Lots of new pics of Art of Animation Resort in Sentinel

Philo

it's interesting to hear people say that aoa is for people who want to be surrounded by disney 24x7. Or that the lack of real theming and decorating with over-sized icons is because of the target audience.

I am so glad that i didn't grow up with this version of disney. Could you imagine if today's disney built ft. Wilderness? It would have a giant cowboy boot for pioneer hall and everything would be covered in woody.

Instead we have disney's original 'value' resort with real theming, first class transportation to mk, a dinner show, watercraft, horseback rides, etc. Thank goodness!

+1.

Philo

Anyone ever heard of "hidden Mickeys" or children playing "hide-and-go-seek"?

When we stayed at the Mira Costa in TDL we we're shown to our room by one of the check-in staff who took the time to actually talk to us about the hotel (it's inspiration, bit's of art etc) and once we got to the room, she stayed for about 15 minutes to play "spot the hidden mickey" with us!

I think it is important to realise though that AoA does appeal to people who want characters. Children are bought up with these characters and like the idea of staying in a hotel surrounded by them. I don't think the theme is cheap, just a bit more "obvious" than is necessary. Just because it's a Disney hotel, it doesn't mean it has to be scream "Disney" at you.

Pioneer Hall

Without doing much quoting since there are a few posts, I will just kind of sum up what I think of the theme here vs somewhere like Ft Wilderness. The values have always been over the top, larger than life representations of what they represent. AoA is just doing that on a larger scale by bringing it into the rooms. Some find it cheap and others will find it incredible. To say that Disney has lost their touch with creating more subtle themes, look at what they have done with their last deluxe offerings. AKL is distinctly African without having characters in your face. All of the DVC additions (granted they were added to existing locations) share the non-character or over the top look of their predecessor. You can't say Kidani or Bay Lake look cheap or tacky or need references to popular movies and you can bet Grand Floridian will be the same. Disney hasn't built a standalone resort in 10 years on the deluxe or moderate level since they haven't had to and this is where the less loud theme takes place.

jt04

Seen the new video just provided by WDWmagic on the home page and this place is more impressive by the day. Something about the original layout of the buildings that is perfect for Florida. And the theming is amazing.

I'd guess the best is still to be revealed too!!!

PS- on a side, the capacity of this place and the new rooms at the GF just may make the rumored Poly refurb more fact than myth.

flavious27

It's interesting to hear people say that AoA is for people who want to be surrounded by Disney 24x7. Or that the lack of real theming and decorating with over-sized icons is because of the target audience.

I am so glad that I didn't grow up with this version of Disney. Could you imagine if today's Disney built Ft. Wilderness? It would have a giant cowboy boot for Pioneer hall and everything would be covered in Woody.

Instead we have Disney's original 'value' resort with real theming, first class transportation to MK, a dinner show, watercraft, horseback rides, etc. Thank goodness!

FortWildernessD08.JPG

FW1210-01.jpg

FW1210-09.jpg

Agreed. FW has charm that is lacking with the values. This is why I do not like that disney has put in the princess suites in po. I liked the subtle theme that the moderates have, they should not be valuevived.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Without doing much quoting since there are a few posts, I will just kind of sum up what I think of the theme here vs somewhere like Ft Wilderness. The values have always been over the top, larger than life representations of what they represent

That statement is why you miss the point of the comparison. 'values' have NOT always been this way.. the current properties listed as values (the AllStars and Pop) have been that way, but the idea of affordable accommodations on property have not always been this way.

The Orlando Sentinel features a new gallery of pictures of the new Art of Animation Resort that appears to be ready to open.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-...art-of-animation-resort,0,751239.photogallery

It keeps with the "oversized objects" theme of the other "value" resorts, which seems appropriate for the pool area; but buildings themselves seem like they will become quickly dated.

The room sample is way too overdone for an actual room. Disney characters in rooms are much better done when they are more subtle. The whole room should not look like a child's nursery.

Tha Animal Kingdom Lodge is an example of better use of Disney within the theming. The Lion King emblem is on the chair backs (carved in wood), and everything has an African feel; but the whole room is not aimed at five year olds.

Dose anyone remember the actual bestseller book, "The Art of Disney Animation"? It was a nice coffee-table book that pointed out the real artistry and detail in Disny animation. This resort is blows out the colors and overpowers the nature of that book.

I will say that the pool area seems well-done, and the chandelier, but the rest seems too overly bright and ignores the true "art" of animation (Bambi's rain, Beauty and the Beast's dining room, etc.)....

I totally agree. The best theming is the pool, I think it fits in really well with their surroundings. However, I really dislike the rooms, they look waaaay to cheesy, and for some reason clinical. It looks like a childs hospital room or play area. Hopefully the other rooms will look better...

captainkidd

Not liking the look of the rooms. It looks like a childrens nursery run amok from 1973 with cheap, uncomfortable furniture.

Pool looks great. Prefer the lobby at the other Values.

flavious27

I totally agree. The best theming is the pool, I think it fits in really well with their surroundings. However, I really dislike the rooms, they look waaaay to cheesy, and for some reason clinical. It looks like a childs hospital room or play area. Hopefully the other rooms will look better...

The only rooms that don't just jump out at you are the cars themed one:

AOA-Cars-Living-Room.jpg

AOA-Cars-Bedroom.jpg

AOA-Cars-Bathroom.jpg

There are some accents to remind you that this is cars based, the cone lampshades and the toolbox kitchen, but the rest of the hotel isn't as loud.

Disneyfanman

If my kids were small, I would certainly stay there! Over the top, in your face themeing............we always appreciated it because it appealed to them. I think Disney has hit a bulls-eye. It's not always about the adults.

For me now, with my older group (youngest is 19) we would avoid the hotel. We appreciate the "less is more" feeling and look for other things. So I can appreciate the comments about Ft Wilderness, the Poly, etc. Those places pour on the themeing that "transports" without annoying.

captainkidd

The only rooms that don't just jump out at you are the cars themed one:

AOA-Cars-Living-Room.jpg

AOA-Cars-Bedroom.jpg

AOA-Cars-Bathroom.jpg

There are some accents to remind you that this is cars based, the cone lampshades and the toolbox kitchen, but the rest of the hotel isn't as loud.

Or as ugly.

I don't care for the Cars movies, but it'd be my choice as well.

Swfewrmco

I think you are missing the whole point. The resorts are themed to the "sofistication" of the target audience. AOA is targeted toward budget minded families with young children. The children will love the rooms and they will be an extension of the parks. I also imagine the furniture and decorations are more durable or at least look easy to touch up dings with paint.

Exactly. Cheapskates, poors, and inner city church groups don't want subtle nice things. Plus, they tend to abuse and break things a wee bit more, seeing they aren't used to nice things. This "hotel" seems like a perfect fit.

G00fyDad

Exactly. Cheapskates, poors, and inner city church groups don't want subtle nice things. Plus, they tend to abuse and break things a wee bit more, seeing they aren't used to nice things. This "hotel" seems like a perfect fit.

Get down off your high horse and think about it a moment... if you do not like this resort, then maybe it wasn't designed for someone like you. :rolleyes: Those of us with small children might really enjoy this resort. When we stay at a Moderate, we like the subtle Disney accents. But when we stay at a Value resort then we want Disney. Staying at the Values are more for our children than us.

G00fyDad

I have an even better idea. Try staying at the place below is you do not want Disney themes at a Disney value resort, in Walt Disney World.

140077.jpg

G00fyDad

You're dwelling.

I am dwelling?? :shrug: You continue to make zero sense. Good job! :wave:

Here's a clue for you, since you apparently have none of your own. My wife and I make about the same amount as each other, and it totals to nearly $150,000 a year for us. We live in a upper-middle class neighborhood, with a girl, and a boy. Oh yeah, a dog, and a cat too. We have the typical American lifestyle. We are not poor, we are not inner city, and we are not cheapskates. We love the value resorts because our children love them. That is why the value resorts are themed the way they are, for children. They were not targeting people like you. If they were then they would have them all dark with no lights, and no themes because why do you need themes, color, and light when the people staying there have their heads up their butts? You might want to go and think for a while before posting again since you apparently give no pause at all to the things that pop into your head.

We love the Moderates as much as anyone else, especially CBR, but we choose to stay at the Values. Once our children are older then we'll go back to the mods, but for now, we are happy where we are.

nc_disneyfreak

to those who think everything looks great? have a great time staying there!!! i know for my families next trip in april or may 2014 (waiting for daughter to be about 3 1/2, and the fantasyland expansion to be done) we will be in the little mermaid area! to those who dont like it and post the negative comments? last time i checked there were plenty of other hotels on site...no need to bad mouth it....a decent negative opinion is obviously ok (and liked) but bashing it isnt getting u nowhere....:p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom