Magic Kingdom No Longer to be Dry

llrain

you see, its easy to see the generation gap just in this thread. Anyone from an older generation sees the morale of whats going on, that its just not right, all these young kids just dont care about upholding traditions

Goofyernmost

You can put it in any context you want to prove a point. My context: I think they're trying to make this restaurant one of the the more upscale dinning experiences in a Disney theme park...which does require having a wine offering. IMHO.

OK, then let's change it a little and say that attempting to put an upscale dining experience in Fantasyland is a mistake. By reason, it would be a place for family dining with plenty of kids around. It's Fantasyland! Home of the Carousel, Winnie, The Little Mermaid, Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs, Dumbo and others. Hardly an adult venue (yes, I know many adults like it as well, not the point) With the probability of a lot of kids there, what wine goes well with mac & cheese, chicken fingers and fries?:eek:

Walt also said coffee should only cost 25 cents.

Walt likely wanted to avoid people getting drunk on reasonably priced alcohol.

He could have never dreamed the cost of a beer theme parks charge these days. And at these prices, nobody is getting drunk.

Exactly.

I like to have a decent beer with friends, once in a while, but I never order one in a restaurant. Way overpriced.

I can't even imagine beer at a Disney restaurant. Hopefully, it will come with some kind of low interest loan. . .

flynnibus

Premium Member
food is a necessary lifeline, and with more and more crowds in this day and age they have to offer more food...
you cannot compare food offerings to alcohol..this is a bad analogy

It's not about 'more food' - you missed the point. His concept of what a theme park was when he built the park is not a universal constant to be strictly followed for all of time. Walt's ideas continued to evolve, and so did his park. He didn't think of everything.. and some things he thought of he realized he was wrong and went back and fixed. Originally he didn't think the park needed experiences like the Blue Bayou.. but later he added it. He kept moving forward... and there is no knowing at all what he would think of the situation at hand. We can't use statements made within a certain context and apply them blindly to other contexts.

Tigger1988

you see, its easy to see the generation gap just in this thread. Anyone from an older generation sees the morale of whats going on, that its just not right, all these young kids just dont care about upholding traditions
That word doesn't mean what you think it means.

Also I'm sure if we had a full list of Walt's beliefs we'd be horrified. 1950s America is not a time or place I want to live in.

threeyoda

Becuase he was not about greed. He was about family.
Regarding the club 33, can anyone just walk in there and buy a drink? Isnt it a isolated space for VIPs or something...

Yes, it is. And you have absolutely no idea on what Walt would have thought. The only people that might have an idea of what Walt would have thought about things are people who knew him most of his life, which I am sure you did not. Be Our Guest is going to be a very fancy, sit-down dinner place in a theme park for kids, and that alone will discourage most people from drinking excessively, especially since, unlike F&W, most people will be eating there with kids.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This is totally breaking tradition in the name of profits. THis is how todays executives act. They only care about profitting. Even if Walt was alive and absorbed this 21st century attitude I can guarantee you if he were still
around this would not be happening.

Will they make money selling alcohol? Yes. Is that the only reason to sell it? No. Unless you are under 21 or an alcoholic there is nothing wrong with having a drink at dinner. It adds to the experience for me and a lot of other people. It's not about getting drunk. Adding this will enhance the experience at BOG restaurant for a lot of people giving it a chance to compete with high end restaurants outside the park. If it really bothers you that people are drinking there don't eat in the restaurant. There will still be plenty of dry restaurants in the MK. If some people get drunk and are bothering you tell a cast member and they will take care of it.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Becuase he was not about greed. He was about family.
Regarding the club 33, can anyone just walk in there and buy a drink? Isnt it a isolated space for VIPs or something...
And nobody will be able to just walk into this restaurant and buy a drink. You will have to plan 6 months out that you want to eat there and then it is up to you to purchase said drink. Not too many people plan a "bender" six months before the fact.

llrain

but this alcohol thing will eventualy spill out into other areas of the park, theres too much $$ to be made with it. they will soon realize its potential and offer it.

Yes, it is. And you have absolutely no idea on what Walt would have thought. The only people that might have an idea of what Walt would have thought about things are people who knew him most of his life, which I am sure you did not. Be Our Guest is going to be a very fancy, sit-down dinner place in a theme park for kids, and that alone will discourage most people from drinking excessively, especially since, unlike F&W, most people will be eating there with kids.

cbsav

OK, then let's change it a little and say that attempting to put an upscale dining experience in Fantasyland is a mistake. By reason, it would be a place for family dining with plenty of kids around. It's Fantasyland! Home of the Carousel, Winnie, The Little Mermaid, Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs, Dumbo and others. Hardly an adult venue (yes, I know many adults like it as well, not the point) With the probability of a lot of kids there, what wine goes well with mac & cheese, chicken fingers and fries?:eek:

Probably a lighter red with the mac and cheese - Pinot, maybe. And a more full bodied, dry white with the chicken fingers -american chardonnay. ;)

Seriously thought I see your point. But maybe there are parents out there that would like a nicer meal every now and then on vacation, and have no other option but to have their children with them. This gives them that chance (which for all that money they are spending they deserve) and their kids will also be entertained. Win/Win to me. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
And nobody will be able to just walk into this restaurant and buy a drink. You will have to plan 6 months out that you want to eat there and then it is up to you to purchase said drink. Not too many people plan a "bender" six months before the fact.

...unless you are going to Vegas. Then the whole trip is a bender.

themonkeyisthesultan

I'm actually a little surprised that this doesn't bother me more than it does. I was a little shocked at first, but once I found out it would just be in the one restaurant at dinner time it didn't seem like such a bad thing, and I'm not really a drinker (and by "not really a drinker" I mean "I haven't had a sip of alcohol in over two years".)

Don't get me wrong, if a beer stand pops up next to Dumbo, I'll be right there with my torch and pitchfork, but I'm ok with this. For now.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Oh no! Beer in the MK!!! Does anyone know when they are adding the authentic opium dens into Adventureland? I think Frontierland is due for a brothel soon as well!!!

cbsav

Or that the older generation is "stuck" in their traditions and a time gone by, while the younger generation want to be open and flexible to change...but hey, it's your call.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom