Maelstrom refurbished!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I went to the bottom of this rumor about the "tesla coil", and there has never been a tesla coil inside Maelstrom. The only thing they did was to check it out, but there was no way to make it work without electrocuting the Guests so it was never installed. Ive been up in the rooms above Maelstrom with a guy who worked there since the opening, and he also says there has never been a tesla coil inside the ride.
Interesting. What was the effect used in 1988-90? It sure wasn't a plastic pole and strobe light like todays effect.

gostone23

I went to the bottom of this rumor about the "tesla coil", and there has never been a tesla coil inside Maelstrom. The only thing they did was to check it out, but there was no way to make it work without electrocuting the Guests so it was never installed. Ive been up in the rooms above Maelstrom with a guy who worked there since the opening, and he also says there has never been a tesla coil inside the ride.

Oh, That's too bad. It would've really enhanced that part of the ride. I've been fascinated the rumor ever since I've heard it. Oh well...

Prototype82

Update on the waterfall- Yesterday, a Norwegian cast member overheard me talking about the waterfall to some friends and explained that the waterfall has broken for seven months. "It's not Norway without a waterfall." he said. He also explained that they tried to repair it numerous times but ended up flooding the ride in the process. Also witnessed north sea fog and wave effect against oil rig. It was gorgeous and impressive. New lighting was a tad bit too bright as stated but still convincing.

Did I tell you wave effect was amazing? It's so strong that the folks infront of us thought it was the impact of another boat dropping.

Also- Burning Rome smell was strong and lasted into next scene.

Magenta Panther

Update on the waterfall- Yesterday, a Norwegian cast member overheard me talking about the waterfall to some friends and explained that the waterfall has broken for seven months. "It's not Norway without a waterfall." he said. He also explained that they tried to repair it numerous times but ended up flooding the ride in the process. Also witnessed north sea fog and wave effect against oil rig. It was gorgeous and impressive. New lighting was a tad bit too bright as stated but still convincing.

Did I tell you wave effect was amazing? It's so strong that the folks infront of us thought it was the impact of another boat dropping.

Also- Burning Rome smell was strong and lasted into next scene.

Well, then, there's some good news about one of my favorite WS attractions. Many thanks for the report!

Sped2424

I thought we settled the telsa coil debate, there was a telsa coil in the ride its a myth that its a myth if you will. they removed it a while ago here is proof Image from a debate on this site dating back to 2005, and martin's video has a little section about the telsa coil in his tribute to Norway. I believed the suits had it moved out of fear of what could happen or the fact that its cheaper to just remove the effect and have it be a pole with a strobe light. Also the telsa coil was never brought back and to this day has never been back.
maelstrom-tessla-smaller-for-web-jpg.18754

And the video @marni1971 did, for the telsa coil go to the 25:55 minute mark and then watch, or watch the whole video its great really. But you can definitely tell there is a difference from the previous effect to the one after. Also there is an imagineering book that covers the whole Tesla coil thing I believe with images to, I need to snap the page next time I see it.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Don't go by the book image. That was indeed the effect being tested.

I still say the 1990 effect was nothing like the current day plexiglass rod and strobe effect.

Sped2424

Don't go by the book image. That was indeed the effect being tested.

I still say the 1990 effect was nothing like the current day plexiglass rod and strobe effect.
Yeah I think I remember the image of the telsa coil, but plenty of fans have attested to the telsa coil definitely being there

aladdin2007

Rode it today, I think the lighting looks really nice and has a nice glow effect, I was really worried beforehand but was pleasantly impressed. The audio is stupidly loud though on the up ramp. The new wave effect at the bottom of the drop is really wow!!! Its like a double surprise, a huge one right in front of the boat and then another huge one to the right before you leave the oil rig scene,,,,the wall on the left side with the oil rigs on it has been repaired and looks so much better, cleaner and nicer lit.

The waterfalls working inside on the left side really nice now at the drop.....waterfall outside still totally off, epic fail on that!!! Could they not have replaced the moldy old fake flowers/plants along the wall as your going backwords??? Still tons of mildew/soot whatever one wants to call it, on the big mural above the drop.

But overall was really impressed with the lighting, if it had been too bright before or somethign its been fixed and looks much more uniform and glowing all the way through, fire flames much better in the viking scene too etc.

Oh and new music has been added inside the stave church,,,love it, can anyone find out what it is they are using?

I like how they have rearranged the store a bit but that one whole room devoted to princess crap in the middle is ick. Hopefully once the meetngreet is in there it will be changed out to frozen merch.

Seabasealpha1

It'd be nice if they'd come up with an end film where people didn't just rudely walk out the door though... I guess it's the age on the film itself more than the ride...

muteki

It'd be nice if they'd come up with an end film where people didn't just rudely walk out the door though... I guess it's the age on the film itself more than the ride...
If they made you wait in the village before the next show I could understand, but as it is now most of the time you are getting off the boat in the middle of the film. They leave the doors open and you can choose to stay and watch if you want or continue through. Given this setup I don't find it "rude" to do so. We will sit through the film at least once every trip because we find it so classic/hilarious, but the wait in the village was horrible if you hit it at the wrong time. I like being given the choice.

The herding of people through every single room of the shop afterwards bothers me more.

Seabasealpha1

If they made you wait in the village before the next show I could understand, but as it is now most of the time you are getting off the boat in the middle of the film. They leave the doors open and you can choose to stay and watch if you want or continue through. Given this setup I don't find it "rude" to do so. We will sit through the film at least once every trip because we find it so classic/hilarious, but the wait in the village was horrible if you hit it at the wrong time. I like being given the choice.

The herding of people through every single room of the shop afterwards bothers me more.
Yeah, the shop thing is highly predictable...I guess what I meant by "rude" was that like when we went in December, they route people leaving right in front of the screen on the way out...just kinda sucks...not that the film is great by any stretch of the imagination...but, like...did operations decide that the film should be optional or does the ride unload out of sync with the film then? I guess rude was the wrong word...maybe inconvenient?

Butter

I love Maelstrom. The person saying the audio was too loud in the up ramp... I couldn't really hear it last time I rode, so being too loud would be an improvement.

The quick cuts and violent music of the film just make the whole thing even better. It would be nice to get an update, but I would definitely miss the old film.

muteki

Yeah, the shop thing is highly predictable...I guess what I meant by "rude" was that like when we went in December, they route people leaving right in front of the screen on the way out...just kinda sucks...not that the film is great by any stretch of the imagination...but, like...did operations decide that the film should be optional or does the ride unload out of sync with the film then? I guess rude was the wrong word...maybe inconvenient?
That would be my best guess...there certainly doesn't appear to be any syncing with unload and the film. During the course of a single show, I'd say 3~4 boats unload.

I don't remember the passers by blocking the screen, but we usually sit in the back which is a bit higher up IIRC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom