Magic Express

DisneyRoxMySox

Other companies, such as Mears and some Town Car Services will lose money, but not much. There are plenty of other hotels in the Orlando Area. Assuming the DME will only travel to Disney owned and operated resorts ?

bhg469

This has got to spell the end of mears. I have no real statistics but i would make a guess that at least 75% of their business is taking people to disney resorts.

The only thing im wondering how disney can do much better than mears. The only thing i can think of is dedicated busses to each resort. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

s25843

bhg469 said:
This has got to spell the end of mears. I have no real statistics but i would make a guess that at least 75% of their business is taking people to disney resorts.
I ususally use Happy Limo, but on my last trip I was alone and used Mears (Never, Never Again). However, there were only 2 of us that ended up going to a Disney owned hotel.. The rest were all I-Drive...

s25843

Disney's Magical Express Delivers 'Hassle-Free Travel'
for Disney Hotel Guests

(LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. - Tuesday, Dec. 28, 2004) -- Walt Disney World announced an innovative new service today called "Disney's Magical Express" which offers complimentary airport shuttle, luggage delivery and airline check in for Disney hotel guests.

Beginning May 5, 2005, guests of Disney hotels* using Disney's Magical Express service can check their bags at their hometown airport, bypass baggage claim at Orlando International Airport (OIA) and board state-of-the-art motor coaches to the Walt Disney World Resort - as their bags "magically" appear in their room upon check in. The round-trip service, which is available and complimentary during Disney's Happiest Celebration on Earth event (which also begins May 5, 2005), is designed to give Disney hotel guests the stress-free vacation they want.

With Disney's Magical Express service, a family of four can save more than $80 (based on round trip shuttle or taxi transportation, plus tip, for two adults and two children).

"We are extremely excited to add Disney's Magical Express to the extensive list of ways we make Disney guests' vacations easier and more enjoyable," said Al Weiss, president of Walt Disney World Resort. "In essence, this benefit provides a hassle-free experience for our guests from the airport to our hotel room door and back again."

"Disney's Magical Express service will set new standards for convenience, value and comfort for guests traveling between the airport and Walt Disney World Resort," Weiss added. "Orlando International Airport is one of the premiere airports in the world. We believe Disney's Magical Express will not only transform the airport experience for Disney hotel guests, but will further enhance the world-class status of OIA and drive additional visitation to Central Florida."

* Disney's Magical Express service will not be available to guests of the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin hotels, the Shades of Green and the seven hotels near Hotel Plaza Boulevard.

How Disney's Magical Express service works:

Disney's Magical Express must be booked at least 10 days prior to arrival through disneyworld.com, Disney Reservation Center by calling 407-W-DISNEY or a travel agent beginning Jan. 2, 2005. The service commences May 5, 2005.
Guests check their specially-tagged luggage at their departure airport.
Upon arrival in Orlando, guests bypass airport baggage claim and go directly to the Disney Airport Welcome Center.
Guests board state-of-the-art motor coaches that take them to their Disney hotel.
A team of Disney representatives at the airport will pick up guests' luggage and transport it to their hotel room.
Disney's Magical Express service makes guests' return to OIA hassle-free as well. This convenient system lets guests flying with participating airlines avoid airport check-in lines by enabling passengers on domestic flights to check their luggage and receive a boarding pass before ever departing their Disney hotel. As an added benefit, guests with flight departures later in the day no longer have to worry about their luggage after they check out of their hotel. They can simply check their luggage at the Resort Airline Check-in Desk and then enjoy the last day of their stay.
In addition to partners at Orlando International Airport, Walt Disney World developed this innovative service in conjunction with private and public sector leaders including: the Mears Transportation Group, the largest provider of ground transportation to the Walt Disney World Resort; BAGS Inc., the provider and innovator in off-airport passenger check-in services for the hotel, convention, cruise and airline industries; ARINC Incorporated, a leading global provider of technology systems for airports and airlines; the Transportation Security Administration; and airline partners including: American Airlines, Continental Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Song, United Airlines and Ted. Walt Disney World hopes to add other air carriers to the resort airline check-in service in the near future.

Congressman John L. Mica (FL-7), Chairman of the U.S. House Subcommittee on Aviation, called Disney's announcement "welcome news."

"Not only does resort airline check-in provide a convenience for the traveler, it also helps to expedite and improve security checks by reducing congestion during the busiest times," Mica said. "By combining Walt Disney World Resort's destination volume and operational expertise with BAGS' innovative processes and exclusive technology, a new industry model will be established."

Disney's Magic Your Way

Disney's Magical Express is the newest addition to Disney's Magic Your Way program, an exciting new plan, which allows Walt Disney World guests to create their own tickets and vacation packages for a customized vacation. Starting Jan. 2, Walt Disney World Resort guests will be able to purchase tickets to the various theme parks, attractions and other entertainment offerings that are tailored to the length of their vacation and the interests of their group - and allow them to save more per day based on their length of stay. Under Magic Your Way, a family of four will be able to enjoy a six-night/seven-day Walt Disney World vacation - including a stay at a Disney Value hotel, with theme park tickets - for as little as $1,500.

Disney's Magical Express is also added to the long list of premier benefits that are afforded to guests staying at Disney hotels. This includes the recently-announced Extra Magic Hours, where each day one of our theme parks opens one hour early or stays open up to three hours after regular park closing for guests of select Walt Disney World Resort hotels. **

"Disney's Magical Express adds even more value to a Walt Disney World vacation," Weiss said. "And with the myriad of new attractions and shows premiering this spring in conjunction with the Happiest Celebration on Earth - our global celebration marking 50 years of Disney theme park magic - the timing couldn't be more perfect."

Booking Disney's Magical Express

Walt Disney World guests can book Disney's Magical Express starting Jan. 2 along with the new Disney's Magic Your Way tickets and packages. Guests can log onto the new disneyworld.com, call the Disney Reservations Center at 407-W-DISNEY or contact their travel

bhg469

state-of-the-art motor coaches ? im wondering if they will be the same as the resort transportation. butbeing able to bypass the airports baggage claim :sohappy: :sohappy: except what happnes if they lose your luggage at the airport its gonna take you that much longer to realize it.... :confused:

wannabeBelle

Pretty darn slick if you ask me!!!!!!!! This will also drive people to not be so quick to rent a car hence making it harder to visit other destinations in the area such as Universal, Wet & Wild, Seaworld etc. Keep the people on your property for as long as they can and it will translate to more revenue!!!! Great Business move Disney!!! Ill be booking for my May trip!!! Belle

wannab@dis

It appears they will allow you to "check-in" for your flight, get your boarding passes, and check your luggage from the resort. This appears far more efficient especially if you have a late flight out and want to spend some time in the parks.

I wonder if the busses will be resort specific and will you be able to catch the return busses from locations other than the resorts? It also appears that Disney has once again partnered with Mears to provide the bus services.

epcotfan

except what happnes if they lose your luggage at the airport its gonna take you that much longer to realize it....

That's what I was thinking.

I think I will still prefer to use a towncar or taxi. I like handling my own luggage and would hate to have to wait to access it if I needed something out of my bag.

Invero

bhg469 said:
state-of-the-art motor coaches ? im wondering if they will be the same as the resort transportation. butbeing able to bypass the airports baggage claim :sohappy: :sohappy: except what happnes if they lose your luggage at the airport its gonna take you that much longer to realize it.... :confused:
They will be using motor coaches, not transit buses. My guess is that it will be along the same lines as the DCL coaches -- VanHool C2045, with a Disney's Magic Express type livery.

Invero

Yup... those are VanHool C2045 coaches. Not particularly fond of the window wrap though. They'll cover too much of the real window, impacting on passenger view.

TTATraveler

I wonder how they are going to make this different from Mears? I really hope that they will have buses dedicated to certian resorts. If each resort will have its own bus, this is great. I can see something like POR/POFQ on one bus, All Stars on another, CBR/Pop on another, OKW/Saratoga on another, Poly/GF on another, Contemp/WL, on another, CSR/AKL on another, and YC/BC/BW on another. I hope something like this or each resort having its own bus happens.

I like the concept,:cool: I just hope it is executed properly. I am also glad that Continental is participating, since I mostly fly with them.:)

crazydaveh

I think it's a great idea!

The only thing I see is that after flying, sometimes you want to go straight to your room and shower and change clothes. How long will it take for your baggage to get there so you can do this? Of course, this is assuming the airlines haven't lost it!

I always have to pick people up at the airport, so this will be nice for those us of who just want to meet everyone at the hotel!

tim5055

Here is the press release:

New luggage delivery service offered by Disney

The Associated Press
December 28, 2004, 5:59 PM EST

ORLANDO -- Walt Disney World is eliminating waits at the airport luggage carousel for its theme park visitors arriving in Orlando.

Starting in May, the resort will begin offering a service that lets visitors on domestic flights, staying at Disney hotels, check their luggage at their hometown airports and bypass waiting at the luggage carousel at Orlando International Airport, company officials said Tuesday.

Visitors should find their luggage in their Disney hotel rooms at check-in after arriving at the resort by motor coaches provided by Disney World.

The service will be complimentary during the 18 months of Disney's ``Happiest Celebration on Earth,'' which commemorates the 50th anniversary of the opening of Disneyland, the company's first theme park. Details, such as cost, haven't been worked out for the service beyond the celebration.

``We want to make it easier to get to the property and this is the way to do that,'' said Al Weiss, president of Walt Disney World Resort.

Disney World has provided a similar service for guests who sail out of Port Canaveral on its two cruise ships. But the service for the theme park resort will be on a much larger scale, handling tens of thousands of pieces of luggage daily since Disney World has almost 20 resorts.

Visitors need to make a reservation for the Disney's Magical Express service 10 days before their arrival so they can receive specially-marked baggage tags. The airlines participating in the service include American Airlines, Continental Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Song, United Airlines and Ted.

Visitors will be able to use the service in reverse when leaving by obtaining their flight boarding pass and checking their luggage at the Disney hotel.

Invero

tim5055 said:
The service will be complimentary during the 18 months of Disney's ``Happiest Celebration on Earth,'' which commemorates the 50th anniversary of the opening of Disneyland, the company's first theme park. Details, such as cost, haven't been worked out for the service beyond the celebration.
aha... the real catch... :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom