LucasLand Blue Sky Rumor @ DHS

juniorthomas

Well I got a couple hours break while the power went off, I just made a map of what disney/rcid owns west the FC.

I would almost suggest putting a garage under the new expansion area and kill two birds with one stone. The problem I see with that is well, the events on February 26, 1993.

I have some free time today, so I may just expand the view out to victory and then add in more parking lots.

Does anyone want to send in their ideas for a PP to add to the map?

Yeah, stackable parking lots are a bad idea.

juniorthomas

Here is the latest version.

I added the two parking lots and reworked the north ans south entrance roads to them along with the toll booths.

I also added the canal to connect Caribbean Beach and the Pop Complex by boat to DHS and EPCOT.

I moved the practice area for LMA to where Catastrophe Canyon was. I also designated an area for expansion of Pixar Place. The area is about 6 acres and could fit 2, maybe 3 attractions.

Larger, more detail

dhswithimprovements6sma.jpg

Seriously, well done. Seems more than reasonable. More parking to match the influx of people coming in. You have to think if that expansion would add a few big rides (think RNR or ToT), a LOT of people will be headed to DHS. They may even need to expand the front gate/hollywood blvd a little.

flavious27

Seriously, well done. Seems more than reasonable. More parking to match the influx of people coming in. You have to think if that expansion would add a few big rides (think RNR or ToT), a LOT of people will be headed to DHS. They may even need to expand the front gate/hollywood blvd a little.

Thanks.

Well I do have the front gate moved to allow hollywood to be moved if needed. Part of the parking is knowing how much of the lot is filled everyday and how much an increase will happen with this expansion. Also disney would need to know who is parking in the lot; are they day trippers, guests at outside hotels, etc.

In addition to that, will disney expand the hotels nearby. Caribbean Beach has land to build new rooms, unless it will be a dvc addition. There is also land south of pop and east of ww of sports that could be a location for another hotel.

RSoxNo1

I think expanding into the existing parking lot is now a more likely option than moving the large toll plaza. Having said all that, this is major expansion, that's probably 15-20 years away from being needed.

flavious27

I think expanding into the existing parking lot is now a more likely option than moving the large toll plaza. Having said all that, this is major expansion, that's probably 15-20 years away from being needed.

Well I don't know if it is 15 - 20 years from being needed. People complain that DHS is a 1/2 day park and a 3/4 day park if they went to see F! and LMA. DHS needs more attractions and they need land for those attractions. I can see Disney building new parking lots, the ramps, and other infrastructure before they decide to expand the park so they don't get hamstrung down the line.

This is part of the problem for tdo and disney, they need to do more than maintain the parks, they need to add new and unique attractions at everyone of the parks. If Disney is going to get the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gates to grow beyond the 10 million annual guest level, they need to expand them and bring new guests in with new attractions.

bigAWL

Thanks.

Well I do have the front gate moved to allow hollywood to be moved if needed. Part of the parking is knowing how much of the lot is filled everyday and how much an increase will happen with this expansion. Also disney would need to know who is parking in the lot; are they day trippers, guests at outside hotels, etc.

In addition to that, will disney expand the hotels nearby. Caribbean Beach has land to build new rooms, unless it will be a dvc addition. There is also land south of pop and east of ww of sports that could be a location for another hotel.

I think any expansion of DHS should include a full hotel expansion along side it. Sort of like the Grand Californian at Disney California Adventure. Disney must realize the premiums they can charge for hotel rooms that are adjacent to a park. Why not build more of them?

RSoxNo1

Well I don't know if it is 15 - 20 years from being needed. People complain that DHS is a 1/2 day park and a 3/4 day park if they went to see F! and LMA. DHS needs more attractions and they need land for those attractions. I can see Disney building new parking lots, the ramps, and other infrastructure before they decide to expand the park so they don't get hamstrung down the line.

This is part of the problem for tdo and disney, they need to do more than maintain the parks, they need to add new and unique attractions at everyone of the parks. If Disney is going to get the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gates to grow beyond the 10 million annual guest level, they need to expand them and bring new guests in with new attractions.

Well consider a realistic time frame based on already rumored projects:

2011: Star Tours 2.0
2013-2014: Monster's Inc Coaster
2016-2020: Carsland on current Backlot Tour area

So that's 9 years out and that hasn't touched a few other potential expansion plots like those near Sunset Boulevard/Animation Courtyard. Additionally, consider that at some point replacements for LMA, Indy, American Idol, Sounds Dangerous, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and Fantasmic will also be considered.

While I agree that the park can be considered a half day park, I think the trend for this park will be replacing existing attractions with new attractions like Who Wants to be a Millionaire to Toy Story Mania.

cheezbat

Well consider a realistic time frame based on already rumored projects:

2011: Star Tours 2.0
2013-2014: Monster's Inc Coaster
2016-2020: Carsland on current Backlot Tour area

So that's 9 years out and that hasn't touched a few other potential expansion plots like those near Sunset Boulevard/Animation Courtyard. Additionally, consider that at some point replacements for LMA, Indy, American Idol, Sounds Dangerous, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and Fantasmic will also be considered.

While I agree that the park can be considered a half day park, I think the trend for this park will be replacing existing attractions with new attractions like Who Wants to be a Millionaire to Toy Story Mania.

While I love the idea of a massive Studios expansion, knowing the current team in Orlando, they most likely will continue to add by just repacing existing attractions. Seems to be their thing. Why spend millions more on construction if they can do it much smaller and cheaper by just taking over an existing spot?

NoChesterHester

Expanding into the existing parking deck is FAR more likely. Posted this same thought about a 150 posts back but too lazy to look for it. The existing lot gives them 15-18 acres to deal with. Plenty for my lifetime.

The only way I see a major expansion happening at this park is if an outside company, like Lucasfilm, wants to contribute money to market their films. Money talks.

As of now, the more likely scenario is the Monster's Inc coaster being finally greenlit. If the rumors have any legs about Sounds Dangerous turning into an expanded Jedi Training Academy then that will probably be it for the park construction at Hollywood Studios for the next 3-5 years.

flavious27

I think any expansion of DHS should include a full hotel expansion along side it. Sort of like the Grand Californian at Disney California Adventure. Disney must realize the premiums they can charge for hotel rooms that are adjacent to a park. Why not build more of them?

Same thought I was having, I have it part of the design for improvements at dhs.

dhswithimprovementsjust.png

link

flavious27

Such great prospects for the future.:snore:

juniorthomas

Thanks.

What's the vacancy rate at the closest resorts to DHS now? Do you really think they'd need hotel expansion too?

juniorthomas

A Hollywood themed hotel (though hopefully not the Hollywood Tower Hotel) would be a nice touch. And it would be very helpful for extra magic hours.

flavious27

A Hollywood themed hotel (though hopefully not the Hollywood Tower Hotel) would be a nice touch. And it would be very helpful for extra magic hours.

Well the outside can look like an addition, but its interior wouldn't be draped in red crushed velvet.

I think more attractions and a better daily night time show will help with EH more than an onsite hotel.

Jerm

Well AA is getting built, that shows there is a need.

The WDW Hotels have been doing ok, but not great. There is not a need for extra space right now, AA is getting built (rebuilt) to fill a gap in the hotel coverage...Family Suites. They are hoping that building a room that can hold a good size family at a cheaper rate then 2 rooms at the value they will have a better draw.

I would love to see DHS be more of a Lucas park, but really I don't see it expanding out other then a few bits of theming here and there between Star Tours and Indy Stunt.

flavious27

The WDW Hotels have been doing ok, but not great. There is not a need for extra space right now, AA is getting built (rebuilt) to fill a gap in the hotel coverage...Family Suites. They are hoping that building a room that can hold a good size family at a cheaper rate then 2 rooms at the value they will have a better draw.

I would love to see DHS be more of a Lucas park, but really I don't see it expanding out other then a few bits of theming here and there between Star Tours and Indy Stunt.

Well real expansion at the parks will drive up hotel occupancy rates, I think tdo has forgotten this.

AEfx

Well real expansion at the parks will drive up hotel occupancy rates, I think tdo has forgotten this.

Supposedly the armchair executive response to this is, "AK didn't significantly increase the amount of days people stayed here on vacation, so a 5th gate wouldn't impact it either therefore won't happen".

However, that's pretty short sighted, as it seems you get.

Look at Potter. I have no doubt people aren't probably spending a great deal more time at Universal then they did before (it's still just two parks), but we know that many more people are going there now, and they are spending a great deal of money on merchandise (apparently that's what's really raking in the bucks over there).

I think it's interesting how they are really going all out on advertising Star Tours. It's really a refurb - a very extensive refurb I am looking extremely forward to and going down just to see - but it's just the refurb of one ride. They really are marketing the hell out of the thing. It's a great thing, I think.

I can think of a few themes for a fifth park I'd love to see, and I truly believe with the right theme they really would increase attendance (AK is just difficult to market and the park - in spite of it's fans - is just not seen by the general public as a "full" park like the others; I truly think many people think of it as more like the waterparks in scope than a true "spend a whole day there" theme park, which it's operating hours supports).

All that said, right now, the current parks have plenty of space for expansion and the money should be spent on them, not infrastructure and everything else that goes with a whole park. That's why the Lucasland thing is so appealing, because they've got the space to do it already and MGM can so sorely use some more "for everyone" attractions (not just for kids, not just for thrill riders, for everyone in between).

We also have the possible resurgence of the Muppets on the horizon. Disney has finally stopped treating them like Disney characters and given over the reigns a bit - we have the first real Muppet movie since Henson died about ready to come out. If it's a big hit, then the real Muppets could be back in a very real way.

That's why after FLE, I really hope the next big development is with the studios, with a nice big Lucas area, and the ressurection of the Muppet Studio's idea (and, coincidentally, Muppet Studios is supposedly a big location in the upcoming film). There was a whole Muppet land planned (I read the stock holders report at the time - I was a kid and someone at Disney was nice enough to send it to me, it had everything from the original Toontown Spin and the ________ Tracy rides to the whole Muppet land idea).

So a new, large scope Star Wars ride. Maybe Indy. :) A Cantina-themed restaurant. Add a large-scale Muppets dark-ride (the Muppet Great Movie Ride still seems like a great idea), convert the Italian restaurant into the original Muppets idea...and bam, you've got a whole new reason for people to come to WDW, and two already popular and promotable brands to attach it to in advertising.

Oh, a boy can dream, can't he? ;)

RSoxNo1

Supposedly the armchair executive response to this is, "AK didn't significantly increase the amount of days people stayed here on vacation, so a 5th gate wouldn't impact it either therefore won't happen".

However, that's pretty short sighted, as it seems you get.
Animal Kingdom didn't extend vacations for a variety of reasons, perhaps the biggest of which is that it opened with 2 rides and 2 modes of transportation that they passed off as rides.

Disney also made the mistake of not having major additions opened in time so that guests didn't want to skip going to the other parks in favor of the new park.

Look at Potter. I have no doubt people aren't probably spending a great deal more time at Universal then they did before (it's still just two parks), but we know that many more people are going there now, and they are spending a great deal of money on merchandise (apparently that's what's really raking in the bucks over there).
Potter is a huge addition, but unfortunately it's really the main focal point of the addition. When I visited last August, Potter World was packed but the rest of the park was more or less empty. If a ride like Spiderman was in DHS it would always have a wait of 30 minutes or more. I've never waited more than 15 minutes for it at IOA.

I think it's interesting how they are really going all out on advertising Star Tours. It's really a refurb - a very extensive refurb I am looking extremely forward to and going down just to see - but it's just the refurb of one ride. They really are marketing the hell out of the thing. It's a great thing, I think.
I think they're selling it because it's the biggest addition to any park in WDW since 2008. I view the change on the same scope as Back to the Future to The Simpsons or Earthquake to Disaster. It's a significant change that the two attractions have to be considered two separate offerings. I wouldn't say the same about the recent Haunted Mansion changes or Pirates of the Caribbean changes, those were refurbishments.

I'd also say that there's a decent chance that if you considered Star Tours a D-ticket before, you'd consider it an E-ticket now (or C to a D if you'd like). It should be a substantial upgrade.

I can think of a few themes for a fifth park I'd love to see, and I truly believe with the right theme they really would increase attendance (AK is just difficult to market and the park - in spite of it's fans - is just not seen by the general public as a "full" park like the others; I truly think many people think of it as more like the waterparks in scope than a true "spend a whole day there" theme park, which it's operating hours supports).
Animal Kingdom does not have enough for everyone to be considered a full park. It has a few things that individuals like, but rarely does 8 hours worth of attractions hit with an individual. Personally, I can find enough to do there in 8 hours and not feel bored, but I'm in the minority.

The other problem with Animal Kingdom is the recent trend to build two of everything to save money on R & D. Animal Kingdom doesn't share a theme with other parks around the world (World Showcase has a similar problem) so new additions have to be conceived from scratch, and that's usually a tougher sell to the bean counters.

All that said, right now, the current parks have plenty of space for expansion and the money should be spent on them, not infrastructure and everything else that goes with a whole park. That's why the Lucasland thing is so appealing, because they've got the space to do it already and MGM can so sorely use some more "for everyone" attractions (not just for kids, not just for thrill riders, for everyone in between).

We also have the possible resurgence of the Muppets on the horizon. Disney has finally stopped treating them like Disney characters and given over the reigns a bit - we have the first real Muppet movie since Henson died about ready to come out. If it's a big hit, then the real Muppets could be back in a very real way.

That's why after FLE, I really hope the next big development is with the studios, with a nice big Lucas area, and the ressurection of the Muppet Studio's idea (and, coincidentally, Muppet Studios is supposedly a big location in the upcoming film). There was a whole Muppet land planned (I read the stock holders report at the time - I was a kid and someone at Disney was nice enough to send it to me, it had everything from the original Toontown Spin and the ________ Tracy rides to the whole Muppet land idea).

So a new, large scope Star Wars ride. Maybe Indy. :) A Cantina-themed restaurant. Add a large-scale Muppets dark-ride (the Muppet Great Movie Ride still seems like a great idea), convert the Italian restaurant into the original Muppets idea...and bam, you've got a whole new reason for people to come to WDW, and two already popular and promotable brands to attach it to in advertising.

Oh, a boy can dream, can't he? ;)

Hah, awfully ambitious. My thought is that Star Tours 2.0 will help DHS' attendance to the point that Disney will have to focus on AK and Epcot. It's why I think the Monster's Inc Coaster isn't going to happen. DHS already has the same amount of attractions with height requirements as Epcot, it doesn't need another with the Monster's Inc Coaster. If anything, it needs another family attraction that can take some of the pressure off of Toy Story Mania.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom