Magic Express

CaptainMichael

This is great. The whole reason that we didn't fly on our last trip was because of the price oftransportation to and from the Wilderness Lodge. We live in Louisiana, so the drive is not too long, but long enough where you wish you could fly. It will also allow us more time at the parks, we usually have to leave around midday to be back by that night.

TravisMT81

InsideOtherPark said:
Do you belive it now TravisMT81?

I have known this has been coming for years, but since many things have been cut or delayed out of the destination disney plan I hestitate in getting excited until it is official. After being on this site for years you sorta just wait till the official word after so many people on here go "well a friend of a brother of a sister of a castmember that work in custodial told me" kinda situation happens here a lot.

The luggage situation is going to be just like DCL, I think it is a great idea but I know most people at the high end resorts are still going to want a limo or towncar.

I also wonder how they are dealing with gtd the luggage, I know the bellmen are going to hate this.

919Florida

I feel so sorry for all of the private town car companies and other transportation options in Orlando. They sure are going to take a big hit with this. There is no way for the little guys to compete anymore. So sad :(

maelstrom

wannabeBelle said:
This will also drive people to not be so quick to rent a car hence making it harder to visit other destinations in the area such as Universal, Wet & Wild, Seaworld etc.

I think that the people who rent a car will continue to do so. We visit Old Town, Shell World, Olive Garden (because the one on 192 is the best), Publix (multiple times), Celebration, and drive down 192 at least once or twice. This is part of our routine and couldn't be cut out. For other families like mine, the car will continue to be a necessity. I'm all about ease, but for my family, renting a car and driving ourselves to WDW is much easier. Plus, I don't trust them with my luggage. I don't trust the airline with my luggage either, but that's an entirely different story. :wave:

Do you think they built the mini golf courses to keep people on property? We used to always go off property to play. I bet they noticed that people did that or took a survey or something to find out what people most went off property for.

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Here is the information that I recieved.

Walt Disney World® Resort has announced an innovative new service called Disney's Magical Express which offers complimentary airport shuttle, luggage delivery and airline check in for Disney hotel guests*.

Beginning May 5, Disney's Magical Express will allow guests to check their bags at their hometown airport, bypass baggage claim at Orlando International Airport (OIA) and board luxury motor coaches to the Walt Disney World® Resort - as their bags "magically" appear in their room upon check in. The round-trip service, which is available and complimentary during Disney's Happiest Celebration on Earth event (which also begins May 5, 2005), is patterned after the successful Disney Cruise Line model and designed to give Disney hotel guests the stress-free vacation they want.

Disney's Magical Express service makes guests' return to OIA hassle-free as well. This convenient system lets guests avoid airport check-in lines by enabling passengers on domestic flights** to check their luggage and receive a boarding pass before departing their Disney hotel. Guests with flight departures later in the day no longer have to worry about their luggage after they check out of their hotel. They can simply check their luggage at the Resort Airline Check-in Desk and then enjoy the last day of their stay.

In addition to partners at OIA, Walt Disney World developed this innovative service in conjunction with private and public sector leaders including: the Mears Transportation Group, the largest provider of ground transportation to the Walt Disney World Resort; BAGS Inc., the provider and innovator in off-airport passenger check-in services for the hotel, convention, cruise and airline industries; ARINC Incorporated, a leader in transportation communications and systems engineering; the Transportation Security Administration; and airline partners.

*Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin hotel, the seven hotels on and near Hotel Plaza Boulevard, and Shades of Green are not included.

**Participating airlines include American, Continental, Delta, Song, United and Ted. Walt Disney World hopes to add other air carriers to the Resort Airline Check-In service in the near future.

jcraycraft

Here is the Orlando Sentinel story posted today:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...9,1,1784567.story?coll=orl-business-headlines

Thousands of tourists staying at Walt Disney World hotels will be able to check luggage and print boarding passes hours before arriving at the airport, Disney said Tuesday, a service the company hopes will free up visitors to spend extra time and money at its theme parks.

The service, slated to begin in May, will be available to passengers on a half-dozen major airlines and includes an optional free shuttle ride to and from Orlando International Airport.

"They can go out and enjoy the parks for that whole day," Walt Disney World President Al Weiss said in an interview. "They don't have to worry about getting to the airport," and waiting in lines to check bags or pick up a boarding pass.

The service also will allow tourists a little more time upon arrival. They can check their bags at their home airports and have the luggage delivered directly to their Disney hotels, skipping the potentially long waits by the baggage carousels.

Disney is not the first local hotelier to offer such a service. But with more than 25,000 hotel rooms -- just under 25 percent of Orlando's supply -- it is certainly the largest. Last year, Orlando-based Baggage Airline Guest Services, or BAGS, began a similar pilot program at the Rosen Centre Hotel on International Drive and has expanded it to a handful of other locations, including the convention center.

"This is the next wave of service in American travel," said BAGS owner Craig Mateer. The company is partnering with Disney to implement its service.

It covers flights on American Airlines, Continental Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Song, United Airlines and Ted, a group Disney hopes will expand.

Under the service, tourists will be able to print out boarding passes and check bags at their hotels before leaving for the airport. Travelers still will need to pass through security checks at Orlando International, but their bags will be delivered ahead of time.

Disney officials said they do not plan to charge for the service for at least the first 18 months.

Federal transportation officials said Disney estimated the service would process between 1 million and 1.5 million bags during the first year. The airport processes about 100,000 bags per day, or 36.5 million bags per year.

It's unclear what the new program will cost Disney, but it could easily run into the millions. At the Rosen Centre, the bags and boarding pass service costs $10 per traveler. Round-trip shuttle service from Disney to the airport costs about $30 per adult through Mears Transportation, a major provider of shuttle services from the airport.

Disney is contracting with Mears to operate its new free shuttle program.

Disney hopes to make its money back by encouraging repeat visitation and, more importantly, freeing up tourists to spend an extra day at its parks.

Direct-to-hotel baggage delivery services were in limited use across the country prior to Sept. 11, 2001, but reviews of airport security after the terrorist attacks halted those programs.

Disney and BAGS officials said they had to work closely with the Transportation Security Administration to sign off on their expanded plans. The private baggage handlers must undergo background checks, officials said.

And trucks delivering bags to the airport are locked with a numbered seal to prevent tampering en route, said Lauren Stover, a TSA spokeswoman in Miami. The process is safe, she said, because the bags are screened like any other bag upon arrival.

Early check-in and delivery would help ease congestion at the airport, she said, by allowing screeners to sort through bags over the course of the day instead of in a last-minute pre-flight crush.

"As long as we can keep the bags secure, we look for any opportunity to improve customer service," she said.

Sean Mussenden can be reached at smussenden@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5664.

bhg469

So correct me if im wrong to my understanding the room you are in is decided before you actually check in to the hotel or do they put the bags in after you check in? from one of the press releases it makes it sound like the bags are in the room before you are.

wannab@dis

I don't think your bags could be in the room before you get checked in. They will probably arrive within an hour of your arrival at the resort. It really all depends on how many busses and delivery vehicles they use. Will they have a bus for each resort or maybe a bus that goes to resorts in one area? Will the luggage delivery go directly to the resort or will it also visit multiple resorts? Lot of questions still.

My biggest question is how much will this service cost AFTER the 18 month celebration? They will need to price it low enough that people use it instead of car service or rentals but high enough where they at least break even.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Yay! :sohappy: :sohappy:

No more having to pay for expensive Towncar services to and from WDW!

(which is good... cause the Towncar services here in Chicago are MUCH cheaper than they are from MCO to WDW (who would of thought)... which always kinda irked me... cause they are just milking the tourists that come into the Orlando area. :fork: )

:sohappy: :king: :sohappy: :king:

s25843

DMC-12 said:
Yay! :sohappy: :sohappy:

No more having to pay for expensive Towncar services to and from WDW!

(which is good... cause the Towncar services here in Chicago are MUCH cheaper than they are from MCO to WDW (who would of thought)... which always kinda irked me... cause they are just milking the tourists that come into the Orlando area. :fork: )

:sohappy: :king: :sohappy: :king:

Yet... Here in Boston, prices are nearly double... $80 for a 45 minute drive to the airport, plus tip...

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
s25843 said:
Yet... Here in Boston, prices are nearly double... $80 for a 45 minute drive to the airport, plus tip...

Hmm... it cost me $35-40 I think... from my house to MDW Airport (including tip)... and thats a bit of a drive... as I am MUCH closer to O'Hare.... but I refuse to fly in and out of O'Hare anymore...lol. :lol:

s25843

I wonder how early the pickup has to be before your flight... The main reason I use a towncar is that on my return flight (when im living down in FL, in Fort Laud), I can use a towncar to get picked up an hour and half before my flight, and get to the airport in enough time to still check my bags and walk straight to the gate...

Mears would make me get a pickup 3.5 hours before the flight..

Rcoaster809

This sounds very convenient, but I have three questions. First, how many hotels will each bus stop at? If you visit the parks on your last day, what do you do with your carry-on? And, I come from a little in the middle of PA that is only serviced by US Airways Express with connections to Philadelphia. How much of the service will not be available to me because US Airways is not a partner?

It may be too early to answer some of these questions, and I hope US Airways becomes involved in the program. I really think this is a great idea, and best of all...its FREE!

AEfx

DMC-12 said:
And thats just one of the many reasons why I dont do Mears. :lol:
(refering to 3.5 hour pre-flight pickup)

It's actually gotten a bit better - it's 2.5 hours now. You usually have to settle for 2hrs40min or 2hrs50min because of the pickup intervals.

However, in many cases it's still too long. During non-peak times, it's twice as long as you need. Last October on my way back I got picked up at 2:40, was at the airport at 3:20, sat outside the airport reading a book until 4:20, went inside, through security, etc., and still had a 1/2 hour wait to board my 5:30 flight.

With my AP, I love going to a park on the last day - I don't feel "bad" about using a whole day on a multi-day ticket (which will be less of a problem with magic your way - where you can add a day at higher levels for only a couple of dollars), so I like to maximize my time on departure.

This new "Magic Express" is promising - though for special trips (i.e. when I go with friends/family as opposed to solo or with just one other person) it's worth it for a towncar IMHO. The luggage thing worries me - though I'd just make sure I had a change of clothes in my carry-on just in case.

I'll reserve final judgement until I see it in action, but for free - even if it's only for a year and a half - it's still going to be a value for many people. I've always had good luck with Mears for solo/small group trips - but I'd rather be part of the magic ASAP. It's funny, because I love to fly JetBlue which is pretty "magical" too me - if I got Disney service starting from the airport, that would be about as complete an experience I think one could have.

AEfx

stuart

This is great then - so its for anyone stayin on disney property and even better i take it as it is available for international guests as well. I would doubt that international baggage would be allowed to check in outwith MCO but i suppose you can still get the coach to the airport. But that aside its still goin to be a great idea.

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
bhg469 There is an actual room co-ordinator (forgive me I forgot their actual title name) who goes over the reservations of who is checking in and they assign the rooms ahead of time. Usually 48-72 hours prior.

I think this is going to convenient for many reasons for a lot of people. I for one will not give up QuickSilver for Mears. I am not sitting on a bus going to various resorts and wasting time. Unless Disney breaks it down to minimize the time it take to get to the resorts, I won't use the system.

Pam

Invero

Based on information that I have read, I think this service will be superior to the current Mears shuttle. Remember, just because it's being operated by Mears doesn't mean it's just the regular Mears Shuttle with Disney pictures.

With Mears, at the airport, you just show up. No reservations are neccessary. For pickup, they ask for a 3 hour notice. This means that Mears knows nothing about who will be arriving when, or where they will be going. This is the cause of many of the delays.

For DME, reservations must be done at least 10 days in advance. This will mean that Disney will know exactly when you will be arriving, and where you will be going. This will allow for better planning to maximize the efficiency of the service.

For the return journey, DME will pick you up in the vicinity of 2hrs 45mins prior to your flight departure time. Because Orlando International Airport strongly urges travellers to get to the airport at least 2hrs prior to flight time, this makes sense. There is no way Disney would reduce this time, because they don't want to risk guests missing thier flight.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom