Long live the Eastern Gateway or how I learned to love the Anaheim City Council after the election.

DanielBB8

I'm not saying you made it up. All I was saying is you don't know how things would have played out. For example say Disney had bought AGW back in 2010 when it was in foreclosure. No guarantee that the union push to still have the wage initiative or even to include AGW. Point is that things could have played out very differently, we'll never know.
AGW was a side effect that would be included with how the proposition was written. What played out was the previous to the last Anaheim City Council wanted to encourage luxury hotels for Convention business so they allowed a city subsidy to entice developers to make it. Then the union didn't like and the previous City Council and Mayor changed to become business unfriendly and pro-union. They didn't discourage the unions. That's why I said the City Council can change their minds and decide all agreements are off and they did. So Disney needs to tread carefully and not hesitate on making decisions.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
AGW was a side effect that would be included with how the proposition was written. What played out was the previous to the last Anaheim City Council wanted to encourage luxury hotels for Convention business so they allowed a city subsidy to entice developers to make it. Then the union didn't like and the previous City Council and Mayor changed to become business unfriendly and pro-union. They didn't discourage the unions. That's why I said the City Council can change their minds and decide all agreements are off and they did. So Disney needs to tread carefully and not hesitate on making decisions.
I know exactly how it played out, I was here discussing it back then. You keep missing the point. But it doesn't matter now. We can move on from that.

As for the rest, you seem to think that City Councils just change their minds on a whim. That is not how it works. A lot of things had to go certain ways in order for Tait to push the Council that way. So again no guarantee things go in that direction again in the future. I get the point you're trying to make, but things are not as simple as you are trying to make them seem. Its a lot more complicated, City politics always are....

There appears to be a lot of things happening in the background that we are not privy to. However reading between the lines of what Darkbeer has posted. Disney (through Josh D) is playing nice with Anaheim, basically old school politicking, trying to make moves to get things like the EGW and a new Hotel pushed through the Planning Commission. Its going to take things mentioned already to get these projects moving in the right direction again. We'll see how it plays out. So I can't say for sure everything will work out, for all I know it may all fall apart again, but it does look like Disney to trying to get things done.

Darkbeer1

Garden Grove is definitely in plan.

As for why a new Disney owned Hotel on the West Side of Toy Story/Bullseye, due to the close access to the Convention Center. It would be more of an upscale Business Hotel with a large convention facility on it. It would primarily be for senior business execs (with their families) and celebrity's that would attend shows, which is on a regular basis. Of course, it also would be happy to also serve park guests.

Alas, San Diego just signed ComicCon through 2025, so Anaheim has about 3 years to prepare a new bid to prove that Anaheim offers more than San Diego. Which means, can San Diego find a way to expand its facilities?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Has the ex post facto nature of the Living Wage Initiative been upheld by a court?
Has anyone tried to implement it requiring a court to even rule on it? I don't think it has. It kind of just faded away once Disney agreed to the new contracts with the wage hikes, my take on it anyways.

Darkbeer1

Has anyone tried to implement it requiring a court to even rule on it? I don't think it has. It kind of just faded away once Disney agreed to the new contracts with the wage hikes, my take on it anyways.

I am surprised, as are many others that it hasn't happened.

But UNITE HERE and its ally's are working on other things, getting ready for the 2020 election. They did claim that Measure L would apply to Disney, which hasn't been the case, so that is something that can go against them in November 2020.

UNITE HERE has also focused its attention to Mayor Sidhu and trying to make him look as bad as possible.

Also, the thought about waiting until the opening of the Westin and JW Marriott and see how they handle things, and maybe go after a supplier or contractor that isn't paying the new wage.

shambolicdefending

Bump.

I remember some chatter that they were planning to resurrect the gateway before the 2020 election cycle. I assume we'd have seen some movement on it by now if that was still the case.

Darkbeer1

Bump.

I remember some chatter that they were planning to resurrect the gateway before the 2020 election cycle. I assume we'd have seen some movement on it by now if that was still the case.
No, the Mayor and his negation team are focused on the Angel Stadium Situation, which should be known by the end of the year. Then the Eastern Gateway will come. But now Disney has decided that the DVC tower is more important.

Also, Disney is hoping for an attendance push (RotR opening), and the increased demand for parking to show a need.

UNITE HERE is pushing Recall Rumors, which is another new twist.

Jiggsawpuzzle35

No, the Mayor and his negation team are focused on the Angel Stadium Situation, which should be known by the end of the year. Then the Eastern Gateway will come. But now Disney has decided that the DVC tower is more important.

Also, Disney is hoping for an attendance push (RotR opening), and the increased demand for parking to show a need.

I guess you were right about the whole building a new stadium on the cite of The Grove. I just hope its larger than 33,000 seats.

Ismael Flores

Didn't they just have some days where the two parking structures filled up and they had gridlock issues not to long ago? You would think the need for another parking structure does not need to be proven anymore

Darkbeer1

I guess you were right about the whole building a new stadium on the cite of The Grove. I just hope its larger than 33,000 seats.
The Stadium deal is by no means done. Pretty sure they are meeting tomorrow to try and get a deal closer to the finish line.

It is scary for me to even think on how I am now so deep I am into this stuff.

Yesterday, I was working on the roof to get things ready for having my house exterior painted. Got a phone call to discuss some city issues from a power player. On a Sunday even... So while inspecting and removing wiring that isn't needed, discussed some high level stuff... Being high and looking over the city gives you a bit different reflection, since what we do impacts a lot of lives, and their quality of life.

This time of year always make you give thanks. Last year was the Christmas miracle and getting an emergency homeless shelter open in 10 days. I would love to see L.A. do that.

Ironically, currently working for opening another one (Focused on Females and Couples).

The best way to move forward with the current leadership is to look forward and make positive changes. Yes, we know that Dr. Moreno and his friends are trying to put up roadblocks and hoping for us to fail.

Well, I am happy to work with wonderful old ladies, and people from all walks of life to get things done.

Blessed to have union members from the building trades willing to step up and help to get things done, anything from minor home repairs for someone with problems that doesn't allow them to get it done themselves. Also, they have already volunteered to help on the hopefully new shelter construction.

We can't let the naysayers (and unfortunately that includes our Union local 11 friends) get in our way.

The Angels deal MUST be a Win-Win for everyone. The city needs to insure a good steady income on a regular basis, plus that the city hangs onto assets to protect our future, and keep the team in town to support jobs and the sports related income (similar to tourism). And we need to make sure we take that income and use it in every area of the city.

I have higher expectations now then when we started this new path when Mayor Tait was termed out.

I also know that in return for Disney political funds, we have to make win-win deals with them. And the main things on the plate. The DVC Tower, the Eastern Gateway, and then the conversion to the Transit Plaza to park land. The great thing is Disney is willing to help deliver wins for the city and its residents, which include some CM's. We just need to make sure that those positive things are known to all.

But at the last Council Meeting, Dr. Moreno brought up the new DLR Child Care Program, nice to hear that it was a win he could appreciate.

In politics, you need patience, and the desire to keep moving forward, even if one pathway is blocked.

So Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and hoping for an Angels announcement before the New Year!

Darkbeer1

Didn't they just have some days where the two parking structures filled up and they had gridlock issues not to long ago? You would think the need for another parking structure does not need to be proven anymore

We need more of that, especially on the East side.

But Disney HAS to clear the Transit Plaza to move forward with Park projects.

And timing has to be right.

The Chess game has moved past the Pawn swap stage....

truecoat

Original Poster
We need more of that, especially on the East side.

But Disney HAS to clear the Transit Plaza to move forward with Park projects.

And timing has to be right.

The Chess game has moved past the Pawn swap stage....

It's been a couple months. Is there any reportable news on this project?

TP2000

It's been a couple months. Is there any reportable news on this project?

Funny you should mention it, we're discussing this over in the new thread today about a TDA executives interview with the OC Register on expansion plans for DCA's HollywoodLand.

I haven't heard a word about it via the real estate community, but maybe Darkbeer has some insight? Otherwise, this new thread on HollywoodLand's future is where the action is... https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...gining-at-disney-california-adventure.963255/

truecoat

Original Poster
Funny you should mention it, we're discussing this over in the new thread today about a TDA executives interview with the OC Register on expansion plans for DCA's HollywoodLand.

I haven't heard a word about it via the real estate community, but maybe Darkbeer has some insight? Otherwise, this new thread on HollywoodLand's future is where the action is... https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...gining-at-disney-california-adventure.963255/

Yeah, I looked at it earlier but I guess I need to catch up.

Darkbeer1

Not much time.

Well, the Recall is real as papers have been filed.

On Tuesday, the city approved another 100 beds to be added to the current Salvation Army project.

The Anaheim First initiative is wrapping up the second round of town halls.

The funeral for Esther Wallace will be tomorrow.

Tonight, the WAND Executive Committee is meeting to figure out who the next chairperson will be, and other matters. Sounds like the other board members have decided, and well, I have been working on the next agenda.

I think there is no "right" time for the Eastern Gateway to be submitted.

I think Disney will wait until the DVC tower, which has been submitted, gets through the entire process.

Darkbeer1

Lucky me, in my e-mail today

>>Greetings!

We are thrilled that you will be joining us for the reception to meet Disneyland Resort President Rebecca Campbell. Please review all event details below before arriving for the event.<<

What type of gift should I send her?

Oh yes, here is some fine print in the invite.

>>
Attendance at this event may constitute acceptance of a reportable gift. We

encourage you to check with your office's ethics commission and/or counsel

before attending this event.
<<

socalifornian

Lucky me, in my e-mail today

>>Greetings!

We are thrilled that you will be joining us for the reception to meet Disneyland Resort President Rebecca Campbell. Please review all event details below before arriving for the event.<<

What type of gift should I send her?

Oh yes, here is some fine print in the invite.

>>
Attendance at this event may constitute acceptance of a reportable gift. We

encourage you to check with your office's ethics commission and/or counsel

before attending this event.
<<

A link to this forum!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom