Magic Kingdom to lose ROA, Riverboat, and TSI for Cars Land

Vegas Disney Fan

So they can't narrow the river a little for a path to Carsland like they did for GE?

They could, and I think that’s what many of us hoped for when they announced this, but based on the cencept art it’s all going away.

That side of the park with no water is going to feel a lot less like a “park”, not sure why this is surprising though, they’ve been replacing the trees, flower beds, fountains, and other “park” features with wider paths and more pavement for years. This is just a larger loss than normal.

mickEblu

They could, and I think that’s what many of us hoped for when they announced this, but based on the cencept art it’s all going away.

That side of the park with no water is going to feel a lot less like a “park”, not sure why this is surprising though, they’ve been replacing the trees, flower beds, fountains, and other “park” features with wider paths and more pavement for years. This is just a larger loss than normal.

This is a MUCH larger loss. The craziest part is not replacing it with another large water feature. Crazy,

Phroobar

WDW_CarsAerial_MK.jpg

I'm trying to orientate myself here. Where is existing stuff?

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

What if instead of HOP they give us something nice and self referential like the Hall of Imagineers or how about the Hall of DEI Destroyers where we get to be a fly on the wall and hear about everything they hate about the old Disney parks and Disney movies.

There's some Eisner interview from years ago in which he recalls visiting Disneyland with Frank Wells for the first time. In Eisner's retelling, they weren't at all familiar with Disney's theme parks and didn't know what to expect (obviously the prospect of selling the parks was on the table), but after just a short visit, they turned to each other and agreed "There is so much value here."

Last edited by a moderator:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
WDI has wanted to replace Main Street with "Mickey Avenue" for a while now. They don't care (and also possibly don't know) about Walt's actual intentions with Disneyland; I suspect a Walt AA show on Mickey Avenue sounds perfectly acceptable to 2024 WDI.
Which as I recall was completely shot down during the Chapek era when it was suggested to replace the Main St Cinema with a store.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

There is what looks to be a waterfall and rapids area within the concept art. So it appears there will be some area of water saved from ROA for that.

AJFireman

WDW_CarsAerial_MK.jpg

You can see Country Bears and Pecos on the Left. Bottom building is Loading Dock not sure why they are keeping it. Gift shop maybe. Middle left clouded by darkeness is Tiana's (intentional maybe) you can see the water tower with crown then to the left the mountain. Upper Right Side Thunder Mountain.
1723494679808.jpeg

Consumer

WDW_CarsAerial_MK.jpg

What I don't understand is why this attraction needs to be so large. If Rivers of America truly must go, it ought to house more than just two new attractions. You can fit roughly 10 Haunted Mansions on the Rivers of America.

What they ought to have done, if the Rivers must be touched at all, is cut the waterway in half and built Western River Expedition on its northern shore. It's what the people truly want. I guess times like this I'm grateful this attraction was never built so that it was never under threat of destruction.
1723494953561.png

AJFireman

So they can't narrow the river a little for a path to Carsland like they did for GE?

View attachment 808798
From the way I view the concept art is that Cars Land/Ride area will end from the end of the HM Queue are straight across to BTMR. You can see in the concept art the pathway that follows the original path of ROA on the right continues on and to the right into an unkown area behind HM. To me that indicates that what you see in your screenshot will be further development Villains Land.

CaptinEO

Re-contextualize the land. Lean into the "hard facts." Consult leading historians and build a serious-minded boat/dark ride called "River of Democracy" that meaningfully and artistically engages with the centuries-long struggle for equality and suffrage for all Americans, honoring not only the top-down legal achievements of prominent men and women leaders but also all the ordinary people who participated in these movements and sacrificed and to whom we owe an enormous gratitude. Acknowledge this country's missteps, its violence, its non-linear progress, but also celebrate the resilience of its people.

Or bulldoze the land and build a Cars ride.
2nd option sounds way better to me.

captveg

What I don't understand is why this attraction needs to be so large. If Rivers of America truly must go, it ought to house more than just two new attractions. You can fit roughly 10 Haunted Mansions on the Rivers of America.

What they ought to have done, if the Rivers must be touched at all, is cut the waterway in half and built Western River Expedition on its northern shore. It's what the people truly want. I guess times like this I'm grateful this attraction was never built so that it was never under threat of destruction.
View attachment 808836
Western River Expedition? What Pixar film is that?

Misted Compass

Back to the topic of this thread, I first visited MK in Spetember of 2023, and while I was expecting to like CoP and the Peoplemover, the real sleeper hits for me were the Country Bears and TSI (which has a lot more interesting spaces than it's DL counterpart currently does). Now one is already gone and the other is on its way out.

It's very semantic, but I've come to notice that the meaning of a "theme park" to most people is less "a park with theming as a focus" and more "an amusement park with a theme". It's very subtle, but if you look at modern lands you can see the difference, with Pixar Pier and Toy Story Land perhaps being the most egregious examples. Those lands don't have theming, they just have a theme. And replacing the Rivers of America with cartoon cars is perhaps the end result of this shift in definition.

Last edited by a moderator:

CaptinEO

That tweet is so funny because its true.

Disney: We're replacing X with this new state of the art attraction.
Fans: But that is my most favorite area of the park you can't tear it down!?!?!
Disney: Well then why is it empty all the time?
Fans: I didn't say I wanted to actually go over there.
I think so too. Don’t get me wrong, sometimes they do remove things I really like.

But when people acted like Bugs Land was anything beyond a bad early 2000s theme park area with some carnival rides it made me chuckle. That being said the shade does make it better than Avenger’s Campus.

I guarantee the new Cars Ride/Land will be more popular than Mark Twain’s boat and Tom Sawyer island.

Even a little kid would be way more into a car ride than a relaxing river boat.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom