Magic Carpets of Aladdin will be converted into what!?!

fosse76

The land is designed to look like a jungle environment circa 1910-1940.

Enchanted Tiki Room - Polynesian
Tarzan Treehouse - African Jungle 1910s
Jungle Cruise Queue - African Jungle 1930s

The drums, the tribal spears and masks - all jungle themed

Then they came and stuck an Arabian themed spinner in the dead center of the area and slapped some shoddy awnings to kinda, sorta try and make it look like it belongs. It's a major eyesore. It took the most immersive environment in WDW and ruined the illusion.

So what? Disneyland has Pirates of the Carribbean in New Orleans, talk about out of place. And that was overseen by Walt himself. Seriously, some of you people need to get a grip. It's a theme park. It's not a shrine. Adventureland can encompass many different themes. And since two of your three different themes for Adventureland aren't related, how can you not justify Aladdin? You can easily add a third theme (or fourth, since the area by Pirates isn't African or Polynesian).

Krack

So what? Disneyland has Pirates of the Carribbean in New Orleans, talk about out of place. And that was overseen by Walt himself.

How is that out of place? It's Caribbean pirates attacking a French-controlled fort (presumably in New Orleans or a French-controlled Caribbean island). The entire loading area and beginning of the ride takes place in a Louisiana bayou (not to mention the accompanying Blue Bayou restaurant).

Figment632

How is that out of place? It's Caribbean pirates attacking a French-controlled fort (presumably in New Orleans or a French-controlled Caribbean island). The entire loading area and beginning of the ride takes place in a Louisiana bayou (not to mention the accompanying Blue Bayou restaurant).

Yea that was a bad example.

janoimagine

So what? Disneyland has Pirates of the Carribbean in New Orleans, talk about out of place. And that was overseen by Walt himself. Seriously, some of you people need to get a grip. It's a theme park. It's not a shrine. Adventureland can encompass many different themes. And since two of your three different themes for Adventureland aren't related, how can you not justify Aladdin? You can easily add a third theme (or fourth, since the area by Pirates isn't African or Polynesian).

I hate to say it but you need to do a little studying before you say something is out of place. The reason DL's version of POTC is in New Orleans is for the infamous Jean Lafitte, Lafitte was a well known pirate who in 1805, operated a warehouse in New Orleans. Hence why you start out in the ride at Lafitte's Landing. Just do a little more homework in the future. :D

Again untrue, kids do not like all rides

I'd have to slightly disagree with this. I mean yes, every single kid isn't going to be interested in every single attraction, but you seem to be tending toward the group that thinks you absolutely need spinners/kiddie rides because it's the only things kids will go on. Perhaps you don't feel this way, but that's the impression I get. The thing is, when I look back on my many childhood visits to WDW, I don't really remember the spinners. I remember the dark rides, Small World, the shows and parades, Pirates, Tiki Room, the Mansion... Just a bit later I remember the Mountains and Alien Encounter and Time Keeper. I remember the truly "Disney" things, they're what made an impression and what I loved as a kid. I would hope that most kids would be the same, if not, I worry about what the next generation might be like. What will they appreciate if they can't appriciate these type of experiences?

Funny thing is you are the one that said that carpets are exactly the same as Dumbo. I say yes they are the same ride themed to different characters. Then I say that riding in a boat through the jungle cruise seeing robotic animals move is pretty much the same as riding in a boat an seeing pirates chase each other around... see same ride concept/different character.

When talking about cloning, there are many types that Disney has engaged in, and I feel some are more valid (creatively speaking) than others. The worst type is what I think of as "drag and drop". The entire on ride experience is just copied between parks, it's like an exact mirror. Some of these will have different queues, but the "main show" itself will be the same. Until recently this has been mostly reserved for film based attractions and spinners, though I hate to say that Country Bears was one of the earlier offenders when it was cloned for DL. A recent example is Midway Mania. I personally find this type of cloning to be either lazy Imagineering, or caving into the "I want it and I want it now!" demands from guests or management. This is the type of cloning that irks me the most, as there really isn't anything creative about it. For every ride that was cloned like this, there were probably dozens of unique concepts that were shelved, and the different resorts start to look more and more the same. It's alarming to me that larger, more prominent attractions are starting to get this treatment more often. I'm worried that Midway Mania may represent a turning point where everything is fair game.

The next category is what I think of as an evolution of a ride. In many attractions that were "cloned" to different resorts, significant changes to them were made. Maybe a scene or two was added or switched out, maybe newer, more impressive effects were added or the ride was lengthened or shortened. Maybe the only thing the same about two rides that share a name is the basic story concept. Some of these can be quite a radical evolution. You take something at the core of a classic ride, a strong theme or story element/device, or maybe a type of experience, and then essentially build a new attraction around it. Sometimes this can be seen as an homage to the previous attraction, like Phantom Manor or even Everest in a way, other times it's a complete departure that mixes in a lot of other concepts, sometimes from other rides entirely. This seems to be what's happening in Hong Kong with Big Grizzly Mountain and Mystic Manor. If you must clone an attraction, this is always my preferred method.

The final category is what you seem to be refering to here. You're equating rides that have the same or similar rides systems (really though, boat rides, log flumes, and the various different dark ride systems you alluded to are hardly similar to begin with) with the redressing of essentially the same spinner with different themes. To me, they are not equitable. Taking a useful ride system (EMVs, Omnimovers, simulators, the Test Track system, coasters) and building a completely new ride around it is something I don't really even consider cloning. It's just sensible and versatile ride designing. Why design an entirely new system when you have a tried and true one that achieves the exact effect you desire? It's the interaction of the ride system and the specially built surroundings that makes the attraction experience. Content is king here.

I would put Aladdin, or really any basic retheme of a common spinner, somewhere between the first two categories. I can't really call it a drag and drop, but dressing something up differently in a way that doesn't really change the essential experience can't constitute an evolution either. You're still spinning around looking at scenery that was not built specifically for the ride. I don't love this type of cloning, but it's hardly a new concept. If it weren't for it impeding a major pathway, creating another stroller pit from hell, and generally looking like a giant tacky hunk of plastic, I probably wouldn't have a big a problem with the Carpets. Though really, 3 (soon to be 4) very similar spinners in one park is a bit excessive, don't you think?

puntagordabob

Does that include the original Tiki room? I just saw the new one again, and it is woeful compared to the original.

Agree! PLEASE, Give us the current Disneyland show (we will never get the original show back in its entirety...and the current DL show is simply minus the Offenbach number and line or two here and there...I feel it would be a Great fit!!!!)

tiki room is often overlooked because the carpets hulk over the attraction entrance..

just sayin..

Definitely! I remember the area being open and pleasant to spend time wandering around...now it is just plain crowded since the spinner takes up so much room.

Understood. I don't care that Disney has spinners, my true complaint lies in where the magic carpets are located.

Yeah, they really crowd the area....wish they could be moved to a more suitable area rather than making the area so claustrophobic...

The Tiki Room needs to go back to the original, but sadly I dont see it happening till the 50th.

As long as it HAPPENS...Bring the Disneyland show to the MK PLEASE!!!

The land is designed to look like a jungle environment circa 1910-1940.

Enchanted Tiki Room - Polynesian
Tarzan Treehouse - African Jungle 1910s
Jungle Cruise Queue - African Jungle 1930s

The drums, the tribal spears and masks - all jungle themed

Then they came and stuck an Arabian themed spinner in the dead center of the area and slapped some shoddy awnings to kinda, sorta try and make it look like it belongs. It's a major eyesore. It took the most immersive environment in WDW and ruined the illusion.

Swiss Family Treehouse you meant so say... but Yes this is an interesting point since this land was themed this way from the beginning.

Wilt Dasney

Of those, I will say HM is unique. Splash, while one of our favs and greatly themed, overall it is still a boat/flume that goes past some AAs like the others. It is only the large drop and the roller coaster dip in the middle make it slightly unique of the others.

Let me help your pixie dusted tunnel vision... IASW, Pooh, Jungle Cruise, Snow White, Peter Pan, PotC, ... have the same ride concept(boat/car) past AAs of different characters. Which is just like the same ride concept/ different character of Dumbo and Carpets that is so hated.
Amateur. I'll go you one better.

Every single attraction at WDW is the same when you get down to it, since they all try to entertain the audience somehow. (1) Where's the originality, Disney??! :mad:

(1) Insert obligatory JIYI/Sounds Dangerous/SGE joke here. :cool:

Thumbelina

It seems like everyone is hating on the carpets. :dazzle: I love them. I go on them every time im there. I hope they don't go away. I have so many fond memories on them or just waiting in line to get on them.

ftwildcmpr

Though I love Disney, the nostalgia, and Walt's intentions & dreams, this discussion is about an amusement park. It's "a family park where parents and children could have fun- together" in Walt's words.

The Aladdin ride fits in with the "bazaar" market area though it may not be a perfect match with the immediate surrounding attractions. Children love it as I see a long line there all the time and the spitting camels add an bit of silliness on a hot day. It's simple fun. I know there are numerous clones across the property, but there is a reason. They are a small foot print attraction to keep guests busy for a short time and they please the little ones.

If you don't like it, don't go on it. You know where these type of attractions are located, so step around them when approaching the areas. It's a ride in a theme park that is intended to evolve to generate interest, not the Smithsonian.

Amen! I totaly agree. Its like people have nothing better to do than complain about one thing or another at Disney. If you don't like DON'T GO!!!! No one is forcing you to go. Those of us that LOVE Disney unconditionally do not complain we just go with the flow. Regardless of what they change or don't change my family and I have a magical time every time we go and that's what it is all about. Enough Said!

Lee

Adventurer
Holy carp!:eek:
A thread where people are defending the placement of the Magic Carpets and the disintegration of the theme of Adventureland?

Really?!?!?

Facepalm.jpg

Whats next? Support for turning Tomorrowland into Toonmorrowland?:brick:

Those of us that LOVE Disney unconditionally do not complain we just go with the flow.
Oh, please. That's just ridiculous. That's like saying you love your kids unconditionally so you don't complain when they get a giant neck tattoo and pierce their nose.
Loving something means wanting the best for it, being willing to hold it to a higher standard, and pointing out when it's wrong.

Figment632

Holy carp!:eek:
A thread where people are defending the placement of the Magic Carpets and the disintegration of the theme of Adventureland?

Really?!?!?

Facepalm.jpg

Whats next? Support for turning Tomorrowland into Toonmorrowland?:brick:

Oh, please. That's just ridiculous. That's like saying you love your kids unconditionally so you don't complain when they get a giant neck tattoo and pierce their nose.
Loving something means wanting the best for it, being willing to hold it to a higher standard, and pointing out when it's wrong.

Yes the thread will be titled "Is SGE really that bad" :D

janoimagine

Quoted for truth.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I say get rid of the carpets and restore the Tiki Room to the orginal show.

I've said before that I'd like Disney to add in some excitement to the Tiki Room by utlizing both shows. Beginning of the day has the original show, with signs posted announcing new management coming in beginning at a particular time (say 5 pm). At 5 pm in the pre-show area, have a ceremony where the room is sold and new management come in. The rest of the day, the Tiki Room shows the "Under New Management" show. No large investment of money, a reason for people to hit the Tiki Room multiple times in one day thereby making better use of a people-eating theater that is often only half-full, a nod to nostalgia by bringing back the classic show, and something new in terms of the change-over scenario.

It'll never happen, but I think it would be neat.

As for the carpets..., I like the ride, and think it is a big improvement on Dumbo for many reasons. The placement isn't ideal by any means, but it isn't horrible either. Adventureland was already a mix of South Seas and Caribbean. Adding in a third part of the world makes it a bit more of a mash-up, but it was already something of one anyways.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I've said before that I'd like Disney to add in some excitement to the Tiki Room by utlizing both shows. Beginning of the day has the original show, with signs posted announcing new management coming in beginning at a particular time (say 5 pm). At 5 pm in the pre-show area, have a ceremony where the room is sold and new management come in. The rest of the day, the Tiki Room shows the "Under New Management" show. No large investment of money, a reason for people to hit the Tiki Room multiple times in one day thereby making better use of a people-eating theater that is often only half-full, a nod to nostalgia by bringing back the classic show, and something new in terms of the change-over scenario.

It'll never happen, but I think it would be neat.

As for the carpets..., I like the ride, and think it is a big improvement on Dumbo for many reasons. The placement isn't ideal by any means, but it isn't horrible either. Adventureland was already a mix of South Seas and Caribbean. Adding in a third part of the world makes it a bit more of a mash-up, but it was already something of one anyways.

If nothing else, the ride takes people out of the other queues. But, having the Magic Carpets in Adventureland is also not quite the sacrilege everyone is making it out to be.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
If nothing else, the ride takes people out of the other queues. But, having the Magic Carpets in Adventureland is also not quite the sacrilege everyone is making it out to be.

I always find the Aladdin/Jasmine meet and greets in Morocco more annoying. The song is "Arabian Nights", so I think Aladdin takes place a long way from Morocco.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I always find the Aladdin/Jasmine meet and greets in Morocco more annoying. The song is "Arabian Nights", so I think Aladdin takes place a long way from Morocco.

I'll usually let the kids take pictures with the Genie......

But again, I'm not as disturbed by the m&gs with Alladin and Jasmine being outside Morocco. I get the geographical difference, but where else are they to go (at EP)?

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I'll usually let the kids take pictures with the Genie......

But again, I'm not as disturbed by the m&gs with Alladin and Jasmine being outside Morocco. I get the geographical difference, but where else are they to go (at EP)?

The abomination that is the Epcot Character Spot (or Connection) or whatever it's called. So I understand...better in Morocco then there, and with the goal of having M&Gs in as many WS pavilions as possible, it was an obvious choice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom