Lots of new pics of Art of Animation Resort in Sentinel

Pioneer Hall

it looks very unique, but I worry that Cars cannot stay current enough. They aren't going to make more cars films, so in 10 years time, I don't know how great that'll be.

overall, i'd love to stay here, but I just wish they would do something like the hotel cheyenne at paris.

Cars is one of the most profitable movie franchises in terms of merchandise sales all time. It may not seem relevant to older audiences, but to kids who grew up with it (like I did with Mermaid, Lion King, etc) it will be long lasting. Just like we still appreciate Snow White, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty today.

I agree the rooms are overdecorated, but that seems to be what many want from a Disney resort: to be beaten over the head by characters in order to feel like they're at "Disney."

Having stayed there twice, I'd have to agree. Frankly, the AofA decor looks a lot like Disney's version of the Nickelodeon Suites, and that's NOT a compliment. :p

I believe that this is exactly what they were aiming for. The Nick hotel is incredible popular with its target audience and Disney's resorts didn't compete on that level of theming. I think that this is Disney's way of bringing a truly immersive version of their movies to a resort. You might not like the design, but I think that these suites are going to be wildly popular with their target audience. I think a key here is realizing that there is a distinct audience they are trying to target here more so than their other resorts.

Is there any info on their bus system? I am wondering if the new resort will share buses with POP and if there will be just one main stop like at the other values?

I am pretty sure that the resort will have its own bus system and will be set up identically to Pop.

101 Dalmatians - 51 years ago
Fantasia - 62 years ago

:shrug::shrug:

Herbie seems like the worst offender. The Dalmations and Fantasia at least get some attention elsewhere...younger generations can't even recognize the Beetle for the most part.

Blech...Give me the Legendary Years any day over this.

I like Pop, but I think it was a pretty poor concept that will only continue to get worse with age. Resort themes should be able to stand the tests of time since they need to be expected to stand for a long time. The current side of Pop is fun now because parents can take their kids and get a bit of nostalgia. I remember the first time I went with my parents and they pointed out a bunch of things from the 60s and 70s. However, younger generations (which in 20 years this resort still needs to appeal to) won't have that connection. A child born in 2005 won't recognize or care about the 50s icons unfortunately. The Legendary years might have been somewhat cool to see, but they wouldn't have had great appeal. In regards to booking All Star Movie is still more popular that any other value because of the familiar characters and themes. I think that AoA will probably rival that, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if at some point down the road Pop (half) Century gets completely rethemed to create one cohesive resort around the lake.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I think the rooms are crazy over-done; but my family is not Disney's target audience for this resort. We are a family of four which includes two late-teen 6' 4" boys. Not for us.
I showed the pictures to my 6 year old niece and 8 year old nephew however, and they went NUTS!!!
Disney will do well with this resort, just as they do with all of their other resorts.

crispy

I love it! I have two girls ages 4 and 6, and this is right up their alley. We are staying in the Little Mermaid section in September/October, and I know they will be thrilled. I think Disney's resorts run the gamut between subtle and over-the-top so there really is something for everyone.

If I had the cash, I'd stay there, no question. It's fun, and the target audience is families. Therefore: kids. The aim is to appeal to the kids. Regardless of the adult Disney Fanatic, they want the kids to beg mom and dad to stay there again because it's "so cool and fun" ... hence the over-decorated, borderline obnoxious decor. Frankly, all the value resorts are like this, so I'm not sure why some are surprised. No doubt they're rolling the cost of all the extra custom furnishings into the nightly rate.

The subtle sophistication of blending the Disney experience into a resort is reserved for the ones considered "moderate" or "deluxe" to retain that "spa-like" experience. The non-hard core guests with the cash are not going to want to stay in glorified Holiday Inns (because admit it, that's what the values are). When I need to stay on-site, the All-Stars are the most I can afford; I have nothing against them. But they're nothing special as far as amenities. They're designing AoA for families who'd normally need to book 2 rooms, and then charging them a bit on top of that for the novelty. So, from what I see, the only major difference aside from the suites that this new resort has from the other values is a nicer and larger pool.

I don't see the relevance of the films they chose growing "out of date" ... they re-release all the films every so many years, after all. I'd like to stay in all of the themes other than Cars--but I'll need to book with a lot of other friends to afford it! :ROFLOL:

Personally, I'm very excited about this resort. It looks fantastic from what we've seen completed thus far and I might actually die when the Lion King area is finished.

I actually adore the rooms, but I can definitely see how it's a "to each their own" type thing. I place sentimental value and symbolic value and similar such measures of significance over traditional and traditionally aesthetic standards, so I would take the chance to be immersed in my favorite movies over the chance to be immersed in what society defines as luxury and class any day of the week. Preferably off-season days, but I'll take what I can get.

I can go to a fancy hotel just about anywhere. Sure, they won't have Disney gift stores and that vital Disney difference, but the hotels themselves won't change much. But enormous anemones? Elephant graveyards? Radiator springs? I can't get that just anywhere, and it's nice to be able to experience that in a resort context as well as a park context.

My only point of disappointment thus far is the fact that the Ariel area is the only one with single rooms. I'm definitely a go-by-myself type girl and The Little Mermaid is probably my least favorite of the four themes offered.

John

You have to remember who this resort targets....families. I think for them it looks great. Families with young children will love this resort. For an adult it may well be "over the top" but for them there are other options. IMO Disney has really put a lot of thought, effort and MONEY in this resort. Looks incredible. As far as themeing is concerned, way better then any other value resort. Isnt that what we hear over and over on these pages....It's all about the themeing. This is why we visit Disney....right? There is definitly a WOW factor here. Weather it is your taste or not is a personal preference. I suspect this resort will be incredibly popular.

DrewmanS

The room sample is way too overdone for an actual room. Disney characters in rooms are much better done when they are more subtle. The whole room should not look like a child's nursery.

Tha Animal Kingdom Lodge is an example of better use of Disney within the theming. The Lion King emblem is on the chair backs (carved in wood), and everything has an African feel; but the whole room is not aimed at five year olds.

I think you are missing the whole point. The resorts are themed to the "sofistication" of the target audience. AOA is targeted toward budget minded families with young children. The children will love the rooms and they will be an extension of the parks. I also imagine the furniture and decorations are more durable or at least look easy to touch up dings with paint.

Mid range resorts tend to target families with older children. This is why some of the resorts are getting new rooms like Pirates or Princesses. They are still heavily themed, but more toward looking like entering a new world instead of a cartoon.

The luxury resorts are targeted toward adults. The Disney themes are very subtle compared to the overall resort theme.

Of course, it is also a revenue driven model. People who want a more "sofisticated" room will pay more regardless of the age of their children.

NMBC1993

While I do agree that the rooms are a bit overdone, I can see why they did it. As others have said the only reason Disney even finished the legendary years/art of animation is to compete with the Nick suites. But all in all I'm so excited to check in on opening day and see the resort for myself. After that it's off to see The Avengers!!! (Yes, I'm waiting till June 1st to see it because I've waited 4 years for this movie and I don't want any screaming kids or annoying people ruining it for me):D

ToTBellHop

I actually think it looks great. Lobby is very cool and the room decorations are a bit garish, but that's true of most Disney resorts. Who would have the Animal Kingdom Lodge wallpaper in their houses?

chipndale09

is it me or are there no balconies?? I guess you enter the room from the inside of the building, unlike the other values and Mods, where there are common balconies wrapping around the building. I like opening the door in the morning to the beautiful Florida sunshine :)

space42

It's interesting to hear people say that AoA is for people who want to be surrounded by Disney 24x7. Or that the lack of real theming and decorating with over-sized icons is because of the target audience.

I am so glad that I didn't grow up with this version of Disney. Could you imagine if today's Disney built Ft. Wilderness? It would have a giant cowboy boot for Pioneer hall and everything would be covered in Woody.

Instead we have Disney's original 'value' resort with real theming, first class transportation to MK, a dinner show, watercraft, horseback rides, etc. Thank goodness!

FortWildernessD08.JPG

FW1210-01.jpg

FW1210-09.jpg

devoy1701

I believe that this is exactly what they were aiming for. The Nick hotel is incredible popular with its target audience and Disney's resorts didn't compete on that level of theming. I think that this is Disney's way of bringing a truly immersive version of their movies to a resort. You might not like the design, but I think that these suites are going to be wildly popular with their target audience. I think a key here is realizing that there is a distinct audience they are trying to target here more so than their other resorts.

I like Pop, but I think it was a pretty poor concept that will only continue to get worse with age. Resort themes should be able to stand the tests of time since they need to be expected to stand for a long time. The current side of Pop is fun now because parents can take their kids and get a bit of nostalgia. I remember the first time I went with my parents and they pointed out a bunch of things from the 60s and 70s. However, younger generations (which in 20 years this resort still needs to appeal to) won't have that connection. A child born in 2005 won't recognize or care about the 50s icons unfortunately. The Legendary years might have been somewhat cool to see, but they wouldn't have had great appeal. In regards to booking All Star Movie is still more popular that any other value because of the familiar characters and themes. I think that AoA will probably rival that, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if at some point down the road Pop (half) Century gets completely rethemed to create one cohesive resort around the lake.

I get the appeal (and then personally don't get the appeal) of the Nickelodeon Resort. Then again I don't get the appeal of Spongebob in the first place (how dumb are childrens television programs going to get?)! But anyway, I get why Disney went after this design and market because of the wild success that Nickelodeon Resort has had over the years and have a feeling that this resort will also be wildly popular. I think that made sense.

I kind of disagree with your views on Pop! I think it is an excellent idea, but agree that it will lose appeal with age and that the resort itself was a decade too late in execution. The appeal to it mostly has to do with the "Kids at heart" mindset, letting generations enjoy the theming together and remember stuff from their childhood with their kids and grandkids. It's a good thing they did latter half of the century first though! No need to get into why. I can definitely see them redoing POP to match the AoA Resort in the future.

The cars outdoor section looks incredible. Looks like you are in radiator springs. Nice.

I agree. While over-the-top gaudy theming isn't my style (This isn't my cup of tea, and I agree with what some others have said who prefer the subtle character inclusions over the in-your-face/jumbo-sized ones), I do like the look and authenticity feeling of the Cars area (I also really like Carsland as well). I feel like (and mind you I'm just looking at pictures :rolleyes:) the Cars has a more "authentic" feel and therefore does a better job and transporting you into the environment. It's hard to get that feeling from the Nemo section as it all takes place underwater which they can't actually do. Not a diss, just an observation and opinion.

devoy1701

It's interesting to hear people say that AoA is for people who want to be surrounded by Disney 24x7. Or that the lack of real theming and decorating with over-sized icons is because of the target audience.

I am so glad that I didn't grow up with this version of Disney. Could you imagine if today's Disney built Ft. Wilderness? It would have a giant cowboy boot for Pioneer hall and everything would be covered in Woody.

Instead we have Disney's original 'value' resort with real theming, first class transportation to MK, a dinner show, watercraft, horseback rides, etc. Thank goodness!

FortWildernessD08.JPG

FW1210-01.jpg

FW1210-09.jpg

agree!

dmeans

The Orlando Sentinel features a new gallery of pictures of the new Art of Animation Resort that appears to be ready to open.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-...art-of-animation-resort,0,751239.photogallery

It keeps with the "oversized objects" theme of the other "value" resorts, which seems appropriate for the pool area; but buildings themselves seem like they will become quickly dated.

The room sample is way too overdone for an actual room. Disney characters in rooms are much better done when they are more subtle. The whole room should not look like a child's nursery.

Tha Animal Kingdom Lodge is an example of better use of Disney within the theming. The Lion King emblem is on the chair backs (carved in wood), and everything has an African feel; but the whole room is not aimed at five year olds.

Dose anyone remember the actual bestseller book, "The Art of Disney Animation"? It was a nice coffee-table book that pointed out the real artistry and detail in Disny animation. This resort is blows out the colors and overpowers the nature of that book.

I will say that the pool area seems well-done, and the chandelier, but the rest seems too overly bright and ignores the true "art" of animation (Bambi's rain, Beauty and the Beast's dining room, etc.)....

it looks great to me and i already have my reservations for june. to each his own so no one will be forcing you to stay there, but even thought there is not anyone under the age of 12 in my house we look forward to the cool look of this resort and hope we can get close enough to the close parts to see.

Philo

I like the outside of the buildings, the pool is pretty nice and the hallways / walkways with the images on the wall look fantastic, but the rooms themselves do nothing for me.

I'm in no doubt that they will be comfortable, but like the OP said, it seems like a nursery and whilst I'm not against colour and theme, it's absolutely not a place that I will be staying in.

prberk

Original Poster

FortWildernessD08.JPG

FW1210-01.jpg

FW1210-09.jpg

This is exactly what I mean. The oversized icons are cheap theming. Sometimes appropriate (like the pool), but otherwise cheap.

The "value" in "value resorts" should indicate a good value, not "cheap".

I really do see Fort Wilderness as a model of great theming for families that includes characters but also things for the whole family to see and enjoy together. I love the watercraft and horseback riding options, and they were the first resort to offer movies over a campfire at night, with real s'mores to make. Not to mention the Hoop-De-Doo Revue, which is also wonderful (although too expensive these days) -- and so far, no Woody or Pixar pals to be found, unlike it Diamond Horsehoe counterpart in the MK.

I do believe that Disney was a Johnny-come-lately to value-priced family suites. That will be a great incentive for this resort (as opposed to two bedrooms or the crazy price of the "villa" resorts). So, that is very welcome. But the theming in the rooms does not have to hit your over the head and glow in the dark to be good, even for children. Subtlety and room for imagination can be good, too: Anyone ever heard of "hidden Mickeys" or children playing "hide-and-go-seek"?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom