Maelstrom refurbished!

aladdin2007

Unfortunately, the absence of the water isn't funny. And neither is the potential reason behind it.....

I know, I meant the comment about the water being cut from the budget if he was just being funny or if that was true,,,so I guess we dont know just yet, It bothers me to see the dry rocks more than it does the wall even. Maybe the switch hasnt been flipped yet and they are still testing it at night and they decided to remove the wall at least as a start.

Fairybuzz

yeah im pretty sure there most likely testing systems cleaning a pipe or perhaps updating machinery. in any event there would be no reason to simply turn it off (cough*unless your six flags great adventure with skull mountain*cough) despite anything disney did recently that people may not like, the one thing they dont do is leave fake looking things lying around, and lets face it without the water fall it looks really bizarre!

Fairybuzz

What i'm just trying to grasp at is why they would limit the use of a special effect to those just lucky enough to be there when someone hits the button. And how activating a waterfall is possible in any sort of coherrent plotline :p

I mean its not a HUGE deal but its kinda sloppy looking.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
The waterfall will be dormant until activated by the Perry-phones.

picard-facepalm-o.gif

wserratore1963

WOW! I had a visit to Maelstrom in Norway yesterday and was shocked to find out that the ride has been updated/cleaned/fixed alot suddenly.

Some changes to the pavilion has appeared as well.

The trees outside in the pound are gone, the reeally tall trees right outside Maelstrom thats been there for 25 years are now history. Personally I do like it as it gives a better view. Disney also painted the tower on Akershus to look like its made of copper, it used to be brown but now looks like it should.

What has changed in Maelstrom:
- Fastpass + is set up and ready for launch.
- New tiling in load scene, so there is no longer water damage on the mural or ceiling. It actually smelled ok in there now.... The room also seems brighter.
- Viking scene: They put in a big powerful light so its daylight in there now, while it does give you the possibility to see the entire scene much better I think its a bit too bright.
- Troll scene: Trolls are moving better than they used too, the waterside troll is also more hidden before he comes up from the water. More mood lighting. Now we are just missing the smoke in this scene...
- Polar bear scene: the missing rock piece is replaced and the "ice" seems to be better.
- North sea: The wall projecting other oil rigs have been changed/fixed so not dirty and broken anymore. More storm effects: it actually splashes against the oil rig now, and they also have water fog effects there now....
- Unload/Skudesneshavn: Much brighter, some tiles replaced. Personally it could be a tad less bright.
Theater: Carpets been cleaned and something has truly been done to it. The movie also seems to have been made digital now as its much brighter and much more clear... It still has those old moments, but it was actually much more fun to watch.

I was sooo shocked when I figured this out, I had to take the ride like three times to believe it myself. Right now I love Disney!

Whats missing to be done in Maelstrom:
Smoke effects in the troll scene, polar bear cleaning, remove the black mold on the mural before the north sea and new movie.... But, I am so proud of the company right now.
So happy to hear that - can't wait for next trip!

spiritofNorway

Original Poster
Now if they could just turn on the rumored lightning effects in the Oil rig scene...That would be awesome.

I went to the bottom of this rumor about the "tesla coil", and there has never been a tesla coil inside Maelstrom. The only thing they did was to check it out, but there was no way to make it work without electrocuting the Guests so it was never installed. Ive been up in the rooms above Maelstrom with a guy who worked there since the opening, and he also says there has never been a tesla coil inside the ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom