Lord of the Rings and more coming to DHS?

MerlinTheGoat

What I could see is Disney giving Uni a Jungle boat cruise load of money for the rights to Marvel back, Uni now has the space (granted not a lot) and money to do a LOTR land and not use any of there own money. We win with a really good LOTR land at IOA and most likely Marvel area at DHS to go with Star Wars.
Universal isn't stupid, they won't allow that to happen. They're not going to give Marvel up considering how popular it is for them. And they're certainly not going to allow Disney any favors and let them have it, inevitably shifting a bunch of attendance towards Disney again. It would be an incredibly foolish business move for Universal to allow Disney to get hold of Marvel at WDW. They know firsthand how ridiculously popular the franchise is and i'm sure they'll do everything in their power to ensure Disney World is never allowed to use Marvel in their parks. Even if Universal never even builds another Marvel attraction in their park, allowing Disney to have it would most likely be a disaster.

And even if there was a pricetag high enough for Universal to allow WDW to have Marvel, I doubt it's anything Disney would be willing to pay just for a single resort when they've got several others around the globes all capable of using Marvel. It already looks like the Marvel attractions that were coming to Disneyland have been put on a back burner in favor of Star Wars instead (at least for the immediate future).

BiffyClyro

This sounds like a load of bull shadoobie. It would be awesome! But i think LOTR is a no. Loads of rumours go round though, so i'm not calling out your friend or anything. I hope streets of America stay. Think it's really cute.

ExtinctJenn

What I could see is Disney giving Uni a Jungle boat cruise load of money for the rights to Marvel back, Uni now has the space (granted not a lot) and money to do a LOTR land and not use any of there own money. We win with a really good LOTR land at IOA and most likely Marvel area at DHS to go with Star Wars.
Universal isn't stupid, they won't allow that to happen. They're not going to give Marvel up considering how popular it is for them. And they're certainly not going to allow Disney any favors and let them have it, inevitably shifting a bunch of attendance towards Disney again. It would be an incredibly foolish business move for Universal to allow Disney to get hold of Marvel at WDW. They know firsthand how ridiculously popular the franchise is and i'm sure they'll do everything in their power to ensure Disney World is never allowed to use Marvel in their parks. Even if Universal never even builds another Marvel attraction in their park, allowing Disney to have it would most likely be a disaster.

And even if there was a pricetag high enough for Universal to allow WDW to have Marvel, I doubt it's anything Disney would be willing to pay just for a single resort when they've got several others around the globes all capable of using Marvel. It already looks like the Marvel attractions that were coming to Disneyland have been put on a back burner in favor of Star Wars instead (at least for the immediate future).
Maybe I'm confused but... Disney owns Marvel now do they not? There is a contract in place somewhere I'm sure that "allows" Universal the rights to use the characters and, regardless of whether or not they'd allow it to happen, some day it's possible that contract will end and Disney could force them to give them up. I don't see them doing that but they could. They own the rights to the characters and could easily "take them back" without having to pay Universal a dime.

CDavid

Maybe I'm confused but... Disney owns Marvel now do they not? There is a contract in place somewhere I'm sure that "allows" Universal the rights to use the characters and, regardless of whether or not they'd allow it to happen, some day it's possible that contract will end and Disney could force them to give them up. I don't see them doing that but they could. They own the rights to the characters and could easily "take them back" without having to pay Universal a dime.

Again, the contract is available online for anyone to read, but it has no end date.

Did Knee

Again, the contract is available online for anyone to read, but it has no end date.
That always made me wonder. WDW cannot use the characters it owns in perpetuity? It seems like there would be a legal statute of limitations where an open ended contract like that could no longer be enforced.

nor'easter

Disney inherited the terms of the former agreement when they bought Marvel. They own the characters, but cannot use them in a theme park in the eastern US.

Ralphlaw

What they may do is incorporate new super heroes in with the old, and then capitalize on the new one. Like Hawkeye and Black widow, maybe. Just get some new ones, bring them in on the coattails of the others, and then build attractions around them. Honestly, Iron Man is cool for many reasons, but his history is a relatively minor one of those reason.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
That always made me wonder. WDW cannot use the characters it owns in perpetuity? It seems like there would be a legal statute of limitations where an open ended contract like that could no longer be enforced.

Disney would never get into a contract like this but Marvel was really in bad financial shape at the time they made the deal so they ended up giving Uni a pretty good deal.

What they may do is incorporate new super heroes in with the old, and then capitalize on the new one. Like Hawkeye and Black widow, maybe. Just get some new ones, bring them in on the coattails of the others, and then build attractions around them. Honestly, Iron Man is cool for many reasons, but his history is a relatively minor one of those reason.

Hawkeye and Black Widow are part of the Avengers and thus off limits.

Did Knee

My vote is for some Marvel heroes winding up doing cameos in an "Incredibles II"

NoChesterHester

And with the Marvel Contract interjection this thread will soon jump the shark. Oh wait... That happened with the original post.

Seriously folks - just do a search. The Marvel contract with Universal has been widely discussed and every little bit analysed. It is frustrating for a fan, but Marvel Characters will likely never ever be in WDW.

Bairstow

According to Jim Hill, Bob Iger Universal was actually willing to discussing selling the east coast Marvel park rights.
It was not going to be cheap, obviously.
What ended up souring the negotiations, supposedly, is that Disney refused to halt production of Oz the Great and Powerful, which was going to impede on the success of a different Baum adaptation that Universal had in the pipeline.

This is around 6:00 http://podcast.touringplans.com/201...h-the-stories-youll-hear-from-mr-hill-part-2/

Last edited:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Hmm, well maybe this old image I made could have happened (LOTR replacing Marvel and Toon Lagoon)

unimiddle-earth-map_zpsc0d98c35.jpg

Bairstow

Brad Bird's opposed to letting other superheroes into Incredibles. Compares crossovers to freaky incest babies or something.

I think he's got the right idea.
The Incredibles was always really a parody or deconstruction of superhero fiction.
It's really Watchmen but with a focus on family dynamics.
To add the material it was based on would ruin the world he created.

ExtinctJenn

Disney inherited the terms of the former agreement when they bought Marvel. They own the characters, but cannot use them in a theme park in the eastern US.
Thank you for being the person to answer my honest question with a fair answer. Still, I'd have to agree that there's probably some sort of loop hole somewhere that if they really wanted to they could enforce. Not that I can see them doing it, Disney has enough characters of their own. Maybe too there are some nice royalties paid out to Disney to use them so it's a win win for them.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Thank you for being the person to answer my honest question with a fair answer. Still, I'd have to agree that there's probably some sort of loop hole somewhere that if they really wanted to they could enforce. Not that I can see them doing it, Disney has enough characters of their own. Maybe too there are some nice royalties paid out to Disney to use them so it's a win win for them.
No loophole. It's an amazing situation when you think about it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom