Maelstrom refurbished!

Admiral01

Premium Member
WDW is sort of like an old ship.....when you want the ship to turn, it takes a while before the turn starts to happen. I'm hoping that this is what's going on with the resort....it's starting to make its turn (when it comes to maintenance), but it will still be a while until it's really noticeable. Otherwise, like that big famous ship, it could hit that iceberg and be gone in a flash, taking it's loyal fan base with it.

At least TITANIC wasn't moldy when she went down...

Want a better ship example? Look up SS UNITED STATES. Once grand ship that, as it aged and became more expensive to operate and maintain, has been left to rot.

Or, for a success story, look at USS ENTERPRISE (CVN 65). Retired at 51 last December. As time went on, the USN had to put more and more money into maintaining her, just to keep her in the same operational state. Keeping older things running isn't cheap...

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
At least TITANIC wasn't moldy when she went down...

Want a better ship example? Look up SS UNITED STATES. Once grand ship that, as it aged and became more expensive to operate and maintain, has been left to rot.

Or, for a success story, look at USS ENTERPRISE (CVN 65). Retired at 51 last December. As time went on, the USN had to put more and more money into maintaining her, just to keep her in the same operational state. Keeping older things running isn't cheap...
Too bad DCL management didn't operate WDW.....

nepalostparks

I keep thinking that it would make sense to convert Odyssey to a festival space -- what is that being used for these days -- and making WoL a pavilion (with rides!) again.

Most recently the Annual Passholder conversion site from paper to RFID cards. Otherwise just a setting for special/private events.

Marc Gil

I keep thinking that it would make sense to convert Odyssey to a festival space -- what is that being used for these days -- and making WoL a pavilion (with rides!) again.
Why don't they just use World Showplace as the festival pavilion? Makes more sense because it's in WORLD SHOWCASE!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I agree it looks like nothing has been done, since the wall has remained up for a long time. But you can't make the assumption that no work has been completed in that period. Looking back at images from an earlier visit, it looks like the scrims and scaffolding behind the wall are more recent. So something has been done.

I'm not aware what the issue is, or why it is taking so long. Perhaps someone else has more information, and what work has been completed so far or what the delay is.
wasn't the crazy reason posted earlier in this thread? How no department could agree who pays for it?

nepalostparks

It looks like they finally finished the waterfall area. Now all they have to do is test it and hope it doesn't leak again. Then they can finally move the Agent P finale to the waterfall and get rid of it at the ride exit area.

Well there ya go. I guess they have been working on it after all.

articos

Most of this stuff was due to normal maintenance. But some was due to worker motivation like the wave cannons in the North Sea, they have been there all along but turned off and in disrepair, usually management just wants to leave things off but someone wanted to see if they could fix them for a minimal cost and was able to repair some of them. It is nice to restore some of the old effects.
More people like this, please. Tell said CM there are people at WDI who would like to buy him/her a beer.
This is like a lot of problems, it is about money and who is going to pay for it. Originally, it was for a new effect for Agent P. They were supposed to add new rockwork on top of the old rockwork to blend in the new effect. They (BVCC) were told plenty of times not to disturb the existing waterfall and rockwork because it is 25 years old and not in good condition because of water, rust, age, etc. I guess somebody didn't get the message or thought it was ok, so they took out some of the old rockwork and installed new structural stuff and new rockwork. It worked for a bit then it started leaking inside the merchandise shops and they tried to fix it and tried many times, but still didn't work, so they have to redo the entire waterfall area to fix it right. But who is going to pay for it? It should be the people who made the mistake, but they are trying to blame others for it. So they are just dragging their feet like many other projects around here.
This is asinine. Old Disney: Would have just fixed it and pulled the money out of discretionary budgets. Fight about the cost later via memo or legal AFTER, but don't let it affect the show. New Disney: Let it sit with walls up for months, blame each other, no one takes the initiative to just get it fixed and argue later. Also, yet again - preventative maintenance lacking - that rockwork should have been treated every 1-2 years, and the underlayment replaced after 10. It was supposed to be - and used to be - turned off and cleaned thoroughly every year. Disney has the money, put it aside in the maintenance budgets to rebuild things, and have a contingency budget to make unintended repairs. This sounds like managers who are ill-educated to do their jobs, and are too young/scared to make the calls. In which case...replace them. Also, why are they repeatedly letting people who sound like they're inexperienced in dealing with wet environments or remediating old rockwork work on this over and over again if they screwed it up in the first place. Get specialized vendors in who know what they're doing.
Letting it slide to the point where the whole loading area is moldy and smelly and other parts of the ride are developing mold...and leaving it in that disgusting condition for a year...that's a very poor job.

Have they dropped the temp in loading to prevent more mold or will more develop?
Anytime mold is allowed to develop in an attraction, custodial should be in there all night remediating until it's gone. If it comes back, they should go back in every couple nights to remove it, then someone should get assigned to find out why it's coming back and then bring in a vendor to get it taken care of. Again, lack of oversight and lack of knowledge on the part of management to let it go as far as it has.

Fairybuzz

Thats great news. I would hate to think they would let it fall apart so much that they'll one day replace it with a freefall or something (don't get any ideas!)

I can live with the new light but I did love the whole at night feeling. It really made me think of viking funerals and mystery on the seas and stuff like that. But Hey its better than letting it rot so they can have an excuse to put stitch in it or something stupid like that.

luv

I cannot agree more, I understand people are mad that things were let go but to be mad that other people are happy when things finally start to improve is a little overboard. What was the alternative? Do nothing and let the ride continue to rot? Should it have been addressed ages ago? yes. But it wasn't and now they are doing something if someone is happy that an attraction they held dear is going back to its standard then by all means let em smile and cheer.
Nobody is mad. I don't think anyone is mad. Nobody said they were, anyway.

If some want to cheer Disney for mold remediation, I'm fine with that. Different people have different things they'll cheer, that's all.

I refuse to cheer Lack Of Mold. But I'll cheer when they do stuff I like a lot. :)

willtravel

I know I probably were a bit to enthusiastic about this whole small refurb... But after spending severeal weeks on this forum reading about all the tragic state WDW is in, I had given up on this company and thought that nothing will ever be maintained and fixed like ever, especially not Maelstrom. When I found out that they changed a lot of small things and cleaned the ride a little with new fixtures, I was overly happy. I have sent an email to some of the Disney people Ive been in contact with to complain about the situation thanking them a lot.

As for the new storm effects, they are new, the old wave machine is not on full, they turned something on but not waves. There are new "cannons" that shoot water up on the oil rig and the mist effect is also new.
I can not believe the movie is still the some old ****, I do believe its been digitalized, because its SO much better now, the doors are also opening and closing now (not both doors, but one of them).

Yesterday the AC did not work, I heard they were doing some maintainance on it, but not sure.
They did remove the bright as hell light from the viking scene, but its been more bright "purple" lights so the scene is more visible, they also installed a new rune stone in the scene. The light on the viking man blowing the horn is also better. It seems like the "waves" on the departing ships is gone, atleast it was yesterday... :(

The trolls dont come up as fast as they use to do, so its more like a surprise. I hated to go in there and the trolls were already halfway up there...

I know this is how it should have been all the time, and its sad that they let it rot this much before anything was done, but this gives me hope and trust in the company again!
I can't believe they are even showing a movie. With Norway not sponsoring the pavilion...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom