Long live the Eastern Gateway or how I learned to love the Anaheim City Council after the election.

socalifornian

Is this just wishful thinking or has there been a new development?
Darkbeer confirmed it on Thursday in the permits thread:

>>Later this year, Disney will file the minorly revised Eastern Gateway plan, and depending how that goes, Disney would love to shuffle things around. One big issue is the Toy Story Lot, which is only temporarily zoned for parking (It is still zoned for agriculture). If that can be worked out (the city wants to build the Gene Autry extension), that is another major puzzle piece. Disney is looking for more space away from the resort for BOH Support stuff. They have talked to a property manager for a large property near me (think I-5 and Magnolia), not sure if it has gone any further than a first talk, but does show Disney has been looking...Heck, when USCIS moves out (Eastern Gateway land), you might not see it turned into parking, but something else.

DanielBB8

Only if they fund the hotel themselves without city subsidies that will obligate Disney to pay much higher wages. I hope Disney adds a tower or 2 to existing hotels to save costs. They'll have no problem charging a lot of money for them.

I wonder if Disney is holding out on the former ESPN Zone and Rainforest Cafe means a hotel tower will go in those 2 locations eventually. They are the locations for the original Disneyland Hotel that later became a shopping and restaurant area and monorail station.

socalifornian

I forgot all about this. Is the new parking deck still not enough spaces? Also, is this being built on hypothetical third gate real estate?
Apparently not. As far as I’m understanding:

Green: Eastern gateway/parking structure/new transportation area/security

Red: USCIS. The lease isn’t up yet

Blue: Potential third Gate. Per Darkbeer tho, Anaheim wants a road where the yellow is unless they get creative. RIP
734F9C64-CF63-419F-8BC4-B053D0C8085F.jpeg

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

can someone explain to me what the eastern gateway even means? is this referring to a 3rd park or another parking lot or a alternate entrance to Disneyland itself besides the main gate or a alternate entrance to dca besides the main gate???

Darkbeer1

The Eastern Gateway was designed to do two things.

First was to take advantage of the pre-zoned Pummba Lot and build needed new parking.

Second was to move the Security Check farther away from the Main Entrance Plaza
This was a key item, and much discussion happened at the Planning Commission meeting in regards to security and safety.

The unspoken priority was opening up more land for Theme Park expansion. But everyone was told to not discuss that aspect, and the submitted plans were very vague on the west side of Harbor.

Those are still priorities, and why Disney is preparing to submit it again to the city for approval.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

The Eastern Gateway was designed to do two things.

First was to take advantage of the pre-zoned Pummba Lot and build needed new parking.

Second was to move the Security Check farther away from the Main Entrance Plaza
This was a key item, and much discussion happened at the Planning Commission meeting in regards to security and safety.

The unspoken priority was opening up more land for Theme Park expansion. But everyone was told to not discuss that aspect, and the submitted plans were very vague on the west side of Harbor.

Those are still priorities, and why Disney is preparing to submit it again to the city for approval.
Ok thanks for clarifying

The_Mesh_Hatter

can someone explain to me what the eastern gateway even means? is this referring to a 3rd park or another parking lot or a alternate entrance to Disneyland itself besides the main gate or a alternate entrance to dca besides the main gate???
It refers to the development occurring on the eastern side of the resort—parking and security. The current plan is the Pumba Lot is being extended and turned into more CM parking instead of a guest parking lot. Plans for the original design are at the beginning of the thread

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

It refers to the development occurring on the eastern side of the resort—parking and security. The current plan is the Pumba Lot is being extended and turned into more CM parking instead of a guest parking lot. Plans for the original design are at the beginning of the thread
thanks. I saw the plans but didn't understand what the term "eastern gateway" referred to. generally when the word "gate" is used when discussing a Disney park it refers to another park. so I wanted to clarify what was meant by the term.

TP2000

If the plans for DCA expansion into the East Esplanade were supposed to be kept vague, Disney's own staff did a horrible job at keeping that a secret.

They publicly released documents that showed a dotted line as a re-routed Monorail track, a new Cast drop-off area, and a new Shuttle drop-off area, plus a big blank space where all that stuff used to be, that all made it clearly obvious what they wanted to do with that land; expand the theme park north into that space.

disneyland-eastern-gateway-plans.jpg

Not saying that TDA and Burbank didn't want to keep that a secret, but when they allowed the college intern to mock up the schematics they obviously didn't do a good job of obscuring the future of the East Esplanade. The re-routing of the monorail track with that little dotted line was the worst mistake. Do they not have a manager to double-check this stuff before they release it publicly? 🧐

Those official documents with re-routed monorail track made it all to easy for any casual blogger or half-interested Reddit user to create a map like this, that shows what Disney's ultimate goal is with the Eastern Gateway plan.

OFihzST.jpg

It will be interesting to see what the documents look like, and how well they've been scrubbed, when TDA tries a second time on the Eastern Gateway later this year or next. ;)

Last edited:

180º

I’m weirdly thankful that the Eastern Gateway was stalled when it was, because Disney was forced to build the Pixar Pals structure in the meantime. I figured they’d want to keep pursuing the Eastern Gateway post-Star Wars, but I’m not sure we would have gotten Pixar Pals if Eastern Gateway opened in 2019. This way hopefully we’ll end up with more parking overall!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom