Magic Kingdom to lose ROA, Riverboat, and TSI for Cars Land

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Why is Universal building a new theme park? Why didn't they just fill in that unused space in the middle of Islands of Adventure and put the Ministry of Magic there?

IOA Expansion Pad.png

So much wasted space! And so unpopular.

Rich T

….Even a little kid would be way more into a car ride than a relaxing river boat.
Well, then by all means let’s replace every beautiful, iconic thing in the Disney parks with a cartoon-based merch opportunity that six-year-olds will recognize.

We’re not here to teach and inspire! Literature and history is for rubes!

To heck with parents and grandparents and depth and beauty; Shallow! We want shallow, one-note parks!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think so too. Don’t get me wrong, sometimes they do remove things I really like.

But when people acted like Bugs Land was anything beyond a bad early 2000s theme park area with some carnival rides it made me chuckle. That being said the shade does make it better than Avenger’s Campus.

I guarantee the new Cars Ride/Land will be more popular than Mark Twain’s boat and Tom Sawyer island.

Even a little kid would be way more into a car ride than a relaxing river boat.

See we can find common ground..... ;)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well, then by all means let’s replace every beautiful, iconic thing in the Disney parks with a cartoon-based merch opportunity that six-year-olds will recognize.

We’re not here to teach and inspire! Literature and history is for rubes!

To heck with parents and grandparents and depth and beauty; Shallow! We want shallow, one-note parks!
Lets be honest, anyone using a Disney Park for literary or history lessons is doing it wrong.

The Disney Parks have never and will never be living history museums. They are caricatures at best.

mickEblu

I
That tweet is so funny because its true.

Disney: We're replacing X with this new state of the art attraction.
Fans: But that is my most favorite area of the park you can't tear it down!?!?!
Disney: Well then why is it empty all the time?
Fans: I didn't say I wanted to actually go over there.

The tweet is actually very dumb. It ignores the fact that it’s not just TSI but whole river that’s going. It would be more accurate if she asked her child to take down all the decorations, curtains and wall paper in her room

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I

The tweet is actually very dumb. It ignores the fact that it’s not just TSI but whole river that’s going. It would be more accurate if she asked her child to take down all the decorations, curtains and wall paper in her room
The sentiment is still the same, so its still funny to me.

Rich T

P
Lets be honest, anyone using a Disney Park for literary or history lessons is doing it wrong.

The Disney Parks have never and will never be living history museums. They are caricatures at best.
But they do (er… they did) inspire people to find out more about the world, especially its past.

At least, that’s the way it’s worked for my family. And, believe me, we did the parks right. 😀

It’s all there in the lyrics to Wonderful World of Color. 😃 For countless guests, the castle parks have been a springboard into wider things. Disney didn’t used to simply be content with showing folks IPs they already knew.

It’s one of the important factors that helped make the parks so well-loved in the first place.

And even if we drop history and learning from the equation, the beauty and generational sharing of Rivers of America is such a huge part of DL/MK’s identity up to this point, that I’m truly disappointed (but, again not surprised) that the current corporation doesn’t care.

Rich T

I

And stomp a beautiful, much-loved family heirloom (that had been enjoyed at family get-togethers for 50+ years) to smithereens.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
P

But they do (er… they did) inspire people to find out more about the world, especially its past.

At least, that’s the way it’s worked for my family. And, believe me, we did the parks right. 😀

It’s all there in the lyrics to Wonderful World of Color. 😃 For countless guests, the castle parks have been a springboard into wider things. Disney didn’t used to simply be content with showing folks IPs they already knew.

It’s one of the important factors that helped make the parks so well-loved in the first place.

And even if we drop history and learning from the equation, the beauty and generational sharing of Rivers of America is such a huge part of DL/MK’s identity up to this point, that I’m truly disappointed (but, again not surprised) that the current corporation doesn’t care.
You're remembering Disney Parks from a bygone era (pre-80s) that still was never a living history museum. And even then the majority of visitors today never experienced that version of a Disney Park.

GigglesMcSnort

People acting like these sorts of thing are the end of the world are being a little melodramatic. It's in the nature of things to change. Your childhood memories are not lost because this or that favourite theme park attraction has been replaced by something you disagree with. Plenty of people will like the new attractions, just like you liked the old ones.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

It's pointless trying to explain this. We remember what the parks used to be. Most of the defenders of this project simply aren't familiar with pre-Iger Disney. Apparently even WDI has amnesia.

To be fair, a lot of the remaining historical/educational stuff is low-key and easy to overlook. Like Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. Or, uh.... Spaceship Earth........

Rich T

I think people acting like these sorts of thing are the end of the world are being a bit over dramatic. It's in the nature of things to change. Your childhood memories are not lost because this or that favourite theme park attraction has been replaced by something you disagree with. Plenty of people will like the new attractions, just like you liked the old ones.
Dramatic about theme parks on a theme park board? Who does that?!?!?😃

I agree that plenty of people will like the new attractions (if they’re good).

But this is ROA and the riverboat. In theme park terms, this is like knocking down the Eiffel Tower to build a SpongeBob ride.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It's pointless trying to explain this. We remember what the parks used to be. Most of the defenders of this project simply aren't familiar with pre-Iger Disney. Apparently even WDI has amnesia.

To be fair, a lot of the remaining historical/educational stuff is low-key and easy to overlook. Like Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. Or, uh.... Spaceship Earth........
Some of us actually remember a pre-Iger, even a pre-Eisner, Disney but don't look on it with rose colored glasses.

Nirya

My actual take on this is that it's a bad move simply because WDW should not have any issues finding more land to use, they're not landlocked like they are in DLR, and over here we found a way to put in an entire new land while keeping the RoA. Especially with this Villains Land stuff also happing at WDW, it seems like it should have been pretty easy for them to just go around the backside of the RoA (or shrink it a little) but they've never really seemed to care about their riverfront like the DLR does.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom