Living the Life... at the Contemporary: A September 2008 Trip Report (with photos)!

Sometime in the past month or two I found this section of the forums and I’ve been enjoying everyone’s trip reports ever since. So I thought I would add mine to the mix. I want to thank you all for such great reports; they’ve inspired me to write my own.

A little background info to set the wheels in motion: I’m 26 years old and usually visit WDW 3-4 times a year. My first visit was as an adult when the guy I had been dating for about a month (enter: Brett, 27) was filled with shock and awe that I had never experienced his beloved Disney. So he immediately planned our first trip and now… 4 1/2 years later we’ve just returned from our 14th. Needless to say-I’m hooked (on both the mouse and Brett)!

It’s all great, but our favorite things about the world would have to be… the characters, dining, resorts and overall ambience and magic that we feel when we’re there! We are attempting to stay at every resort on property and so far we’ve been able to check off Pop, All-Stars (all three), Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, Saratoga Springs and the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Now that this trip is complete we can add our very first monorail resort to the list: The Contemporary. Yay!

Our stay at the Contemporary was made possible by my wonderful boss who said yes to my suggestion that we attend a conference at the resort! Shhh… don’t tell anyone, but the room rate for conference attendees was only $157 per night!!! Now, that’s the way to go. We stayed for 4 nights and even though I only spent one day in conference sessions the rate applied to the whole stay. Woo Woo!!

*so now I suggest you all go in search of some kind of conference relevant to your work that will be taking place there, if only to get the room rate for the rest of your stay*

And now... on with the report (and pics)!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Great Everest Challenge report! I loved all the details and how you scanned a bunch of stuff to show us! That is a bummer that your time didn't show up...I wonder if there is someone you can call. I agree about the 5K split time, that would be a good improvement.

Thanks! I'm sure you're right about there being someone we could call, but we haven't. I guess I'm not too concerned about it, not like I'd be if it happened during the marathon.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Day 5, Sunday September 28, 2008: Check-out/MK

So when we woke up on Sunday morning it was time to pack up and check out…but not before breakfast! We had 7:30 am reservations for The Wave and this was our first time eating there. I really enjoyed it. The décor of the restaurant was not what I expected, but I found that I really liked it. After seeing the signage I thought the restaurant would have a color palette of cool/deep blues with a little neon here and there; instead it had a warmer ambience with browns, oranges and taupes. During our meal we were discussing the different merits of organically grown foods, as everything on the menu fits that bill, and Brett commented on the “waves of grain”… and as he said it the lightbulb went off! Now, I get it. How clever!

Wave signage:

P9240041.jpg

Inside the restaurant (didn't turn out so well, but it gives you the idea):

P9280427.jpg

After breakfast we headed back up to the room to get our stuff together for check-out. Brett went to pull the car around and met up with the bell services gentleman while I went to the front desk to check us out. He met me back in the lobby after parking the car and we took off for the Magic Kingdom via it’s walkway to the Contemporary. How convenient!

P9280430copy.jpg

Space Mountain from the MK walkway:

P9280431copy.jpg

We almost always spend our last morning in the Magic Kingdom. It just seems like the right place to end our trips. This morning we took off towards Tomorrowland and hit up the Astro-Orbiter, Space Mountain and the TTA before heading to Fantasyland.

P9280446copy.jpg

We stopped by Ariel’s Grotto, as it was time for her to start meet and greets and we had actually never been back there to meet her. She was beautiful and the character attendant with her really enhanced the experience, as she talked with everyone about Ariel’s whose-its, whats-its, dinglehoppers, and such!

P9280455.jpg

After meeting Ariel we headed off towards Toontown to see if there were any random characters hanging out at the teardrop. On the way we spied Tigger and Pooh heading across the park, so we quickly walked over to their meet and greet area. It was great because we had absolutely no line, and as we were walking away it was already twenty people deep. I was excited because I’d been needing a picture of them out in that area for a Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh scrapbook page.

P9280457copy.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Toontown was rather empty considering it had just opened, so we opted to hop on the Barnstormer for a quick ride. As the propeller plane was heading back into the station we noticed the Dream Squad hanging out in the exit queue. Yay… YOAMD Dream Ears! During our last trip (May 2008) we received 3 dreams on our last day (Ears, Dream FP’s, and attendance to a Special Dream Event) and I must admit it wasn’t nearly as exciting getting ears the second time around. Don’t get me wrong, I loved it and I’m thankful; however, it just didn’t feel as shocking and magical this time.

P9280461.jpg

P9280462copy.jpg

When we left Toontown we headed to Liberty Square to ride the Haunted Mansion. It was a great ride, as always. On to Adventureland for my second and final dole whip of the trip! This time Rafiki was just wandering around, getting no attention. He saw me and headed full force in my direction, so I of course passed my dole whip off to Brett knowing that I couldn’t be near the characters with food. As soon as he saw the hand off, he immediately decided Brett was more desirable than I and took off for him. Hmmm… Rafiki must like the dole whip! He was getting so close to it that the CM with him kept warning him that he was too close and was going to get ice cream in his beard. He didn’t seem to care. It was a great character moment.

Rafiki chasing down my dole whip:

P9280478.jpg

P9280481.jpg

Unfortunately, it was time to get back to Main Street. And you know what that means… we were only one step away from leaving the park. I love Main Street, but it always holds that bit of sadness on the last day when we know we have to leave it behind, unlike other areas of the park where you can kind of forget what lies ahead. We stopped in the Confectionary, as per usual, to pick up some of Minnie’s Bakeshop cookies for Brett and tins of mints for me to hold us over until our next visit.

We headed over to the Polynesian to get some lunch at Kona Café before leaving. And while we were waiting for our time to be seated I splurged and bought the hoodie I’d been eyeing at the Boutiki earlier in the week!

P9280490.jpg

Hide & Seek Tikis behind the register:

P9280493.jpg

The Kona Café might just be our most frequented restaurant on property. Probably because we eat both breakfast and lunch there quite often and every once in a while we’ll have dinner there to. We’ve actually had a waitress remember us before, which is crazy because we’re only at the World 3-4 times a year! I think it’s such a great restaurant and offers a nice bit of variety. It is one of those places where I will always order something different than the time before.

Waiting in the lobby area for lunch:

P9280495.jpg

After lunch we begrudgingly took our last monorail ride back to the Contemporary to get the car. It was a great trip, even if a very short one and we enjoyed every minute of it. Though we were sad to leave, December 14th isn’t too far away so this departure wasn’t as difficult as some others have been!

Our last view of the Contemporary (I was never aware of the structure being off kilter until we took this picture… crazy):

P9270302.jpg

Reflections:

Staying at the Contemporary was certainly a wonderful experience and I’m thankful for having the opportunity. It has certainly made my wish list for future stays and I can’t wait to return. I really didn’t think I would feel this way, but the property has definitely won me over. I loved everything about it, especially the room décor and convenience factor.

This year’s food and wine festival didn’t deliver in a way that past festivals have done. I don’t really know what it was, maybe the lack in red wine tastings this weekend or the so-so setup. Of the last three years, 2007 holds the title for my best F&W experience as of yet. However, I did really enjoy the opportunity to experience the Bocuse d’Or competition and my first go-round with the Sam Adams seminar was a blast and something that has definitely made the hit list for future F&W trips.

Toy Story Midway Mania lived up to its hype, in my honest opinion. I could hang out with the toys for hours. There’s not much to say about it, other than it more than meets expectations. And I think Pixar Place is a refreshing and welcomed new area of the Studios. Now if only those crowds would dissipate some!

Never again will I leave out significant time in a park if I can help it. It was a short trip and we knew we’d need to allow for a lot of F&W time so we didn’t plan any real AK time. We thought we’d be spending much more time there after the Expedition Everest Challenge than we actually did. This is the first time we’ve somewhat skipped a park and it does feel like something was missing from our trip. We’ll be sure to make it up in December.

My first experience with the Disney Endurance Series has left me wanting more and more. I loved the Expedition Everest Challenge and the thrill of running through the park; it has helped energize and excite me for the marathon to come in January. Bring on that Mickey Finisher Medal!

Writing my first trip report has also been a blast. I love to write, but didn’t realize how much I would enjoy this process. It’s been so much fun and I want to thank everyone for reading! I apologize for the length… I had no clue I’d be this long-winded, but I just couldn’t see leaving any of it out.

Countdown to Christmas 2009: December 14-19 at Old Key West! Woo Woo!!!

Brett

What an excellent trip report! In fact, I agree with most everything you wrote about! I also agree with some comments that you and Brett make a great couple. Woo Woo!

MKCP 1985

Great report - I enjoyed it all, but especially the Everest Challenge review. I was there for that as well and recognized some of the other runners from your photos. :D

I thought the Everest Challenge was a whole lot of fun and will probably do it again next year. There were different clue books, and mine was the same as yours. That Blue Bell was a real stumper! :lol:

Brett

Only most everything? :eek::lol:

It's my job to pick on Holly a little. :lol:

But seriously, the Contemporary was fantastic. It was even better than I had imagined. It was so much fun to leave the room, look down, and see Pluto dancing around at Chef Mickey's. It just puts you in fun Disney mood.

abbeysmom

I think a Disney wedding is in order....... :p:D:sohappy: Or at least a Disney proposal....

Great report and you two DO make a very nice couple.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
That was a great trip report Holly!! I loved reading it!!

Thanks Tammy!

Great report - I enjoyed it all, but especially the Everest Challenge review. I was there for that as well and recognized some of the other runners from your photos. :D

I thought the Everest Challenge was a whole lot of fun and will probably do it again next year. There were different clue books, and mine was the same as yours. That Blue Bell was a real stumper! :lol:

Thanks MKCP 1985! I loved the Everest Challenge, too. And hope to do one of the races next fall, not sure which one yet. I don't believe I'll ever understand the "blue bell" question :shrug:! It truly made no sense to me. Oh well, I'm still curious to know what some of the other clues were.

I think a Disney wedding is in order....... :p:D:sohappy: Or at least a Disney proposal....

Great report and you two DO make a very nice couple.

I like the way you think abbeysmom!! And thank you.

Really great trip report! I enjoyed following every word!:sohappy:

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

abbeysmom

Loved it, loved it!!!

I was hesitant to mention the marriage/proposal thing but figured.... why not!!! Hope things work out for you 2. Keep us posted.... We all love a good romance at Disney. :)

HollyBelle

Original Poster
A proposal at Disney is pretty much a given, he'll even admit to that. Now as to where or when... that'll be a surprise, one I'm very much looking forward to :sohappy: !

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Thanks much for sharing your great trip report! Appreciate how much time it takes to upload all those pictures, and an epic narrative as well.

Look forward to hearing about your future trips (and possible events)
Still planning on the marathon for 09?....not even easing into things with a half-marathon? More power to ya!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Super report. One of the best that I've read. As reading, I even felt sad on your last day.

Did y'all visit the wedding pavillion?

Thank you for such a kind compliment. We haven't visited the wedding pavilion and we probably won't get married at WDW. If we did, it would probably be one of those "intimate" deals they do, considering neither one of us wants a big shebang. Most likely small, with just family!

But I'm getting ahead of myself... it's still going to be awhile!

Thanks much for sharing your great trip report! Appreciate how much time it takes to upload all those pictures, and an epic narrative as well.

Look forward to hearing about your future trips (and possible events)
Still planning on the marathon for 09?....not even easing into things with a half-marathon? More power to ya!

Thanks ClemsonTigger (love that name by the way)! I guess the narrative didn't seem like too much of a feat... considering I worked on it in chunks for over a month :dazzle:! I guess that's more time I could have spent running.

We did initially plan to do the half but when we went to register back in April it was already closed... so I spoke with my cousin, who is a two time IronMan triathlon finisher and she put together a training plan for us for the marathon. We're taking a giant leap, but I'm really looking forward to it!

Gosh.......... sounds like we are in for something special!!! Keep us in the loop!! :sohappy:

Well, hopefully it will be a part of a future trip report... one in the distant future... we've got some ducks to get in a row first!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom