Magic Kingdom Bus Loop expansion

ASilmser

They should add some of those new projection effects that we have been seeing lately on attractions like mystic manor, the fireworks preshow at Cinderella's castle or even the concept model for Disney Springs. I remember visiting the first "New Fantasyland" at Disneyland in the 80's and being blown away by the fiber-optic effects they added to PPF. I can't believe the never did the same thing to WDW's version. They are more than 25 years past due for an upgrade on this attraction. With the projection technology, they could keep it essentially the same yet make it so much more "magical". Imagine the volcano with projected animated lava flows, or The streets of London with even brighter lights and traffic, or Tinkerbell actually floating through the scenes leaving a trail of pixie dust behind her. The possibilities are endless, and would not involve a significant change of the overall infrastructure of the attraction.

nepalostparks

As of Saturday, 6/29/13:

IMG_9150.JPG

IMG_9151.JPG

Goofnut1980

So is it one or two new sets of loading areas??? and holy cow, you will be walking for miles just to get to the entrance if you are the last stop... It was bad enough when they put Pop at the far end of the 2nd loop, but what will it be like from the 4th!

Edit: Will they provide scooter pick up from the last drop off?? I will need one!

Last edited:

harryk

I expect that they will drop you off towards the front of the area and then move the bus to the terminal where they pick up guest. Similar to what happens at the EPCOT bus terminal.

mrerk

Premium Member
Articulated busses require large areas to make their turns. You can expect to see modifications in other terminals to accomodate them.

I spent about an hour waiting to pick up someone at Logan Airport and saw quite a few of these pass through. They really didn't seem to take turns any wider than the non articulated busses.

devoy1701

Considering that the Monorail is still more or less operating at the same capacity as it did when there were only 2000 hotel rooms onsite, it's no wonder they can't keep up with the demand. I really wish they were willing to put some thought (and money) into a different solution.

Rob562

Considering that the Monorail is still more or less operating at the same capacity as it did when there were only 2000 hotel rooms onsite, it's no wonder they can't keep up with the demand. I really wish they were willing to put some thought (and money) into a different solution.

I know a reliable CM who's said that they *have* put thought/done studies into alternate ideas, including a property-wide PRT system. The one major sticking point has always been the post-fireworks crowd dump from the MK. No system that they looked at could handle it. (Or at the very least would require filling in a large chunk of the lagoon in front of the MK to make a station complex large enough to handle the crowd)

Unfortunately for now buses offer the most flexibility.

-Rob

ToTBellHop

I know a reliable CM who's said that they *have* put thought/done studies into alternate ideas, including a property-wide PRT system. The one major sticking point has always been the post-fireworks crowd dump from the MK. No system that they looked at could handle it. (Or at the very least would require filling in a large chunk of the lagoon in front of the MK to make a station complex large enough to handle the crowd)

Unfortunately for now buses offer the most flexibility.

-Rob
Given that Disney is going that route, the roads need SERIOUS work.

Rob562

Given that Disney is going that route, the roads need SERIOUS work.

I'm still waiting for them to build that "flyover" at the MK parking plaza that would connect the southbound side of World Drive above the plaza to the main southbound portion below the plaza. That would eliminate 2/3 of the buses leaving the MK from having to make that jog past the TTC and the Poly. (The other 1/3 are the buses that turn left onto Vista Blvd and go past Fort Wilderness)

Of any transportation-related project in WDW, that's one of the most easily-justifiable.

-Rob

ToTBellHop

I'm still waiting for them to build that "flyover" at the MK parking plaza that would connect the southbound side of World Drive above the plaza to the main southbound portion below the plaza. That would eliminate 2/3 of the buses leaving the MK from having to make that jog past the TTC and the Poly. (The other 1/3 are the buses that turn left onto Vista Blvd and go past Fort Wilderness)

Of any transportation-related project in WDW, that's one of the most easily-justifiable.

-Rob
Oh I hate that. Those speed bumps SUCK when you are standing in a jam packed bus at 11 pm after Wishes.

devoy1701

-Rob
Agreed. It wouldn't even take that much. All they would need is an overpass over the entrance lanes of the parking lot. We're talking 1500 ft of roadway.

ToTBellHop

What kind of work? As in, more ramps and lanes? Or repairs to existing? Last time I was there (November) the roads seemed to be in pretty good shape.
New lanes, new ramps, new roads altogether with better accessibility. And maybe, just maybe, breakdown lanes. Traffic flow is also a nightmare in many areas. Traffic lights and stop signs where highways and ramps would be better.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I spent about an hour waiting to pick up someone at Logan Airport and saw quite a few of these pass through. They really didn't seem to take turns any wider than the non articulated busses.

I've ridden many times on the MBTA Silver Line articulated buses in Boston. You'd be surprised at how well they pass through congested traffic situations. They do use their own dedicated lanes on busy streets; yet, they maneuver amazingly well through some tight spots.

Tom

Beta Return
New lanes, new ramps, new roads altogether with better accessibility. And maybe, just maybe, breakdown lanes. Traffic flow is also a nightmare in many areas. Traffic lights and stop signs where highways and ramps would be better.

Ok, yup. I'll give you all that for sure. I know a lot of people prefer driving while at WDW, but not me. I hate trying to navigate their road system. We had a car last May and drove the first few days. That was enough for me - back to the bus. It never fails that I end up headed the wrong direction because I didn't interpret a vague purple sign properly. Or I'd be in the far right lane, in a mass of cars, and discover I need to turn left.

When there's an accident, everything comes to a halt.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom