Magic Kingdom to lose ROA, Riverboat, and TSI for Cars Land

Rich T

With this change, MK is about to become, IMO, the trashiest, most shallow and most gross of all the castle parks.

Nothing but cartoons and IP as far as the eye can see. The destruction of RoA in Florida might well go down as the single most bone-headed decision in the history of theme parks and the Walt Disney Co.

And for what? CARS???!???? This is the option they picked???? They had no other ideas on the table?? No other place to put it?

This is an insult to the legacies of both Walt and Roy Disney.

And I thought my opinion of the current Disney leadership couldn’t sink any lower…

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Re-contextualize the land. Lean into the "hard facts." Consult leading historians and build a serious-minded boat/dark ride called "River of Democracy" that meaningfully and artistically engages with the centuries-long struggle for equality and suffrage for all Americans, honoring not only the top-down legal achievements of prominent men and women leaders but also all the ordinary people who participated in these movements and sacrificed and to whom we owe an enormous gratitude. Acknowledge this country's missteps, its violence, its non-linear progress, but also celebrate the resilience of its people.

Or bulldoze the land and build a Cars ride.

mickEblu

It probably already was. This confirms it.

Not sure why any fan of old-school Disney would need to visit MK at this point. Pretty expensive ticket for just Carousel of Progress and People Mover.

I was planning on going to WDW for the first time in 2026. Not sure how I feel about it now and definitely don’t want to go with the whole west side of the park being a Construction Zone with the whole river behind walls.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Brian Stelter on Josh D'Amaro, literally yesterday:
The first time I met D'Amaro, for breakfast at Jams, inside 1 Hotel Central Park in New York, he told me a story about Disney's literal roots. Some Disney fans are so dedicated, so obsessed with every detail in the parks, that even a decision about cutting down a tree could involve the chairman. When Disneyland managers were preparing to open the Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge attraction in 2019, one particular tree in the park was creating a pinch point, restricting pedestrian flow, so D'Amaro was called in to survey the scene. He asked: "What's the history of this tree? Was it here when Walt was here?" He had to assess how guests might react. Ultimately the tree was relocated a few feet away.

"You can replace 'tree' for trash can or paint color," D'Amaro said. "One of the things that's really special about our brand is that people care, and they pay attention to details. They care about our history and they care about our future."

I guess that's all in the past.

Rich T

How are not more WDW people mad about this? Many seem ok with it. Is there a chance they just leave the River in tact from Thunder to Mansion, chop the island in half and dock the boat? That seems like a best case scenario now.
The local news in Central Florida just put this story front and center today, with a big, clear headline that the Rivers of America and Tom Sawyer Island are being replaced by Cars. I’m curious to see if there’s any outcry from the more casual non-fan-forum-posting park-going public; Florida folks who pay for big family get-together vacations.

One less beloved multi-generation icon for families to bring their children and grandchildren to experience.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I was planning on going to WDW for the first time in 2026. Not sure how I feel about it now and definitely don’t want to go with the whole west side of the park being a Construction Zone with the whole river behind walls.

Depending on your objectives, still might be worth going. MK will likely be the low-point of your trip, though. Really, I struggle to see what a Disneyland fan would enjoy about that park now.

I was fortunate/prescient enough to spend a few hours at MK in January 2023 while attending a conference in Orlando for my industry. Was on the fence about even visiting but holy cow, I am so glad I chose to go. Got to experience Splash, Country Bear Jamboree, Tom Sawyer Island, and the Liberty Belle one last time.

That's kind of how I feel about WDW now. Every visit is like a "farewell tour."

mlayton144

I’m disappointed that we are losing the place making of ROA that I personally really enjoy. That said , TSI has been a ghost town for decades. Liberty Belle and ROA is far inferior to DLR version which can always be visited. Losing ROA at DLR would truly be a tragedy.

Last edited by a moderator:

StantonZ

I haven't posted on this forum for awhile, but it's getting to the point where it's not even worth reading. We visited TSI (for the first time in about 10 years) a year ago...and swore that we would never waste the time it takes to get over/back to the island again. Walt himself once said the parks will always be in a state of evolving, and I for one am glad that they continue to churn under-utilized areas/attractions for better experiences. If things like Haunted Mansion and Pirates fell under that category, they would be a target as well--but they aren't! I guess you just can't please all the people all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Adventureland Veranda

This is such a horrible and short-sighted decision. ROA and TSI are among my favorite areas at the Magic Kingdom. I have always loved Frontierland especially at night when the park is closing where you take in the views and the background music loop. It's another area being taken away from us despite the "blessing of size." You're probably next World Showcase Lagoon!

I live in New England but have been going to WDW far less than I used to in favor of Disneyland. The overall experience in Florida continues to diminish which is a real shame.

IMG_20180301_183458934.jpg

Last edited:

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Curious but why do you feel this? Main St at DL appears to be safe with them adding Walt directly to the Opera House. Would be weird to have a Walt show on anything other than Main St based on his home town.

WDI has wanted to replace Main Street with "Mickey Avenue" for a while now. They don't care (and also possibly don't know) about Walt's actual intentions with Disneyland; I suspect a Walt AA show on Mickey Avenue sounds perfectly acceptable to 2024 WDI.

captveg

So they can't narrow the river a little for a path to Carsland like they did for GE?

View attachment 808798
But how could they with how landlocked and restrictive their options are in Florida....

Seriously, though, if they cut back the rivers & island a bit DLR style to put a pathway back there that would lead to a Cars Land and the Villains land I don't think there would be many complaints.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

But how could they with how landlocked and restrictive their option are in Florida....

Haha seriously, what happened to the "blessing of size"...

Seriously, though, if they cut back the rivers & island a bit DLR style to put a pathway back there that would lead to a Cars Land and the Villains land I don't think there would be many complaints.

This would be the logical approach. Today's announcement, however, indicates to me that WDI wants to erase all memory of Frontierland, TSI, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom