland Hotel guests. No words about the bar and shops though, but it would not surprise me if they keep the property closed off in the first couple of months/year to maintain the exclusive atmosphere.

If we have to believe this account it will be closed off entirely.

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

Part of this is confirmed. Dining will be exclusive for DLH guest. Lunch is exclusive for Disneyland Hotel guests. No words about the bar and shops though, but it would not surprise me if they keep the property closed off in the first couple of months/year to maintain the exclusive atmosphere.

If we have to believe this account it will be closed off entirely.

Curious how long this will remain the case.

I always liked to stop at the Café Fantasia after a day at the park and it was never hard to find a seat. I can imagine that at first, though, they may want to stop an influx of people just wanting to see the new hotel. They did step up the bar significantly at the Hotel New York with the Marvel redo such that it's kind of an attraction in its own right, so I'm curious if something similar will happen here.

LondonTom

Don't worry exciting investment is coming to DLP after all...

A New McDonalds!!

Built next to the current one, which will remain operating, building starts next year (2024), completed in 2026 😂

1695181228586.png

I do think this kind of needed, the current one is too small/doesn't have a great flow for the amount of people who use it at peak times! As for the design, well it is that normal generic new McDonald's design really, nothing exciting nothing to moan about 😂Now we plebs can't go DLH for food at least there will be Mcdonalds.

Interesting tweet from Ally! on its position, could be the start of of the end arena tent/dome!

cjkeating

V
Don't worry exciting investment is coming to DLP after all...

A New McDonalds!!

Built next to the current one, which will remain operating, building starts next year (2024), completed in 2026 😂

View attachment 743957

I do think this kind of needed, the current one is too small/doesn't have a great flow for the amount of people who use it at peak times! As for the design, well it is that normal generic new McDonald's design really, nothing exciting nothing to moan about 😂Now we plebs can't go DLH for food at least there will be Mcdonalds.

Interesting tweet from Ally! on its position, could be the start of of the end arena tent/dome!

Very welcome news. With the old McDonald's gone the new "alley" will be accessible once built. I feel like this announcement is enabling the "expansion" phase of the DV after the reimagining phase of the current DV.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom