Magic Kingdom Parade DURING Fay! WOW! -Video-

hpyhnt 1000

^Y'know, those people are just ignorant and stupid. Why would Disney shut down the parks? From a safety standpoint, a bit of rain a wind is nothing serious; Disney has those everyday anyway: they're called afternoon thunderstorms. Tropical Storm Fay was no worse than a rainy summer day, and I'm glad to see Disney didn't panic. Kudos to them for keeping the magic going. :)

ewensell3

:lol::lol: LOL!

Watch the second clip...

Look at the speed that those floats were travelling at!

They could get a speeding ticket for that!

Crazy...

They were "flying", relatively speaking.

Anyone else notice how close Peter Pan float got to the Villian float?

Some serious "ponding" going on around the edges of mainstreet. At one point it looked like a CM was trying to clear a storm drain. Probably covered with discarded maps...

musicmaniac522

It looks like the second time it went by all of the the Characters and dancers that were walking were taken through some alternate exit I guess at the hub. I never knew that the floats could go that fast, wow

C&D

Looks like a fairly typical day at Disney; everyone seems to be having a great/fun time. (First video, kid crying in the background; nothing new there), smiling Castmembers going out of their way to be nice and personable. Yes, definitely a fairly typical day at Disney.

p.s. The difference between calling off a parade due to storms (i.e. lightning) and having the parade in a downpour rain is the lack of any real danger from rain. Kudos for Disney.

mpaul32001

Original Poster
p.s. The difference between calling off a parade due to storms (i.e. lightning) and having the parade in a downpour rain is the lack of any real danger from rain. Kudos for Disney.

Actually, the parade started before the rain. As soon as the floats were out is when it started to downpour. And since they were on the revised route, they had to go up Main Street, stop in the Hub, and come back down again. That's why you see them going so fast in the second video. Notice in the first video, characters are being pulled out. This will tell you that this wasn't an intentional happening. We have a special Rainy Day Cavalcade Parade for situations where it's raining like this before the parade starts. :wave:

belle15

That was awesome! I think it'd be fun to do that. Maybe not in the big costumes, but as a face character like Alice or Mary Poppins.

What is this about a revised parade route? Is this something temporary? Why did they change it?

diddy_mouse

wow! :eek:

I've never seen floats move that fast before :lol: But it is so great to see the magic happen during a storm like that. :)

Disneykidder

Major props to all of the characters. The first video was regular speed. The second one was cooking!!

Rain in Disney?? Do people realize that it is in Florida? They are used to doing everything in the rain and they have built everything to withstand the Florida rain, heat, etc., I agree with an above post...it's a vacation...who wants to sit in a room and watch TV? We experienced rain one night we were there last week. We didn't go to Fantasmic, (which I heard was in operation somewhat) but we did brave a poncho and go to Qisneyquest. It's water....who is really going to melt?

dandaman

I can't imagine the Christmas parade in that... Santa's soaked beard would look rather unsavoury. :lol:

And the speed! Instead of Peace on Earth, it'd be Hell on Wheels!

That was totally awesome. The CM's deserve a combat medal for that.

dwightshrutefan

Major props to all of the characters. The first video was regular speed. The second one was cooking!!

Rain in Disney?? Do people realize that it is in Florida? They are used to doing everything in the rain and they have built everything to withstand the Florida rain, heat, etc., I agree with an above post...it's a vacation...who wants to sit in a room and watch TV? We experienced rain one night we were there last week. We didn't go to Fantasmic, (which I heard was in operation somewhat) but we did brave a poncho and go to Qisneyquest. It's water....who is really going to melt?

The witches duh!

DABIGCHEEZ

That is nuts! It rained here for three days without stopping, why run a parade? And why did Piglet and Tigger leave threw the side street and the parade kept going? It looks like they told the cast member they had enough and left.:ROFLOL:

Not exactly true... we were there during TS Faye and it rained one full day non-stop. The other days it was raining hard but on and off with gaps from 10 minutes to a few hours. We had the same thing happen to us at the castle show.. they started it sang one song then the sky opened and off they dashed. When we were at AK the parade was on until the very last minute. The radar had a band coming through and they canceled it... So off to the Yak & Yeti we went for crazy expensive Chinese food.

DABIGCHEEZ

The videos were intersting and brought back memories of those days that I was there with Fay. I really didn't like some of the comments the you tube people posted about the video....some were wondering why Disney would keep the parks open during the tropical storm and basically calling people stupid for going to the parks in that weather. Well, I know in my case I was on vacation from far away, what else was I going to do, sit in my room and stare at the tv all day. I'm very thankful the parks didn't get shut down.

The first day we were in the pool at OKW... swimming in the rain and playing games in their rec center. Kids loved it. They only closed the pools if it was thunder/lightning. That night we bought some ponchos and donned our flipflops and were off to the parks the next few days. It was great, not hot and no lines.
My wife complained about the rain a bit...... but the next week she complained even more about the heat and humidity. :lol:

Kelsybelle

Those costumes must get so heavy when they are drenched like that! I can just imagine poor Alice wringing her wig out! Yikes!

jrh1985

I'm wondering if MK knew the rain was coming. It wasn't in the the first video, but in the second vid, there was no Title Float and opening dancers. Only the new DDCT Banner was in front of Mickey.

With all the doom, gloom, and record rainfall of Fay, it was nice to see MK try to do DDCT that day!

Off Topic: I did not see the Purple DDCT Banner on DDCT videos before the bridge went out. Anyone know if the Banner is here to stay?

kag1984

Those are some great CMs! To be going through a downpour like that while still keeping your spirits up (at least onstage), dancing, and smiling. Pretty impressive. There are not many people I know who would still look happy in that situation. So if any of the CMs are reading this "Job Well Done! Thanks for keeping the magic alive!"

kcw

how do you dry those costumes out without them ruining or something? I can't believe they didn't cancel the parade.

you think those costumes never get washed?? :animwink:

They will always try very hard to get a parade out when it's scheduled to run. Each parade varies, but they'll hold the parade at the gates for 15-30 mins after scheduled step-off time and wait to see if the weather lets up before calling a 101. Like someone mentioned above, the real danger lies in the lightning, not the rain, so that's why you'll sometimes see parades called even when it's not raining right then. Like it was shown in the videos, if a parade has already started when heavy rain hits, the floats that have already stepped off will still finish the route, but the floats will move much faster (but even I was surprised at how closely the Pan float was following villians!!). For a show like DAWM though, they have to call a show in the middle if it gets bad because the dancers' Equity contracts.

And for whoever mentioned it, no, there's no pay "bonus" for performers in a situation like this, though it would be nice!! (especially with how often it pours in orlando!!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom