Magic Kingdom No Longer to be Dry

orky8

You take things way too literally vs understanding the point. Back in Walt's day.. people rarely ate out. They ate at home. Now, many people eat out more than they eat at home. If we kept by Walt's original ideas, we wouldn't have the dining options we have at all.. and you'd be making the arguement 'well Walt didn't see the need for them'. Yeah, well Walt's ideas were based on a country 50 years ago. This is today, and the ideas of 50 years ago often need to evolve to stay current to the customer base.

The Country is what we make it. Walt understood that.

Scuttle

I wouldn't be surprised to see this be the case. Magic Kingdom opens up a new stream of revenue where all TS restaurants now serve alcohol.

I think they might have to. Be our guest is going to be the most popular dining location in all of WDW due to this.

flynnibus

Premium Member
And nobody will be able to just walk into this restaurant and buy a drink. You will have to plan 6 months out that you want to eat there and then it is up to you to purchase said drink. Not too many people plan a "bender" six months before the fact.

buhahah

Scuttle

Context. I think Walt's exclusion of alcohol had more to do with concerns regarding the view of amusement parks at the time. He himself enjoyed a drink. Walt also was not the one selling most of the food when Disneyland opened, that was handled by outsourced concessionaires. I do miss the bit of tradition, but its not a big issue and not even much of a detail in my book.

Good point on Walt. He not only enjoyed a drink, but he smoked like a chimney and cursed like a sailor.

John

What was the reason alcohol wasnt....hasnt been sold in MK till now? Why isnt that reason valid now? because we have to change? Change isnt always best you know. In California marijuana is legal....attitudes have changed....should we allow that in smoking areas? If it is ONLY going to be one resturant.....whats the point? Not everyone will be able to get in. Anyone who dosnt think this is just the begining of most resturants serveing alcohol is just kidding themselves. Me? I couldnt care less if they sell it or not.....I just dont see the point of doing it in the first place. What irkes me is the fact it is about the money....plain and simple.K did fine without it all these years. I dont think many guest said......I am not going to MK because they dont serve alcohol. The tooth paste is now out of the tube. Maybe not six months but within a short period of time alcohol will be served all over the park.

cbsav

And nobody will be able to just walk into this restaurant and buy a drink. You will have to plan 6 months out that you want to eat there and then it is up to you to purchase said drink. Not too many people plan a "bender" six months before the fact.

Wait a minute...how long out do you plan your benders?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
you see, its easy to see the generation gap just in this thread. Anyone from an older generation sees the morale of whats going on, that its just not right, all these young kids just dont care about upholding traditions

I guess that makes me a young kid!!! Haven't been called that in a while.

Tigger1988

What was the reason alcohol wasnt....hasnt been sold in MK till now? Why isnt that reason valid now? because we have to change? Change isnt always best you know. In California marijuana is legal....attitudes have changed....should we allow that in smoking areas? If it is ONLY going to be one resturant.....whats the point? Not everyone will be able to get in. Anyone who dosnt think this is just the begining of most resturants serveing alcohol is just kidding themselves. Me? I couldnt care less if they sell it or not.....I just dont see the point of doing it in the first place. What irkes me is the fact it is about the money....plain and simple.K did fine without it all these years. I dont think many guest said......I am not going to MK because they dont serve alcohol. The tooth paste is now out of the tube. Maybe not six months but within a short period of time alcohol will be served all over the park.
Does the opening of the restaurant itself irk you? Because it's opening for no other reason than to make money. Just like everything else in the park(s) it's there to bring in revenue.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If it is ONLY going to be one resturant.....whats the point?

Maybe the point is 'stop treating it special' ? On Micechat.. someone used the term 'Sacred Cow'.. that's fitting because this isn't special in anyone's mind except in the context of Disney.

Take down the pedestal... the drunks aren't going to storm the gates of the castle.

Long hair didn't bring down the kingdom.. and Walt didn't like that either.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Just as the US Constitution was designed to be flexible, it appears that the Disney (Magic Kingdom) Constitution is doing the same. The 1st Ammendment.... allowing CM's to have facial hair. Now comes the 2nd Ammendment.... allowing alcohol sales in the MK.

I for one, couldn't figure out how the BoG restaurant was going to be able to support all that high-end food without wine....I was quite perplexed. I find the addition of wine and beer completely acceptable. I'm hoping that this "experiment" eventually carries over to Tony's, which is desperate for a menu improvement. Maybe we'd even get a pirate restaurant in the old Adventureland Verrandah location and how about the once proposed Astronomer's Club for Tomorrowland. To round it out, a great steak house in Frontierland would be awesome.

Just my thoughts.....

TalkingHead

you see, its easy to see the generation gap just in this thread. Anyone from an older generation sees the morale of whats going on, that its just not right, all these young kids just dont care about upholding traditions

Yeah, definitely a generation thing. :rolleyes: Sounds more like a puritanical thing to me.

The only reasons to object to this would be if you subscribe to the ridiculous notion that MK isn't part of the real world (actually it is), or if you think alcohol is evil (in which case you must also avoid all the other parks).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom