Living with the Land Refurbishment 8/2/2009

raven

Soooo...The only confirmation is the boat in storage??

I saw the boat last night and they are the same size as the original. The floor of the boat is just a little taller. I asked a technician about the size and he said they are the same size as the original boats just new. So now I don't understand why they would need to make some turns wider. But the tightest turns are in the boat storage area, not the ride. :veryconfu

Horizonsfan

I saw the boat last night and they are the same size as the original. The floor of the boat is just a little taller. I asked a technician about the size and he said they are the same size as the original boats just new. So now I don't understand why they would need to make some turns wider. But the tightest turns are in the boat storage area, not the ride. :veryconfu

Maybe the OP got bad info regarding the new boats. If they are deeper than the originals, I would suspect that they would have to reconstruct the flumes to be deeper. They're probably replacing the boats due to :lookaroun heftier :lookaroun guests, like what they had to do with DL's IASW.

raven

Maybe the OP got bad info regarding the new boats. If they are deeper than the originals, I would suspect that they would have to reconstruct the flumes to be deeper. They're probably replacing the boats due to :lookaroun heftier :lookaroun guests, like what they had to do with DL's IASW.

The handicap access will now be in the rear of the boat on the same level as the loading area for easier load and unload proceedures. Currently the handicap area is in the front of the boats with a ramp down into the boat. The current depth of the flume is plenty deep enough to accomodate these changes since the new boats float in the same depth of water.

Since only every other boat (2 linked together) has handicap access, I'm not sure they would need to change all of the current ones that don't have handicap access. :shrug:

tirian

The handicap access will now be in the rear of the boat on the same level as the loading area for easier load and unload proceedures. Currently the handicap area is in the front of the boats with a ramp down into the boat. The current depth of the flume is plenty deep enough to accomodate these changes since the new boats float in the same depth of water.

Since only every other boat (2 linked together) has handicap access, I'm not sure they would need to change all of the current ones that don't have handicap access. :shrug:

Did the guy mention when the switch will happen? Will it cause significant downtime, and will the attraction receive a refurb, or is this something that can be done in 2 or 3 days? I'm curious because this isn't listed on the internal schedule for Epcot.

TOTGuy

As a former boat rider I can give some info.
Refurb will be to re-situate the loading gates so that the ADA gate is in the proper position with the new boats. Also it will revamp the queue. When SS was refurbed the new seating took out almost a 1/4 of the queue. There always were stantions set up for an overflow queue but upper mgmt hated it as it was really bad show. Hopefully some length will be added as when the Boat ride exceeds 15-20 minutes the line spills out into SS. I hope these boats will be of better quality then the previous ones which sunk all the time. I wish they would put the captains back on them but apparently it just never worked as there were never enough CMs to cover boats and people would be stuck on boats for entire days and would never get a land position. I wouldn't mind them revamping circle. It's just sad. The theater is disgusting and that whole complex is treated like crap compared to Soarin'. I also would like to see them move the Video monitor position out front so CMs wouldn't have to sit in the dark back there and listen to "In Saudi Arabia and Mexico we're learning to produce crops on desert sea coasts..."
Although it's nice to see Land/Circle finally getting some TLC.

As a former boat rider I can give some info.
Refurb will be to re-situate the loading gates so that the ADA gate is in the proper position with the new boats. Also it will revamp the queue. When SS was refurbed the new seating took out almost a 1/4 of the queue. There always were stantions set up for an overflow queue but upper mgmt hated it as it was really bad show. Hopefully some length will be added as when the Boat ride exceeds 15-20 minutes the line spills out into SS. I hope these boats will be of better quality then the previous ones which sunk all the time. I wish they would put the captains back on them but apparently it just never worked as there were never enough CMs to cover boats and people would be stuck on boats for entire days and would never get a land position. I wouldn't mind them revamping circle. It's just sad. The theater is disgusting and that whole complex is treated like crap compared to Soarin'. I also would like to see them move the Video monitor position out front so CMs wouldn't have to sit in the dark back there and listen to "In Saudi Arabia and Mexico we're learning to produce crops on desert sea coasts..."
Although it's nice to see Land/Circle finally getting some TLC.

What is that about? I always feel sorry for those CMs. Do they have to operate the doors or why couldn't that position be moved.

TheBeatles

One of my friends is a Professional Intern at the Land and he said it will be down the entire month of August.

However, I can't confirm that information.

Ceekling

I was just on this yesterday and thinking that some of the videos could really use an upgrade. Although I liked having the pilot on board, the audio is pretty good and well-synced so that you aren't hearing info about something you've already passed or have yet to see.

ETA: We went on this at 10am, just after grabbing Soarin' FPs and it was a 5 minute wait. Even at lunchtime, with a crowded eatery, the wait was only 20 minutes.

tirian

I was just on this yesterday and thinking that some of the videos could really use an upgrade. Although I liked having the pilot on board, the audio is pretty good and well-synced so that you aren't hearing info about something you've already passed or have yet to see.

ETA: We went on this at 10am, just after grabbing Soarin' FPs and it was a 5 minute wait. Even at lunchtime, with a crowded eatery, the wait was only 20 minutes.

Don't misread that to mean the attraction is unpopular; it sees many more riders than Imagination. LWTL absorbs a lot of Guests and keeps the line moving, much like the HM or PoTC rarely have lines over 30 minutes. I've seen the LWTL queue extend into the dining area, and the wait was still only 30 minutes.

SMRT-1

it seems that the slow "living with the land" boat ride will be getting a refurb going down august 2, 2009 and will be down for at least two months. They're going to be adding new boats to the flume, new video in the barn scenes. The main purpose of the refurb is the structure of the queue area and for better guest flow, especially for the busier seasons. The new boats are already in and they appear to have a total of 10 rows, with the wheelchair access ramp in the back. There are a few parts in the attraction where they're going to have to expand the flume, due to the new boats being too large to make some of the turns.

good news!

erasure fan1

I don't understand it. People complain that the parks don't get enough TLC and when they do they complain that it's closed.:confused:

I think the problem is the fact that WDW tends to wait until the ride is in pretty bad shape before they do anything about it. So then they have to take the ride down for extended time (a few weeks or a month) instead of maybe a few days here and there to get things fixed.

I think its great living with the land is getting some love. Its one of our favorites so if true this is good news.

captainkidd

I think the problem is the fact that WDW tends to wait until the ride is in pretty bad shape before they do anything about it. So then they have to take the ride down for extended time (a few weeks or a month) instead of maybe a few days here and there to get things fixed.

I think its great living with the land is getting some love. Its one of our favorites so if true this is good news.

The problem in this case (if it's true) is Disney giving less than a month's notice of it. That's unacceptable.

WDW Monorail

I disagree. It would ________ me off if they closed an attraction because a speaker wasn't working or an AA had lost motion. I'd wait until maybe some other elements failed before thinking about closing the ride.

prberk

It seems that the slow "Living with the Land" boat ride will be getting a refurb going down August 2, 2009 and will be down for at least two months. They're going to be adding new boats to the flume, new video in the barn scenes. The main purpose of the refurb is the structure of the queue area and for better guest flow, especially for the busier seasons. The new boats are already in and they appear to have a total of 10 rows, with the wheelchair access ramp in the back. There are a few parts in the attraction where they're going to have to expand the flume, due to the new boats being too large to make some of the turns.

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly are you calling the "flume"? Are you meaning a sort of track beneath the boat, or the whole "river" per se in which the boat rides? Or something else completely?

Paul

RoRo

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly are you calling the "flume"? Are you meaning a sort of track beneath the boat, or the whole "river" per se in which the boat rides? Or something else completely?

Paul

The flume is the path the boat travels on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom