Magic Kingdom to lose ROA, Riverboat, and TSI for Cars Land

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

You're remembering Disney Parks from a bygone era (pre-80s) that still was never a living history museum. And even then the majority of visitors today never experienced that version of a Disney Park.

Simply untrue. As recently as the mid-2000s, the educational component of Disney parks was still alive and well. Epcot was still a park that celebrated science/technology/world cultures and Hollywood Studios still revolved around tv/filmmaking. Animal Kingdom survived even longer as a park with an educational message.

haveyoumetmark

Saw this Tweet earlier, and I believe it's 100% on the money.

Is someone gonna tell this drama queen that Cars is about Americana? And at a high level, the attraction is inspired by roadtrips through National Parks… is that not Americana? Main Street is a tribute to Walt and the legends that built the company, it’s not going anywhere.

I empathize with folks lamenting the loss of something beloved to them from their childhood, but the pearl clutching wears me out.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

image.png

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Simply untrue. As recently as the mid-2000s, the educational component of Disney parks was still alive and well. Epcot was still a park that celebrated science/technology/world cultures and Hollywood Studios still revolved around tv/filmmaking. Animal Kingdom survived even longer as a park with an educational message.
And none of that is a living history museum. Yes Disney Parks have had edutainment. But it was always a caricature of any actual education. And was still something that the company started to get away from during the Eisner era.

GigglesMcSnort

And none of that is a living history museum. Yes Disney Parks have had edutainment. But it was always a caricature of any actual education. And was still something that the company started to get away from during the Eisner era.
They definitely still have great edutainment available.

You just have to pay for it in the form of tours like Wild Africa Trek, Behind the Seeds and Dolphin Encounter. But to be fair, they're all really good and worth the money, at least once (in my opinion).

And even without paying, the pavilions at the World Showcase all have educational displays and/or shows about the local culture and history. You can easily spend a day getting immersed there, just taking in all the details of each "country".

Last edited:

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Its in reference to Rich stating that Literature and History is for rubes. The point is that a Disney Park has never and should never have been used for actual literary and history lessons.

What do you mean that it "should never have been" used for literary/history lessons? Is it a bad thing that 9 year-old me found World of Motion, The Living Seas, and Spaceship Earth intellectually stimulating? That the Mark Twain references in Magic Kingdom led me to read A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court? Objectively, WDI used to strive to both entertain and educate, and many guests were indeed affected by this.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
They definitely still have great edutainment available.

You just have to pay for it in the form of tours like Wild Africa Trek, Behind the Seeds and Dolphin Encounter. But to be fair, they're all really good and worth the money (in my opinion).

And even without paying, the pavilions at the World Showcase all have educational displays and/or shows about the local culture and history. You can easily spend a day getting immersed there, just taking in all the details of each "country".
Understood, I didn't mean to say that there is none today if that is how it came across. Just that the company had started to get away from that for a long time now, even if there are recent examples added over the last 20 years.

Phroobar

Re-contextualize the land. Lean into the "hard facts." Consult leading historians and build a serious-minded boat/dark ride called "River of Democracy" that meaningfully and artistically engages with the centuries-long struggle for equality and suffrage for all Americans, honoring not only the top-down legal achievements of prominent men and women leaders but also all the ordinary people who participated in these movements and sacrificed and to whom we owe an enormous gratitude. Acknowledge this country's missteps, its violence, its non-linear progress, but also celebrate the resilience of its people.

Or bulldoze the land and build a Cars ride.
I almost fell asleep reading that.

GigglesMcSnort

What do you mean that it "should never have been" used for literary/history lessons? Is it a bad thing that 9 year-old me found World of Motion, The Living Seas, and Spaceship Earth intellectually stimulating? That the Mark Twain references in Magic Kingdom led me to read A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court? Objectively, WDI used to strive to both entertain and educate, and many guests were indeed affected by this.
Times change, unfortunately.

When we were kids (and I'm making a completely uneducated guess that we're at least roughly in the same ballpark of age, given the attractions mentioned), going to Disney World, and being in awe at those different things, we couldn't look up all the world's knowledge from the touch of a button on our smartphones (that sort of technology was only available in science fiction).

Kids these days aren't impressed by that stuff anymore.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom