Magic Kingdom No Longer to be Dry

Uncle Lupe

So only time will tell if this stays in this one location. I have to agree that if you start to see domestic beer at Cosmic Rays that would be disappointing. In the meantime I need help with my pairings.

What menu items pair with Coke, Sprite and Mellow Yellow?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So only time will tell if this stays in this one location. I have to agree that if you start to see domestic beer at Cosmic Rays that would be disappointing. In the meantime I need help with my pairings.

What menu items pair with Coke, Sprite and Mellow Yellow?

Since coke is a darker, heavy bodied cola I would suggest the cheeseburger. Definitely chicken nuggets with Sprite. Mellow Yellow is pretty much Mt Dew which really only goes with taco bell so I guess the tacos.

Uncle Lupe

Since coke is a darker, heavy bodied cola I would suggest the cheeseburger. Definitely chicken nuggets with Sprite. Mellow Yellow is pretty much Mt Dew which really only goes with taco bell so I guess the tacos.

I was wondering about the BoG menu. But now that you make the taco reference, I do always get Mt. Dew at Taco Bell. :D

basas

Dang it.

Keep alcohol out of a family park! There are a million other places to drink.

Well said.

If this is true, I'm extremely disappointed. If you can't go a day without alcohol, stay home. The Magic Kingdom is supposed to be a family-friendly destination, but this represents yet another case of family-values thrown out the window. It seems Disney only cares about making a quick buck...shame on them.

tomman710

Transcript from Fantasyland 9-2-12 Meeting Notes

TDO Exec #1: "Everyone is complaining that our new Fantasyland is just for kids, they say our Belle show won't appeal to anyone over six ..."

TDO Exec #2: "I like it."

TDO Exec #1: "What do we do to include all members of the family?"

TDO Exec #3: "Kids can't drink alcohol, right?"

TDO Exec #2: "I'll look it up ..."

TDO Exec #1: "Ooo alcohol has a high profit margin. I love where your head is at ... do we serve alcohol in the magic kingdom park?"

TDO Exec #4: "No."

TDO Exec #3: "Yea it has something to do with the original founder of Walt Disney World, what's his name ... I forget but ... anyway he's dead."

TDO Exec #1: "Yeah he's dead and it has high profit margins!"

TDO Exec #2: "Ok ... Yes it says here on Wikipedia that the drinking age is 21 ..."

TDO Exec #1: "Perfect now the whole family is included ... we'll show all those fools that said the new fantasy area land is just geared towards kids! And we'll make some nice bank!"

TDO Exec #5: "You know with the extra revenue maybe we should plan to invest some in maintainenxe and new ... hahaha ... I'm sorry I couldn't even finish ... I can't do it hahaha ..."

TDO Exec #1: "Hahaha ... classic ... anywho ..."

RSoxNo1

I found the Chimay Blue on the beer menu for $8 at Eulogy in Philly (great bar with a 5 page beer menu and reasonably priced beers). They are charging $10.50 so not an outrageous markup for a theme park restaurant. Hoegaarden for $6.25 seems reasonable too. No clue about the other 2.
My uncle used to have a Hoe Garden.

dman1373

I think what some people find odd is that it's not odd, LOL.

Basically, if you are a drinker, you think it's odd that you cannot get alcohol in a theme park. To people who do not drink, it is odd that people find it odd that not every place you go serves beer or liquor.

I have a friend who has to deal with this issue constantly, and it's quite amusing. Her husband comes from a "dry" family, and my friend comes from a family where, I kid you not, at a 2 year-old's noontime birthday party, has a case of champagne for the adults. One family thinks that's insane, the other thinks it would be insane not to.

I don't really drink (honestly just never found anything I liked the taste of, it's nothing to do with the effects or any other issue), so I do notice when others have more alcohol-centric views. To people who have those views they would debate "-centric", as in many places it's "normal" - but when alcohol is part of one's daily life, or is missed when not part of a theme park experience, I do notice.

Honestly I personally don't care, as long as there aren't beer carts everywhere (mostly because I find the smell terrible), but I do find it fascinating to see the different perspectives and that some people really do think about/drink every day. It's foreign to me, I guess that's why I find it interesting.

You took my statement out of context, as if you even read the follow up sentence you would know what i was talking about. I was saying places like the taverns seem like they should have beer, because there taverns, or the sit downs seem like they should have wine. And this is not my obsession with having alcohol everyday, infact im not a big drinker, its me seeing that it fits the theme of the area.

I mean its quite silly that you are so judgmental that you have to not only talk about your friend badly on a public forum but also try to change my words around so you can look down at me for having a "alcohol centric life".

And with your one comment you have turned this from tradition vs change to a disgusting bad mouthing fest. Thank you for that

AEfx

You took my statement out of context, as if you even read the follow up sentence you would know what i was talking about. I was saying places like the taverns seem like they should have beer, because there taverns, or the sit downs seem like they should have wine. And this is not my obsession with having alcohol everyday, infact im not a big drinker, its me seeing that it fits the theme of the area.

I mean its quite silly that you are so judgmental that you have to not only talk about your friend badly on a public forum but also try to change my words around so you can look down at me for having a "alcohol centric life".

And with your one comment you have turned this from tradition vs change to a disgusting bad mouthing fest. Thank you for that

Wow, calm down, guy.

I was not speaking of you specifically, just the notion itself that some people find it odd not to have it, that you mentioned and I quoted. That's why I only quoted that portion. I was commenting on what one may find odd, another may not. There were no judgements on you whatsoever, I don't know you or your drinking tendencies. I did you use the word "you" once, but in the context I assumed it would be understood as to "you" the reader, not specifically to you dman1373, as you are correct you didn't say you were a big drinker. I should have used the word "one" I guess. I'll be more careful next time.

As to my friend, I actually sent her the thread and she found it amusing - because she has a sense of humor about the topic and doesn't get all defensive over such things.

Again, I apologize if you thought I was speaking of you in particular - maybe a beer might calm your nerves? ;)

KIDDING! LOL.

Anyhow, back to the original topic, no matter what your thoughts on this - I think anyone would think the following CNN headline wasn't terribly helpful to WDW's image : "Booze Comes to Disney World".

This has nothing to do with 'not being able to go a day without alcohol'. It's down to the fact that wine is, and has been for literally thousands of years, a civilised (not drunken hedonistic) part of having a multi-course celebratory meal. If you need to have a beer with your pretzel every time, fair enough. But this isn't the case.

America has probably the most backward views about alcohol outside of the Muslim world. It really is ridiculous that wine and beer with a meal can be considered an attack on family values and don't even get me started on the fact that the drinking age is 21. In Europe alcohol is seen as a part of life and children are brought up to respect good quality products. It's is not unusual for children under 10 to be given a watered down glass of wine with a meal at home. It is respected because hundreds of years of work has gone into producing excellent quality produce to enhance the taste and dining experience. Not to get wasted and vomit on the teacups.

Those against this need to really see the difference between alcohol for getting drunk, and alcohol to enhance a dining experience. Family values aren't just preserved for the teetotal, white Christian traditional parenting families. They come in all shapes and sizes. The world would be a far nicer and inclusive place if people realised this.

draybook

I'm extremely disappointed in TDO for this decision. I realize that they're not going to be lugging a 12 pack to your table so it's not like it's going to be a frat party. For me it's just about the tradition. There are 3 other parks that serve alcohol, is that not enough? And I had champagne with our anniversary dinner last September at the California Grill. I don't remember it "enhancing" my meal.

I really don't know how this is going to affect us, because we enjoy Disney. However, Universal is really starting to do better as a whole and we're getting pretty disappointed in Disney selling out left and right. They won't control unruly guests or bad behavior, but I guess squeezing out more bucks is more important than a quality product and show.

We check in today to POFQ, so Disney has a week to convince us on why we shouldn't just take our money to Universal or out west, where they still care about putting out quality.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well said.

If this is true, I'm extremely disappointed. If you can't go a day without alcohol, stay home. The Magic Kingdom is supposed to be a family-friendly destination, but this represents yet another case of family-values thrown out the window. It seems Disney only cares about making a quick buck...shame on them.

I don't really think anyone is saying they can't go a day without alcohol. I haven't closely read all 23 pages so it's possible I am wrong. If you are in that camp you should probably seek help.

For the rest of us who just like to have a glass of wine or beer with dinner we are not bad parents. We do not lack family values. I will say this yet again, you have every right to raise your family in an environment that is completely free of alcohol if that is your preference. I will respect your choice and you should respect mine. I grew up in a family where the adults had a beer at a family BBQ or a glass of wine at dinner. My kids grow up in the same environment. If kids witness adults drinking responsibly they are probably more likely to be responsible drinkers as adults. To your point about staying home, if seeing adults have a glass of wine or beer with dinner upsets you or corrupts your children in some way just avoid that restaurant. There are still plenty of places to eat in the MK that are dry.

To your point on profits, I agree alcohol has a high markup. I disagree that the only reason to do this is to make money. It enhances the dining experience for a large portion of guests too. If it was just a money grab they would have beer carts on main street and shot girls walking around during wishes. If any of that happens I will be the first one to object.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I was wondering about the BoG menu. But now that you make the taco reference, I do always get Mt. Dew at Taco Bell. :D
Sorry. Thought you meant Cosmic Rays. The food at BOG actually looks pretty good. I am pretty much a coke drinker exclusively when drinking soft drinks except for the dew at the bell since they only have Pepsi products.

puntagordabob

I think that served at only this one location it is fine.... if it starts to spread out to Cosmic Rays and many of the other locations then THAT is a bad idea.

DisneyLeo18

I actually think this is a good idea.

As one other poster mentioned, on a hot Florida day walking around the parks all day, a nice cold one would really hit the spot. Charge $8-$10 and people will only have one, two max.

Times change

bubbles1812

After being without Internet access many a week due to location, the first article that popped up in my news feed was that MK was going to start serving alcohol! So I just had to come on here and see what people were saying right away! Needless to say, this thread has been quite the amusing read.

I don't have a problem with alcohol being served at BOG. It fits well thematically and as it appears they are trying to really sell it as a signature experience..alcohol kind of comes with the territory, if you look at all the other signature restaurants in DW. I do see this policy probably eventually spreading to at least some of the other restaurants in the MK, which, again, I won't really have a problem with. There are some places in MK where having alcohol available for dinner (where it can't be taken outside) thematically makes sense again. The only thing I would have a problem with is if beer kiosks popped up but I don't see that happening. Restaurants are fine.

I get where the traditionalists are coming from but I'm with those who say times change and I think Walt would have changed/adapted too. If there is one thing Walt proved in his life time, it's that he was adaptable to change (and very often the instigator of it). I think it's honestly somewhat silly to try to apply what he thought about things such as alcohol 50 years ago to now...different times, different beliefs, really a totally different culture. Does that mean I'm just dismissing all that he has said? No. I just don't think everything he said should be taken so literally and to try to conform the parks today exactly to how the world was when Walt was alive.

PirateFrank

Sorry that so many people think "tradition" is violated with this. It's ironic that some of the same people who feel this way, have no issue with Avatarland...despite it being equally, if not more, un-characteristic for disney. Hell, why wasn't there this big uproar when cast members were granted the permission to grow facial hair?

I personally hope this is a first step. I think it would be fantastic for there to be a location to buy a Sam Adams in Liberty Square and not just *inside* a restaurant...to grab some rum in adventureland. So many possibilities....

as said already, Times Change. Good on TDO for making a good decision for once....

Victor Kelly

23 pages and still going :) Hopefully it stays in the restaurant, and no carts show up. Having done security work, I know that with alcohol, the idiots will make an appearance. Seen it plenty in Epcot and Universal and all the entertainment venues in Florida. I grant you that the people that can handle their booze the most are the ones only having one maybe two drinks with dinner. It is the people that cannot handle the booze that concerns me.

That it will be sold, does not bother me much. I don't drink a lot. When I do I get silly and happy. I actually mellow out more. It is not something that is going to destroy the parks. Now a rum laced Dole whip, I would certainly try, especially if it is Malibu rum.

EvilQueen-T

i don't understand why everyone is getting so upset over the change. we go multiple times a year and i don't see people acting any different at mk than they do at epcot, dhs, or ak where they can buy alcohol. sober or dinking some are rude some are nice. the only time i see even a little bit of difference in people when it comes to drinking is at epcot during food and wine and that's not enough of a big deal not to go or take the kids.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom