Long live the Eastern Gateway or how I learned to love the Anaheim City Council after the election.

truecoat

Original Poster
Will the downturn in attendance kick the Eastern Gateway can down the road a bit more? Or do they build the transit/drop off portion and leave a new parking ramp for later.

The_Mesh_Hatter

The Manchester CM Lot has risen in place of of the Eastern Gateway, and Katella CM Lot is officially a thing of the past. 🕯

I’d imagine Disney is holding off on any decision for more parking until they see a relief from the attendance downturn. Late August/Early September is the month to look out for.

Darkbeer1

The Eastern Gateway is Key for Disney to move the current security and Transportation Plaza to the East side of Harbor.

But Disney already has the permissions to take Pummba vertical to build a parking structure.

What it needs is the Planning Commission and zoning changes approved, and they know that can be done (with a decent plan that addresses many of the concerns from non-Disney businesses and residents, note, I said Many, not all) with the current council, so that ends November 2020.

So it can't be delayed too long. AnaheI'M FIRST rolls out in August/September, so we shall see, hopefully this fall.

WDW Pro

The Eastern Gateway is Key for Disney to move the current security and Transportation Plaza to the East side of Harbor.

But Disney already has the permissions to take Pummba vertical to build a parking structure.

What it needs is the Planning Commission and zoning changes approved, and they know that can be done (with a decent plan that addresses many of the concerns from non-Disney businesses and residents, note, I said Many, not all) with the current council, so that ends November 2020.

So it can't be delayed too long. AnaheI'M FIRST rolls out in August/September, so we shall see, hopefully this fall.

Well, and if you look down the road another decade or more, The Eastern Gateway is 100% necessary to have any option for a third gate.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
In fairness, WDW Pro said "any option" for a 3rd gate. That's pretty wide open for both timeline and location. (In other words, I think you're both correct.)
Toy Story lot is, what, 80 acres? That can fit a good sized theme park. The perfect place for Star Wars and Marvel lands.
Except as @Darkbeer1 has reported Toy Story lot isn't slated to be used for a 3rd gate (neither in permit or in plan), but rather Anaheim wants to use it to extend Gene Autry Way into the Convention Center.

So I don't know where this 3rd Gate that WDW Pro is believing is still on the table in TDA would be going in Anaheim.

TROR

Except as @Darkbeer1 has reported Toy Story lot isn't slated to be used for a 3rd gate (neither in permit or in plan), but rather Anaheim wants to use it to extend Gene Autry Way into the Convention Center.

So I don't know where this 3rd Gate that WDW Pro is believing is still on the table in TDA would be going in Anaheim.
All of which can change.

Ismael Flores

Will the downturn in attendance kick the Eastern Gateway can down the road a bit more? Or do they build the transit/drop off portion and leave a new parking ramp for later.

If they were smart enough they would go ahead and build it as soon as possible. What better time to have to close off areas of parking , Timon) then during a soft period so that they are not in need of the parking spots. If they wait for crowds to pick up again then shutdown parking area in peak season they they will be in a jam with loss of parking spaces.

or at least get the shuttle area and security area built so that they can get the DCA park expansion going and then build the parking garage when thats done

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

The wheels of Government move slowly. Disney will address the current slow period. Looks like it is grin and bear it until September, then if the AP's don't solve the current slow period, Disney is preparing marketing (aka discounts and similar things) to get the foot traffic. Halloween and Christmas are coming soon.

As for a third gate, based on what Josh D'Amaro has said in conversations I have been part of, it is not on his radar. The Eastern Gateway, and getting Toy Story zoned for parking, to replace the current temporary permit expiring shortly. And the door is open for compromise. Who knows, maybe he gets an open zoning in return for the Gene Autry access. But if anything, sounds like Hotels. Maybe a 4 Diamond that helps both the Convention Center and DLR guests on the west end.

As for a Third Gate, due to costs on many levels, California is not on TWDC radar for a new park.

shambolicdefending

The third gate will always be the "maybe someday..." topic, right?

But it seems to be getting less likely as time goes on. I mean, if the nationwide business climate of today existed in 1950, I have serious doubts California would even get the original Disneyland. Walt would skip straight to Florida, or maybe settle in Texas.

Plus, there are still some really obvious long-term expansion opportunities elsewhere that would almost surely be cheaper with a bigger ROI (Disney Resort Brazil, anyone?).

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The third gate will always be the "maybe someday..." topic, right?

But it seems to be getting less likely as time goes on. I mean, if the nationwide business climate of today existed in 1950, I have serious doubts California would even get the original Disneyland. Walt would skip straight to Florida, or maybe settle in Texas.

Plus, there are still some really obvious long-term expansion opportunities elsewhere that would almost surely be cheaper with a bigger ROI (Disney Resort Brazil, anyone?).
3rd gate will always be the fandom topic that is brought up when some don’t like the direction of DLR. IE, “they should have put that in the 3rd gate”. I was on that train for a long time, but got smart and got off.

Ismael Flores

Let's hope they can add more parking spots with this Eastern Gateway. DLR needs them now more than ever what with all these massive crowds for Star Wars Land.

well to be fair the resort needed it before without Star wars land so massive crowds now or not makes no difference when the Holiday seasons come and the convention center is also hosting. Also looks like they finally have some steady plans for AGW so that might eventually need its parking spaces

WDW Pro

The wheels of Government move slowly. Disney will address the current slow period. Looks like it is grin and bear it until September, then if the AP's don't solve the current slow period, Disney is preparing marketing (aka discounts and similar things) to get the foot traffic. Halloween and Christmas are coming soon.

As for a third gate, based on what Josh D'Amaro has said in conversations I have been part of, it is not on his radar. The Eastern Gateway, and getting Toy Story zoned for parking, to replace the current temporary permit expiring shortly. And the door is open for compromise. Who knows, maybe he gets an open zoning in return for the Gene Autry access. But if anything, sounds like Hotels. Maybe a 4 Diamond that helps both the Convention Center and DLR guests on the west end.

As for a Third Gate, due to costs on many levels, California is not on TWDC radar for a new park.

A third gate is not on anyone's radar other than it being exceedingly wise to guard property that could potentially be used in the distant future should the need arise. Granting Gene Autry access, even given it would have to first go through residential lots, would be a significant mistake. I'm quite certain that TWDC understands the incredible value of SoCal real estate and the potentiality of change in political impediments as the pendulum swings in the future.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
A third gate is not on anyone's radar other than it being exceedingly wise to guard property that could potentially be used in the distant future should the need arise. Granting Gene Autry access, even given it would have to first go through residential lots, would be a significant mistake. I'm quite certain that TWDC understands the incredible value of SoCal real estate and the potentiality of change in political impediments as the pendulum swings in the future.
This is where I would say that @Darkbeer1 has a better insight into the political climate and inner workings of the TDA and Anaheim working relationship.

TDA at this point would likely be better off using the land for a future 4 Diamond hotel than trying to save it for some wishful thinking 3rd gate in some very distance future that'll likely never come. So if that means some horse trading going on with carving out some of TS lot for a Gene Autry passthru in order to get the rezoning and permitting completed for the rest to be a hotel. Then TDA would be stupid not to do it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom