Magic Express

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
ATCMickey said:
Stuart,

You've got my curiousity up. What British charters travel to/from Sanford? Last I checked Sanford was a General Aviation (GA) airport.

Thanks,

ATCMickey

"Also any people flyin into/from Sanford airport - that includes the thousands of British guests who arrive there daily. "

Britannia, Monarch, Air Tours, Air 2000 all the usuall package lines.

stuart

ATCMickey said:
Stuart,

You've got my curiousity up. What British charters travel to/from Sanford? Last I checked Sanford was a General Aviation (GA) airport.

Someone got here before me to provide the answer...

Pumbas Nakasak said:
Britannia, Monarch, Air Tours, Air 2000 all the usuall package lines.

Back in 1997 Orlando Int'l was gettin to busy with the charter flights that come in pretty much daily from 7 UK airports. So it was decided to move them out to Sanford and free up some gates at MCO. Most moved at the time but Britannia was the last to move in 2001 and now every British Airline coming to Orlando except for BA and Virgin fly into Sanford. It is also a right pain gettin from there to WDW.

Britannia, Monarch, My Travel (was Airtours), First Choice Airways (was Air 2000), Air Atlanta, Air Scandic, Thomas Cook are the airlines that fly from the UK. I think there are a few domestic services there as well.

TURKEY

I just want to know where they will set up this area at the airport. I don't remember there being much of a place to do it.

stuart

Tinker05 said:
Always drive to Disney! Too Bad!

Maybe. But id love to be with in driving distance of WDW. Though i suppose from NC it must be a really long drive. From Scotland its either a 9 hour direct flight or flight to a city in the states and then a flight from there to Orlando. Maybe it adds to the whole holiday but id ust love it if we were close enough to drive.

Tinker05

It is a long drive from NC. The drive down isnt too bad but its much longer and boring going home because the excitement is gone! We use to live in Tampa Bay when I was little. Thats only an hour and half. Pretty sweet!

stuart

An hour and a half to Disney....that is pretty damn sweet right enough. What you say about the driving down bein ok but goin home borin its just the same with the flights but there aint no otherway. Unless of course Disney Cruise Line starts sailing from the UK over :p

and Tinker05 welcome to the boards

Tinker05

Yea I guess there is no other way!! It would be pretty nice to live in the heart of Orlando but not everyone is so lucky! I think living sooo far way makes it even more exciting when you get to go down!

Thanks for the welcome!

Quicksilver

WDWMAGIC Transportation Sponsor
Untill everything is working I wouldn't rush into any definite conclusion as to how well it will go, but, for now, that is what I think:

With what I've seen from Mears, TSA, and the luggage people behind the scenes at each airline, I do not see it working tip top beggining to end. There will be problems, and I do not think they will be just a few.
But again, it is free (for now) as many will think, so why not... Right?
Well, if you never minded waiting for a bus/motor coach to fill up (not vans as the regular Mears shuttle), having other people handling your luggage (and maybe taking a little longer than you to arrive at your resort), leaving earlier than necessary back to the airport (they might say it will save you time, but....),and, and, and, than this will be just a great new feature Disney has to offer you.

If you still want the one on one private service, a free grocery stop, your luggage by your side at all times, no lines to wait at both ends (THERE WILL BE LINES at the "courtesy/welcome" Disney desk as there has always been lines at the Mears shuttle desk - just imagine the volume Disney Express will create (it is free after all)), a luxury vehicle with your private chauffeur, than please stick with Quicksilver...

To be honest with all of you. I DO worry a lot with what Disney/Mears/Bags and etc are doing, not only for my sake, but for the sake of 1000's of people working in transportation in Orlando, all owner operators, all companies like ours, rental car companies, hotels outside the Disney area, Universal Studios, taxi cab companies, shuttle services, restaurants outside Disney and etc, etc, etc... It might be hard for anyone to realize it now, but with the Disney packages, free transportation and all, Disney wants to hold every Orlando traveler inside their doors, no way out untill the end of your vacation. That might sound what business is all about, but with Orlando's (and America's) economy just coming back to normal, we, the small business owners will get hurt with that "monopoly" game they are playing.

I do rely on Disney (not 100% but I do) for my business to flourish, but I also can not sit and relax with so much control they are having in the orlando area. I know, if it weren't for Disney, Orlando wouldn't exist (as they say). Well, maybe it is true, but that was over 30 years ago. Now our economy, and the families within, need to get back on their feet after such a long wait after Sept 11th 2001, and the hurricanes in 2004. 1 1/2 years of free shuttle will create a big, big mess in the Orlando area. A few month free trial would be fine by me, untill they get their act together, but 1 1/2 years, GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

Again, I'm a Disney fan since before I even came to live in Orlando, and still am a fan. That has nothing to do with what I feel is an unfair business practice done by a huge group of powerful people (not only Disney, but Mears and etc...)

Regards,

Gregory Nicolas.

Quicksilver

WDWMAGIC Transportation Sponsor
This is an extract of my response to a post in another Discussion Forum:

It will not be a free service forever, so why wait 1 1/2 years. Well, easy, they will kill most of the smaller companies in such a long period of time (but not only the bad ones as you mentioned, but the ones with a small cash flow who depend on the bigger ones like Quicksilver). I'm positive the effects on Quicksilver will not be as great as I maybe thought at first, but for many others, the domino effect will take place rather quickly. They know it takes more than 3 to 6 months to bankrupt the competition!!!

Also I must say this. We are only debating the transportation point of view, but what about the 1000's of smaller hotels, the restaurants, rental car companies, etc, etc etc... Competition is healthy when just. The bad ones will disappear, the good ones will flourish and offer a better service to everyone to enjoy.
Again, for many years now it's been debated Mears is trying to monopolize the transportation business in Orlando, but this is not an easy one to go against (you can imagine, right?)
I do understand Disney, Mears and etc. are doing what they are "supposed" to in a free market, but Mears has been the sole shuttle provider for many years. I would, as many others tried, also want to work with Disney. I would have the structure in a matter of weeks, but neither Disney nor the Orlando International Airport listen to all the voices around them, money is blocking their ears and minds!
Money is power, I realize that, free market is what America is all about, I also realize that, but a monopoly is against the law and we will not stand quiet. So many complained about what Walmart has done. This isn't any diferrent!

Now on a personal side. I LOVE Disney and what it stands for. I'm able to block my business side and play like a child in it's various theme parks. There is indeed magic there. But, they are there to make money as any other business, but why kill the rest of Orlando doing so, why kill everybody elses magic! Why not offer cheaper rooms, cheaper food ($8.00 a burger!!, how much is a coke again???), cheaper tickets (they went up recently by the way!), cheaper "anything" to attract new customers to it's site. If it's more guests to their budget hotels what clearly they need, that's an easier solution, but no, they need to destroy any possible competition, in all areas. I strongly believe there would be many other ways for Disney to attract more visitors, make more money, without hurting SO MANY!!!

Regards to all,

Gregory Nicolas.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
ATCMickey said:
Stuart,

Thanks,

ATCMickey

"Also any people flyin into/from Sanford airport - that includes the thousands of British guests who arrive there daily. "

A lot of the cheep charter packages from the UK arrive at Sanford now. Don't hold me to this, but off the top of my head it is airlines like Brittania, Thomsons. Infact, I think every UK airline with the exception of British Airways and Virgin fly into Sanford now.

Main Street USA

Just as a quick side note; I'm a tad tired of seeing everyone complain about the prices of food inside the parks, and then in their argument, they state something like "Disney charges $8 for a burger." No, they don't. I realize it's easy to exaggerate to support your argument, but come on, enough is enough.

The food in a WDW park is no more expensive than in other theme parks in America. In fact, in some areas, they're cheaper.

Shaman

Just got 'round to reading this thread (most of it atleast)...lol...

Definite good and bad things linked to this "new" service....I can see the short term effect this will have on the smaller companies...they'll lose a chunk of their business....for Disney guest...this may be a good thing...no waiting for your bag to pop out, and no dragging it around the airport looking for the exit (of coarse thats if you check your bags and don't carry-on)...sounds like more time for spending money on Disney property...
The question for me is, what is the percentage of Disney guest that A-Come to Disney by plane (and don't rent a car when they get here) and B-Those that come by plane, and stay on Disney property? Because if there isn't any acceptable short term gain (as in $$$ for Disney) from this project...perhaps after the celebrations it will go bye bye....and once they start charging (if they do) then that would mean the competition (whats left of it) will be back in the picture...just some thoughts...

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
From what I have been told it is now complimentary. When Disney was asked if they will eventually charge the client for the service, they pretty much skirted the issue.

Pam

cj2me

Well I'll be there at the start of the celebration in May and will give the Magical Express a try. We'll see what happens.

ATCMickey

Stuart and WDWMagic,

Thanks for the response. From within the states, the only flights that go to Sanford are General Aviation aircraft. I am amazed that OIA would want to do anything to advocate sending traffic to another location. Those flights from the UK generate landing/user fees that I'm surprised OIA would risk losing. I wonder whether it was an issue of OIA not wanting them or whether OIA's landing fees became so high that the UK carriers sought out an alternative.

In any case, it sure makes for a much longer drive. Thanks for the info.

ATCMickey

"Back in 1997 Orlando Int'l was gettin to busy with the charter flights that come in pretty much daily from 7 UK airports. So it was decided to move them out to Sanford and free up some gates at MCO. Most moved at the time but Britannia was the last to move in 2001 and now every British Airline coming to Orlando except for BA and Virgin fly into Sanford. It is also a right pain gettin from there to WDW."

stuart

I think there was maybe a bit of both to what you said about the fees and being punted out. I cant remember now its been a while since we flew to Sanford. I remember Britannia switched to sanford and back to orlando and back to sanford again and that Orlando was rather pleased to get them. Only know this cos we always flew with the charters until switching to CO.

It sure does make for a longer drive. One time we were going to SFB there had been bad weather on the way over so the planes had to take a different route to the normal one and cos of this 7!!! planes landed at once. It was rather mad 1800+ people landing all at the same time and the buses to resorts were all over the place so instead of putting you on a bus to your resort area we got put on a bus goin to hotels all around Orlando. It took us 2 to 3 hours to get from SFB to the Dixie Landings.

InsideOtherPark

Original Poster
I might be off on this one. Location for the desk will be located at 1A. The concept was tested with the cruise lines first. The pre check in for the flights will NOT be done by Disney. It will be done by an approved company. The pre flight check in and DME can be done sep. Tips are added for DME for arrival. Tips are NOT added in for pick up. If you dont want to wait limo/towncar still the way to go. If you dont mind a delay or on a tighter budget. DME is the way to go. Swim Dorey Swim. Thanks again to my friends brothers roomates uncle that sales turkey legs with a peg leg for the inside scoop.

Number_6

From what I have been told about this service, and bear in mind I work at one of the resorts in Bell Services, they will charge for it eventually. We were under the impression until the announcement on the website that it would be an add on option from the start that would be charged for, not something offered as a complimentary service during the celebration. As far as the length of the celebration, Disney typically celebrates things for 18 months, so if they tell people it will be during the celebration that it is offered for free, then they will offer it for the full length of the celebration. This is unfortunate for the companies like Quicksilver, that do get a fair amount of business transporting people to Disney property. This is going to be treated much like DCL or Convention Guests when they get to the resorts. Bell Services CMs that receive tips(I am not one, due to my position) will get a flat rate amount for delivering bags to rooms, be it 1 bag or 20. The luggage room where I am is crowded enough and it is going to have to undergo a redesign that will make it worse in order to accomodate this service. I think the idea behind the service is good, but that some of the consequences of the service may end up being not so good. We're just going to have to see how it goes when it starts up in a few months.

BRER STITCH

I posted this earlier in another spot, but it seems to fit in well with this discussion too.

ALL other things being equal, Disney could charge $25 a person for the same service they are proposing and make a killing.

I'd be willing to go even one step further: Disney could charge $5 MORE than MEARS and throw a character on each bus to greet passengers at the airport for their ride to their resort and the bus would ALWAYS be packed!

Disney vacation people are a different breed. We'd rather give our $30 to Disney for a bus ride then to MEARS, and that is exactly what Disney is counting on after the initial FREE period passes.

:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom