LucasLand Blue Sky Rumor @ DHS

NoChesterHester

Why did I suddenly picture the Star Wars Holiday Special in my head? :)

In all seriousness, it would be very difficult to do a live show, as much as I would love to see one. Lasers are invisible without some smoke or mist in the air. Light sabers are possible, but also require a glass tube with ignitable gas to make it work with current technology.

Great possible attractions that come to mind are a Speedbike Race Coaster (Return of the Jedi), Mos Eisley Cantina (discussed ad nauseum), or a large scale walk thru attraction (Swiss Family Tree house meets Star Wars universe).

IWant2GoNow

I have updated the park map with the entrances and exits mentioned and a space reserved for future expansion. Along with that, improvements to dhs I mentioned in this forum:

I know it's all speculation, but that expansion plot looks so great. It would almost double the size of DHS which, IMO, would do wonders for that park as long as the attractions added were noteworthy and interesting.

Where's the drooling smiley? Can this please happen?

AEfx

In all seriousness, it would be very difficult to do a live show, as much as I would love to see one. Lasers are invisible without some smoke or mist in the air. Light sabers are possible, but also require a glass tube with ignitable gas to make it work with current technology.

Great possible attractions that come to mind are a Speedbike Race Coaster (Return of the Jedi), Mos Eisley Cantina (discussed ad nauseum), or a large scale walk thru attraction (Swiss Family Tree house meets Star Wars universe).

Although not totally logical, I could see speeders being used to shuttle you between exciting Star Wars scenes from all the films, like the GMR of Star Wars.

Never going to happen, because everyone wants everything so dang "interactive", but it's been my biggest theme park dream ever.

flavious27

I know it's all speculation, but that expansion plot looks so great. It would almost double the size of DHS which, IMO, would do wonders for that park as long as the attractions added were noteworthy and interesting.

Where's the drooling smiley? Can this please happen?

Yeah I know, just the scale compared to the rest of the park is huge for only being just a little more than 30 acres. I made a mockup before that ended up with like 5 lands, I stepped back to make sure that it looked right. Using the scale of DHS buildings, it would all fit. I do see like 2 or 3 lands going into this expansion, any less would be a waste of such valuable land.

IWant2GoNow

Yeah I know, just the scale compared to the rest of the park is huge for only being just a little more than 30 acres. I made a mockup before that ended up with like 5 lands, I stepped back to make sure that it looked right. Using the scale of DHS buildings, it would all fit. I do see like 2 or 3 lands going into this expansion, any less would be a waste of such valuable land.

That would be extremely helpful for reeling in guests to stay at DHS just a bit longer. I think that park lost quite a bit of appeal when Fantasmic! dropped most of its showings. An expansion like this, with enough hearty attractions, would keep guests coming in EVERY day consistently instead of just having above average days when F! shows.

In comparison, do you know how large that expansion pad is when put next to FLE? I can't remember how many acres FLE is taking up.

bgraham34

That would be extremely helpful for reeling in guests to stay at DHS just a bit longer. I think that park lost quite a bit of appeal when Fantasmic! dropped most of its showings. An expansion like this, with enough hearty attractions, would keep guests coming in EVERY day consistently instead of just having above average days when F! shows.

In comparison, do you know how large that expansion pad is when put next to FLE? I can't remember how many acres FLE is taking up.

I have to agree with you on the Fantasmic tidbit. I use to love being in the park at night and its been a few years since I have done that. I really don't feel like dealing with the crowds on the nights they have Fantasmic and to have to plan my whole trip around the show. Even though its my favorite it is just too hard to do now.

Thrill Seeker

I have updated the park map with the entrances and exits mentioned and a space reserved for future expansion. Along with that, improvements to dhs I mentioned in this forum:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?p=4548164#post4548164

dhswithimprovements3.jpg

If this ever happened, Studios could become one of the best theme parks in the nation. It's already a good park, but a major expansion of this magnitude would turn Studios into what DCA is becoming. Creating a Lucusfilm Studios land as well as an additional all new land would be huge! Add in expansion to Pixar Place as well as a Muppets mini-land and you have yourself quite a park.

juniorthomas

SiriusBlack

If this ever happened, Studios could become one of the best theme parks in the nation. It's already a good park, but a major expansion of this magnitude would turn Studios into what DCA is becoming. Creating a Lucusfilm Studios land as well as an additional all new land would be huge! Add in expansion to Pixar Place as well as a Muppets mini-land and you have yourself quite a park.

Thank you! I just researched the expansion to DCA. I had no idea how awesome that park was going to be in the very near future. Wow. Next year I may need to plan a trip over to California to experience those parks for the first time.:goodnevil

Thrill Seeker

Here's my pitch...

Lucasfilm Backlot: A new land which features attractions, shops and dining based upon the works of George Lucas. The area would be themed like a backlot with sets and props from Lucasfilm properties.

Attractions:

1. Jedi Training Acadamy (Replacing Sounds Dangerous): Young padawan students are selected to join a Jedi Master on stage to learn the ways of the force. The new version would be indoors, feature a new, expanded stage themed to Dagaba and feature new special effects.

2. Indiana Jones and the Sunken City (Replacing Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular): The lost city of Atlantis has risen to the surface and it's up to Indy to explore the lost city and uncover an ancient artifact before it's too late! This state of the art water attraction would feature new boats with AMV technology to create more intense motion. This could include everything from an earthquake motion to a sinking boat simulation. Of course, no flume ride would be complete without a huge plunge into the depths of the sea!

3. Star Tours: The Adventures Continue: Star Tours returns in 3-D with new cabin effects, 54 possible variants and much more!

Dining:

1. Mos Eisley Cantina (Replacing Backlot Express): Step into one of the jazziest places on Tatooine! The cantina would be quick service and feature Star Wars themed dishes, classic Disney Park fare, an exclusive galactic drink, full bar and an audio animatronic show. The resturant would be completely enclosed with a new exterior to appear as a set for Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope.

Shopping:

1. Treasures from the Lost City (Replacing Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular): Gift shop for Indiana Jones and the Sunken City featuring Indiana Jones apparel.

2. Tatooine Traders: Gift shop for Star Tours: The Adventures Continue featuring Star Wars apparel.

Everything I have here is replacing something already in the area and did not include the proposed expansion area. This could be a huge addition that could potentially compete with Harry Potter.

IWant2GoNow

I have to agree with you on the Fantasmic tidbit. I use to love being in the park at night and its been a few years since I have done that. I really don't feel like dealing with the crowds on the nights they have Fantasmic and to have to plan my whole trip around the show. Even though its my favorite it is just too hard to do now.

Same thing happened to me last June. I think DAK was open early for EMH, which IMO is the best time to go on KS, and it was the same day DHS was showing F! and I didn't want to rush my whole family around park hopping so we had to skip it. It used to be my favorite show but now that it's so hard to catch, it's losing its appeal to me. :(

juniorthomas

Here's my pitch...

Lucasfilm Backlot: A new land which features attractions, shops and dining based upon the works of George Lucas. The area would be themed like a backlot with sets and props from Lucasfilm properties.

Attractions:

1. Jedi Training Acadamy (Replacing Sounds Dangerous): Young padawan students are selected to join a Jedi Master on stage to learn the ways of the force. The new version would be indoors, feature a new, expanded stage themed to Dagaba and feature new special effects.

2. Indiana Jones and the Sunken City (Replacing Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular): The lost city of Atlantis has risen to the surface and it's up to Indy to explore the lost city and uncover an ancient artifact before it's too late! This state of the art water attraction would feature new boats with AMV technology to create more intense motion. This could include everything from an earthquake motion to a sinking boat simulation. Of course, no flume ride would be complete without a huge plunge into the depths of the sea!

3. Star Tours: The Adventures Continue: Star Tours returns in 3-D with new cabin effects, 54 possible variants and much more!

Dining:

1. Mos Eisley Cantina (Replacing Backlot Express): Step into one of the jazziest places on Tatooine! The cantina would be quick service and feature Star Wars themed dishes, classic Disney Park fare, an exclusive galactic drink, full bar and an audio animatronic show. The resturant would be completely enclosed with a new exterior to appear as a set for Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope.

Shopping:

1. Treasures from the Lost City (Replacing Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular): Gift shop for Indiana Jones and the Sunken City featuring Indiana Jones apparel.

2. Tatooine Traders: Gift shop for Star Tours: The Adventures Continue featuring Star Wars apparel.

Everything I have here is replacing something already in the area and did not include the proposed expansion area. This could be a huge addition that could potentially compete with Harry Potter.

I think we can all agree that the Indiana Jones store/cart needs A LOT of work.

flavious27

Hey look, comparison:

dhpansionareavsfle.jpg

FLE is like 12 - 14 acres, this expansion site like 30 - 32.

Any time a park does not have a night time show, people are going to travel to other parks to see one. DAK can't do much about that right now because the front of the park does not have enough attractions to hold crowds until it gets dark enough, and peta will call for a show that does not disturb the animals with loud sounds and bright lights. F! makes sense at dl, it is not the main nighttime show; when it is shortened or cancelled, guests are not as upset as at dhs. Having the South Lake Amphitheater will let Disney do more and become more versatile with not only their daytime entertainment but also their night time entertainment.

Also, the south lake and park in general will look more inviting because the shore line is not hidden behind trees to cover up F! backstage. They could also extend the look of Hollywood Boulevard out more and showcase the weenies better or they could do this as a compromise:

dhsentrancewithhat.png

flavious27

This kind of expansion can bring dhs back up to a better level, it is something that has been lacking in the last decade.

This kind of expansion is "smart", there is land that can be used without corrupting the experience in other parts of the park. An expanded Pixar land will take more finesse; balancing the look of the new land to make it fit in but also but true to its source material, along with not upsetting the flow of the backstage areas.

flavious27

Honestly, we can always count on you. Impressive. Lots of room there for anything they can dream up. That would more than appease DisneyParks fans...for a little while anyway.

Thank you.

I see that disney can have a star wars land that will be true to the theme, source material and the fans with this expanded area. Nothing is being squeezed in and hoping it works, the land is there and what needs to be done is done.

There is land there for tron and it will work in this setting, nothing has to be imagined of why it is there. And Tron is a great franchise that disney can grow with this land, becoming a mecca for tron fans. The same is what I would hope a star wars land would be with its fans. There could also be another land built in there, but to make everything work, it was to flow and look right.

Having both of these lands, with a new night time show, will vastly increase the popularity and attendance of DHS.

IWant2GoNow

Hey look, comparison:

FLE is like 12 - 14 acres, this expansion site like 30 - 32.

Any time a park does not have a night time show, people are going to travel to other parks to see one. DAK can't do much about that right now because the front of the park does not have enough attractions to hold crowds until it gets dark enough, and peta will call for a show that does not disturb the animals with loud sounds and bright lights. F! makes sense at dl, it is not the main nighttime show; when it is shortened or cancelled, guests are not as upset as at dhs. Having the South Lake Amphitheater will let Disney do more and become more versatile with not only their daytime entertainment but also their night time entertainment.

Also, the south lake and park in general will look more inviting because the shore line is not hidden behind trees to cover up F! backstage. They could also extend the look of Hollywood Boulevard out more and showcase the weenies better or they could do this as a compromise:

Thank you so much for that overlay of FLE. It is truly :eek:! Having seen how large it is, I can't imagine them expanding it all at once any time soon. More than likely if this land was ever used it would develop slowly over the course of 15 years to continuously draw guests back to DHS. That statement is especially true if they plan on expanding Pixar Place with that as well. They could probably open up 3 separate "lands", I'll call them "atmospheres" (Lucas, Tron, Marvel, etc), within that expansion plot and they could open one, then build the next, then open that, and build the third. It seems as though that could be done with minimal construction detours and would allow space for equipment and such to be stored for each "atmosphere". If done correctly, this would solve the "DHS is a half day park" talk.

Using the other lake would be a challenge for a nighttime show unless you're doing something like WoC because of the boat dock, wouldn't it? I would assume you couldn't do any type of fireworks because of the fallout zones associated with that area, correct? I'm not sure, just throwing it out there. I do love the new placement of the BAH though. With or without that area of the park open. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom