Magic Kingdom Parade DURING Fay! WOW! -Video-

you think those costumes never get washed?? :animwink:

They will always try very hard to get a parade out when it's scheduled to run. Each parade varies, but they'll hold the parade at the gates for 15-30 mins after scheduled step-off time and wait to see if the weather lets up before calling a 101. Like someone mentioned above, the real danger lies in the lightning, not the rain, so that's why you'll sometimes see parades called even when it's not raining right then. Like it was shown in the videos, if a parade has already started when heavy rain hits, the floats that have already stepped off will still finish the route, but the floats will move much faster (but even I was surprised at how closely the Pan float was following villians!!). For a show like DAWM though, they have to call a show in the middle if it gets bad because the dancers' Equity contracts.

And for whoever mentioned it, no, there's no pay "bonus" for performers in a situation like this, though it would be nice!! (especially with how often it pours in orlando!!)

I figured that they dry cleaned the costumes or something. :D

brkgnews

Anyone else thinking how lucky they were that they WERE on the special route? The "tug" has to be brought out even in moderate rains to get some of the floats over the Liberty Square bridge and up Main Street... this would have been a nice little delay otherwise, leaving the performers in the drench for much longer.

cblodg

I loved that one of the three pigs stopped and started playing in the puddles with some of the viewers. In the second video Jimminy Crickett is the only character to be smartly drawn as he has his umbrella with him and is soooooo dry. I think he may have been taunting some of the characters on the float too.

I agree MEGA KOODOS to the CMs that put on that parade! Well done.

And yes, according to the tag on the YouTube page, the parade had just started when the torential downpour came in.

kcw

Wow, that's actually pretty funny to see now. I feel bad for the performers! :lol:

but think of it this way- if you were performing in a parade, would you rather it be scorching hot with high humidity, so you're sweating up a storm and can barely breathe? Or would you rather be splashing through the puddles and keeping yourself cooled off?? :D

I figured that they dry cleaned the costumes or something. :D

you're right, some are, but some aren't

shoppingnut

This happened when we were in MK in May. It had been raining on and off all day, but the night seemed to have cleared up, but about 10:30p it started raining again and I asked a CM if spectro was cancelled yet for 11p and she said no, so we went back up to the hub and while lightly raining spectro started, but as soon as it got to the top of main street the sky opened up and it downpoured, well that was the fastest spectro I ever saw, the floats that were already out zipped by.

disney4life2008

WOW! And this is why Disneyworld is the top tourist destination in the world!! The cast members are still interacting with the crowd in all the turmoil - basically being drenched and stepping in puddles of water. WOW! I hope everyone got out ok and who ever did these videos- THANK YOU!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom