Low key New Years at Epcot?

BSikor

Original Poster
As a CM I loved working NYE at Epcot and have returned as a guest for many years although this year I see no mention of any live bands or DJ's at Epcot like in the many many years past. I called guest relations today and they had no information other than Illuminations. Is this true and a sign of budget cuts or has anyone heard anything about a place to shake it on New Years Eve in Epcot? I'm bringing a whole troupe of people with me to experience it since I have talked about it for so long and feel I may let them down.

HELP! Thanks!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Yep I beleive that it's really just the special edition IllumiNations this year, and none of the live music or DJs.

Block Partier

Going to see Illuminations is still worth it thought, right? I'm going to be there and I'm a little worried that all the crowds and the 2-3 hour waits are not going to be worth it..

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Going to see Illuminations is still worth it thought, right? I'm going to be there and I'm a little worried that all the crowds and the 2-3 hour waits are not going to be worth it..
When I experienced the NYE Illuminations, it was totally worth the horrible crowds (went at the turn of the century, so it was really busy). Keep everyone in good spirits with great food/drink and know that the night time spectacular is just that... spectacular. :D

WDW1974

Sounds like more WalMarting.

How many guests will even know what they used to have?

I spent four NYE's at EPCOT (two in the 1980s as well as 1999 and 2000) ... I can't imagine no live music, no DJs.

Cutbacks are magical.

BSikor

Original Poster
The Illuminations tag is great. If you've seen it once then it's not quite worth the crowds. The reason you visit the park on a night like this is not the experience an attraction it is to soak in the environment and celebrate. Epcot was always the best at this and it is such a shame to see that there is no festivities aside from the Illuminations show (don't get me wrong, its amazing). I just wish there were the dance floors around the lagoon set up like in years past. I did hear that the World Showcase pavilion may be open again this year with a make-shift restaurant and some dancing but I also heard that the dance club is reservation only. Don't know how much that's true. I did get the info from a confused guest relations rep on the phone this morning.

I'm so very, very bummed. I've been looking forward to this all year.:(

BSikor

Original Poster
Sounds like more WalMarting.

How many guests will even know what they used to have?

I spent four NYE's at EPCOT (two in the 1980s as well as 1999 and 2000) ... I can't imagine no live music, no DJs.

Cutbacks are magical.

You are right. It will be like any other night. If I want a live DJ then I guess I can go to the studios and dance under the big hat.

NOT INTERESTED

I want my multi-cultural happy fun time at Epcot and I want it now.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The Illuminations tag is great. If you've seen it once then it's not quite worth the crowds. The reason you visit the park on a night like this is not the experience an attraction it is to soak in the environment and celebrate. Epcot was always the best at this and it is such a shame to see that there is no festivities aside from the Illuminations show (don't get me wrong, its amazing). I just wish there were the dance floors around the lagoon set up like in years past. I did hear that the World Showcase pavilion may be open again this year with a make-shift restaurant and some dancing but I also heard that the dance club is reservation only. Don't know how much that's true. I did get the info from a confused guest relations rep on the phone this morning.

I'm so very, very bummed. I've been looking forward to this all year.:(

Yep the Worldshowplace dinner event is reservation only.

CBOMB

I really don't understand this move. How can you celebrate the coming of a New Year, without the party atmosphere? This is starting to look like budget cuts to the extreme.

lightboy

Let me paint this picture easily. Keep in mind that I don't condone these thoughts, I'm just explaining. I agree that NYE should be a party.

Keep in mind that the park will sell out either way. Disney KNOWS that even if they have no bands or DJs, the guests will still come (because they will think that entertainment will exist JUST because it's NYE, then be disappointed, but by that time, they have sold out a park and already have their money). So saying that...

So what will total ticket sales be if they DO have entertainment?
$100 (easy numbers here people)

What will total ticket sales be if they DO NOT have entertainment?
$100

How much will it cost to have entertainment?
$10

How many more guests can they lure inside because of entertainment offerings?
****ZERO**** Because the park will sell out ANYWAY, regardless.

So what is the profit advantage of having entertainment in the park on NYE?
$-10 They lose money.

I know the numbers are way off, but trying to describe their mindset. Again, personally I think it's cheap. But...it's corporate America. That's what Disney is. And that's how they do business. Not bashing anyone, just explaining the concept.

SAYING THAT:

There will be DJs at Epcot...but it will be smaller scale **again**. Maybe 1-2 at MK. Mulch, Sweat and Shears will perform at Studios, along with a DJ or two (Disney managed band=they still only have to pay them their normal wages...not huge premiums like outside Party Bands or Top 40 artists like they used to have). I'm sure Downtown Disney will probably have a DJ somewhere.

But gone are the days of seeing amazing NYE parties seen nowhere else but at Walt Disney World. I remember them...I'm sure you do too :(

raven

It can't be "Low Key" because I am scheduled for a 15-hour shift from 7PM until 10AM. Yesterday alone 42,000 guests went through the gates. NYE is expected to have over 70,000.

BSikor

Original Poster
It can't be "Low Key" because I am scheduled for a 15-hour shift from 7PM until 10AM. Yesterday alone 42,000 guests went through the gates. NYE is expected to have over 70,000.

I'm not saying attendance will be low key. The festivities not being offered like in years past makes it low key. I know the park will be slammed-tastic but people will have nothing to do but wait for Illuminations or wait in line for Soarin' . The people that are there and have been there in the past will be disappointed by the lack luster proceedings.

Disney_Freak429

& where can I come say hi than if I brave the madness? :wave::D Which I am trying to do in honor of it being my first NYE down here in FL. What will I celebrate? NOT BEING IN SNOW!!!:lol::sohappy:

themeparkdude

Epcot is having all events as last year with the exception of the Fountain Stage and no Swing Club in the World Showplace making more room for tables to dine. All the parties in the World Showcase will run as normal. Illuninations and Holiday Tags will be intact unlike other parks. I love how people think the worst and panic. Its going to be a blast!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom