LucasLand Blue Sky Rumor @ DHS

flavious27

Animal Kingdom didn't extend vacations for a variety of reasons, perhaps the biggest of which is that it opened with 2 rides and 2 modes of transportation that they passed off as rides.

Disney also made the mistake of not having major additions opened in time so that guests didn't want to skip going to the other parks in favor of the new park.

I think it is that and also that it did not have anything that really warranted extending from three days to four or four to five. EE kinda of helps with that, but they need something else to bring in guests that don't have kids. I would want to see south america added to the plot of land in the eastern portion of the dak, they can get a roller coast/mine ride, a water ride / jungle cruise attraction, and a chair lift into and out of the land. After that would be a beastily kingdom in the sw of dak, which would help to extend the hours by having more attractions in the front portion of the park.

Potter is a huge addition, but unfortunately it's really the main focal point of the addition. When I visited last August, Potter World was packed but the rest of the park was more or less empty. If a ride like Spiderman was in DHS it would always have a wait of 30 minutes or more. I've never waited more than 15 minutes for it at IOA.

potterland has brought attendance back to the 6 million annual range, and increased profits by over $100 million. I only see the problem with potter mania dropping off and universal back in the same position as before.

Animal Kingdom does not have enough for everyone to be considered a full park. It has a few things that individuals like, but rarely does 8 hours worth of attractions hit with an individual. Personally, I can find enough to do there in 8 hours and not feel bored, but I'm in the minority.

The other problem with Animal Kingdom is the recent trend to build two of everything to save money on R & D. Animal Kingdom doesn't share a theme with other parks around the world (World Showcase has a similar problem) so new additions have to be conceived from scratch, and that's usually a tougher sell to the bean counters.

We have a 20 month daughter, so we will be in dak longer than 3 or 4 pm. dak just has too much ff attractions for guests without kids.

Hah, awfully ambitious. My thought is that Star Tours 2.0 will help DHS' attendance to the point that Disney will have to focus on AK and Epcot. It's why I think the Monster's Inc Coaster isn't going to happen. DHS already has the same amount of attractions with height requirements as Epcot, it doesn't need another with the Monster's Inc Coaster. If anything, it needs another family attraction that can take some of the pressure off of Toy Story Mania.

ff just seems like tdo's favorite type of attraction category as of late.

RSoxNo1

What are you defining as Family Friendly? I think as a rule most attractions with a height requirement fall out of that category. There are exceptions (Soarin'), but for the most part the attractions at the Animal Kingdom and DHS are restricting in some way, shape or form.

I love the animal exhibits at the Animal Kingdom, I'd love to see more of them, especially in Asia where the addition of animals like Pandas and Orangutans would likely boost attendance. Having said that, the biggest complaint about the Animal Kingdom is that it doesn't have enough rides. While I think a family friendly ride is the most dire need, that's not to say that it couldn't use another thrill ride.

This is why the Mysterious Island rumors were so intriguing. While it wouldn't have been a direct lift from Disney Sea, the idea of a thrill ride similar to JTTCOTE and a family ride similar to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea would be a very substantial addition to that park. It doesn't have to be this combination, but adding two rides to anchor a new land should be the next step for this park.

flavious27

Supposedly the armchair executive response to this is, "AK didn't significantly increase the amount of days people stayed here on vacation, so a 5th gate wouldn't impact it either therefore won't happen".

However, that's pretty short sighted, as it seems you get.

I can think of a few themes for a fifth park I'd love to see, and I truly believe with the right theme they really would increase attendance (AK is just difficult to market and the park - in spite of it's fans - is just not seen by the general public as a "full" park like the others; I truly think many people think of it as more like the waterparks in scope than a true "spend a whole day there" theme park, which it's operating hours supports).

All that said, right now, the current parks have plenty of space for expansion and the money should be spent on them, not infrastructure and everything else that goes with a whole park. That's why the Lucasland thing is so appealing, because they've got the space to do it already and MGM can so sorely use some more "for everyone" attractions (not just for kids, not just for thrill riders, for everyone in between).

So a new, large scope Star Wars ride. Maybe Indy. :) A Cantina-themed restaurant. Add a large-scale Muppets dark-ride (the Muppet Great Movie Ride still seems like a great idea), convert the Italian restaurant into the original Muppets idea...and bam, you've got a whole new reason for people to come to WDW, and two already popular and promotable brands to attach it to in advertising.

Oh, a boy can dream, can't he? ;)

DAK found almost 10 million annual guests, guests had to extend some time in the park. I just think it is families that are the main groups at dak instead of childless groups.

A 5th gate would appeal to everyone, if done right. I like the idea of Disney's Land of Imagination, where the lands are based on literature, comic books and graphic novels. With that theme, the lands could be based on marvel, lotr, and american tall tales.

Expanding the current parks will be cheaper and will bring in more guests, but a new gate also brings new hotels and themes.

I think that the only way to fulfill the need to improve the parks and add something fresh, it to have another disney decade.

flavious27

What are you defining as Family Friendly? I think as a rule most attractions with a height requirement fall out of that category. There are exceptions (Soarin'), but for the most part the attractions at the Animal Kingdom and DHS are restricting in some way, shape or form.

I love the animal exhibits at the Animal Kingdom, I'd love to see more of them, especially in Asia where the addition of animals like Pandas and Orangutans would likely boost attendance. Having said that, the biggest complaint about the Animal Kingdom is that it doesn't have enough rides. While I think a family friendly ride is the most dire need, that's not to say that it couldn't use another thrill ride.

This is why the Mysterious Island rumors were so intriguing. While it wouldn't have been a direct lift from Disney Sea, the idea of a thrill ride similar to JTTCOTE and a family ride similar to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea would be a very substantial addition to that park. It doesn't have to be this combination, but adding two rides to anchor a new land should be the next step for this park.

Dinoland, camp mouse, its tough to be a bug; dak has plenty of ff attractions, they need attractions that thrill.

CDavid

Dinoland, camp mouse, its tough to be a bug; dak has plenty of ff attractions, they need attractions that thrill.

With four thrill rides, Animal Kingdom already has more such attractions than any other WDW park. The real problem, of course, is that AK just has too few attractions period, but that also means the proportion of thrill to "family friendly" attractions is already heavily slanted in favor of thrills (and some 'family' attractions are just walking trails). That doesn't mean there won't ever be a place for new 'thrill rides' in the park's future, but what is desperately needed right now is more for everyone to do.

plutoismyhero

the ressurection of the Muppet Studio's idea (and, coincidentally, Muppet Studios is supposedly a big location in the upcoming film). There was a whole Muppet land planned (I read the stock holders report at the timea, and

WOW Muppet land would be amazing. Swedish Chef restaurant and maybe a meet and greet where the current cars M&G is. Also switch Pizza Planet to a muppet themed arcade haha IT WOULD BE AMAZING.

NoChesterHester

DAK found almost 10 million annual guests, guests had to extend some time in the park. I just think it is families that are the main groups at dak instead of childless groups.

A 5th gate would appeal to everyone, if done right. I like the idea of Disney's Land of Imagination, where the lands are based on literature, comic books and graphic novels. With that theme, the lands could be based on marvel, lotr, and american tall tales.

Expanding the current parks will be cheaper and will bring in more guests, but a new gate also brings new hotels and themes.

I think that the only way to fulfill the need to improve the parks and add something fresh, it to have another disney decade.

Well documented that Animal Kingdom initially cannibalized visitors from the other three parks. Overall annual attendance increases by about 3%.

NoChesterHester

Leave it to Tim to bring the discussion back to Animal Kingdom. Yeti will come up soon...

AEfx

Well documented that Animal Kingdom initially cannibalized visitors from the other three parks. Overall annual attendance increases by about 3%.

Yes, but that doesn't mean it was simply because it was a 4th park, and that's the point.

AK is muddled in the public mind. It's a muddled park, from top to bottom.

Maybe it didn't increase attendance so much because of the confused theme and marketing, it doesn't automatically mean that another park wouldn't increase attendance.

That said, I think just about everyone agrees we have ample space in the existing parks for attractions - we just want to see Disney compete in the attraction arena again, and not leave it up to Universal to keep putting out the stellar rides.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Whoa...what on Earth are you talking about?

If AK has four "thrill" rides, they must be real well hidden.

Everest, Primevil Whirl, Kali River, and Dinosaur. While the last three perhaps fail to deliver somewhat, I think they all qualify as thrill rides, or at least attempted thrill rides.

Epcot has three (Soarin, M;S, T:T).
DHS three (RnRC, ToT, Star Tours)
MK has three (the Mountains).

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
With four thrill rides, Animal Kingdom already has more such attractions than any other WDW park. The real problem, of course, is that AK just has too few attractions period, but that also means the proportion of thrill to "family friendly" attractions is already heavily slanted in favor of thrills (and some 'family' attractions are just walking trails). That doesn't mean there won't ever be a place for new 'thrill rides' in the park's future, but what is desperately needed right now is more for everyone to do.

Agreed. Family-friendly rides. Preferably indoor dark rides, as that park is seriously in need of additional "air cooling" as Uncle Orville would say.

cheezbat

The park is in terrible need of indoor attractions...preferrably rides. Family friendly and thrill could be good. To me it doesn't matter when talking about Animal Kingdom...I just want to see more attractions indoors! It gets way too hot in central Florida not to have more at DAK.

flavious27

more than any other wdw park? so the 4 are ee, kali, dino, P whirl?

MK: Space, Splash, Big Thunder, Barn Stormer with 7 dwarfs coming.

Epcot: Soarin, TT, M:S, Maelstrom

DHS: ToT, RnR, Star Tours, TSM

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I just think it is families that are the main groups at dak instead of childless groups.
You think, or have proof?

A 5th gate would appeal to everyone, if done right.
Of course it would. As do the exisiting 4th gates. Any themed park built by anyone in a tourist mecca would fail if it didn`t appeal across the board.

The World is near saturation. A new gate would mainly mean people spend less days at other parks. As happeend with DAK.

No, the only way to improve the parks is stop living off the cash-making legacy and regularly invest in the existing parks like they used to. The Disney Decade was quite a flop, remember? Less than half of what was planned was built.

jt04

Yes, but that doesn't mean it was simply because it was a 4th park, and that's the point.

AK is muddled in the public mind. It's a muddled park, from top to bottom.

Maybe it didn't increase attendance so much because of the confused theme and marketing, it doesn't automatically mean that another park wouldn't increase attendance.

That said, I think just about everyone agrees we have ample space in the existing parks for attractions - we just want to see Disney compete in the attraction arena again, and not leave it up to Universal to keep putting out the stellar rides.

I know they thought Everest would put DAK on the map but the park still needs a new land with an E Ticket to do that.

I am hoping that if they do indeed put Brazil in WS it would not keep them from adding a South America area possibly with a rain forest habitat trail to DAK. An MI type portion could be blended into such a land rather easily.

more than any other wdw park? so the 4 are ee, kali, dino, P whirl?

MK: Space, Splash, Big Thunder, Barn Stormer with 7 dwarfs coming.

Epcot: Soarin, TT, M:S, Maelstrom

DHS: ToT, RnR, Star Tours, TSM

Sorrry but BS, 7DMT and PW are not thrill rides. :lol:

As I have said before, if there are funds for thrill rides they should go to DAK first and then DHS.

DTM93

WOW Muppet land would be amazing. Swedish Chef restaurant and maybe a meet and greet where the current cars M&G is. Also switch Pizza Planet to a muppet themed arcade haha IT WOULD BE AMAZING.

I definitely agree with this, Muppet Studios would be incredible! :sohappy: Well for me anyway. :lol:

herc

Pizza Planet right now has to move over to Pixar Place. It isn't in the right area now. Then that building could be converted to a Muppet Restaurant. There should really be one more Muppet attraction and a restaurant. It would really work in that area.

I'm just hoping Pixar Place finally adds the Monsters Inc. Door Coaster everyone has been talking about. There is so much that area can get to make it a destination park. TDO needs to get off their fannies and put some serious bucks in the parks. They are doing it with FLE, but more needs to be done.
Complacency should not be toleraded. Yes, we all know that the world goes to WDW. But more is needed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom