Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

wtyy21

One thing I know is that long after this version is out of theaters, the original Snow White will still be the most important movie in the company's history and a continued part of their merchandising and theme park image.
Also, the original Snow White has marking significant turning point for Walt Disney Studios, The Walt Disney Company, and the Animation industry in general, giving the fact that prior to Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, the Animation is basically just short film, and Disney in general were just small independent short film studios that making just Mickey mouse and silly symphonies.

Snow White's legacy had shaping the modern Disney company as we known today. If not the original Snow White, Disney were not same.

Screamface

You're right. I shouldn't encourage more nastiness in the world when it seems that's all we have lately. But her absolute hatred for such a remarkable and groundbreaking film just really infuriates me.

What annoys me is the kind of attitude she's displaying. I don't think it's hate. I think it's cluelessness, it's smugness and it's part of this current-day attitude of just thinking you're a better person. Doing better stuff in the world and that everyone and everything that came before was doing bad.

Tha Realest

What annoys me is the kind of attitude she's displaying. I don't think it's hate. I think it's cluelessness, it's smugness and it's part of this current-day attitude of just thinking you're a better person. Doing better stuff in the world and that everyone and everything that came before was doing bad.
It’s also unearned. Her entire filmography thus far consists of a remake (WSS), a sequel (Shazam), a prequel (Hunger Games), and another remake (Snow White). Her released films are 0-2 thus far compared to those that preceded them. We’ll see how the next two stack up, but not optimistic.

Ghost93

I actually thought the West Side Story remake was a little bit better than the original, mostly because I preferred Zegler's performance to Natalie Wood's.

I just think for marketing purposes, Zegler needs to be coached on how to show that she respects/likes the original Snow White while also discussing how the new version is more empowering. The problem with many of her comments is that it seems like she doesn't actually like the original Snow White. Halle Bailey was able to express her love for the OG Ariel while also talking about how her remake would further emphasize her adventurous spirit and other interests beyond Eric.

I wouldn't hold her comments about the original movie being too scary against her though. Snow White scared me as a child. I would always hide behind the couch during the scene where the Evil Queen transformed into a scary hag.

LittleBuford

I just think for marketing purposes, Zegler needs to be coached on how to show that she respects/likes the original Snow White while also discussing how the new version is more empowering. The problem with many of her comments is that it seems like she doesn't actually like the original Snow White.
Why is that a problem, though? If she truly doesn’t like the original character, why should she be coached to say otherwise?

Tha Realest

Why is that a problem, though? If she truly doesn’t like the original character, why should she be coached to say otherwise?
I know a way I appreciate her candor. I think it’s a bit out of place but give her credit if those are her honest views. But honesty and developing positive WOM for an upcoming project aren’t necessarily congruent.

That also begs the question why she signed on to portray this character she doesn’t like - unless her general feelings towards that iteration of the character are reflected in this production

Disstevefan1

EatingPopcorn.gif

LittleBuford

That also begs the question why she signed on to portray this character she doesn’t like - unless her general feelings towards that iteration of the character are reflected in this production
Whether Zegler had agreed to take on the role or not, the new iteration of the character was always going to be very different from the original character, who seems old-fashioned even by the standards of the other classic Disney princesses (her immediate successor, Cinderella, has much more gumption).

LittleBuford

Because it will deter many fans of the original movie from seeing a remake. I'm walking from a pure business/PR perspective, I'm not personally offended by anything Zegler has said.
I find it very unlikely that actors’ interviews have a significant effect one way or the other on attendance.

Tha Realest

I realise social media amplifies what actors say, but I’m not convinced that enough people are listening (or care) to shift viewing numbers to any appreciable degree. If Snow White is going to do badly, it won’t be because Rachel Zegler said she didn’t like the original version.
The statements were made at an official D23 event. If it’s a nonissue why does Disney and other studios insist on their stars being available for these promotional things?

LittleBuford

The statements were made at an official D23 event. If it’s a nonissue why does Disney and other studios insist on their stars being available for these promotional things?
I understand that actors are enlisted and encouraged to add to the general buzz surrounding the films they star in, and I don’t doubt that such promotion helps in a broad sense to secure public interest in those films. At the same time, I am sceptical of the idea that cinema-goers are so attentive to actors’ individual sentiments that they base their viewing choices on them. This is just my own sense of things, which could be entirely mistaken. Either way, I’d rather Zegler spoke honestly than regurgitate Disney’s PR verbiage.

Tha Realest

I understand that actors are enlisted and encouraged to add to the general buzz surrounding the films they star in, and I don’t doubt that such promotion helps in a broad sense to secure public interest in those films. At the same time, I am sceptical of the idea that cinema-goers are so attentive to actors’ individual sentiments that they base their viewing choices on them. This is just my own sense of things, which could be entirely mistaken. Either way, I’d rather Zegler spoke honestly than regurgitate Disney’s PR verbiage.
It’s being amplified by certain media orgs that are framing the film as “woke” before an official trailer or production still has been released. It’s an unforced error. Whether it will be remembered 9 months from now is anyone’s guess, but the media availability of the stars is a major component of the marketing efforts

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
This coupled with that “leaked” image of the dwarfs is setting up a PR disaster for a film that doesn’t come out for another ~10 months.
I believe Jason Acuna came out and said something about the removal of the dwarfs. Apparently, he wasn't thrilled as he sees it as taking away jobs from little people...

LittleBuford

It’s being amplified by certain media orgs that are framing the film as “woke” before an official trailer or production still has been released. It’s an unforced error. Whether it will be remembered 9 months from now is anyone’s guess, but the media availability of the stars is a major component of the marketing efforts
Those same outlets branded Barbie woke and audiences didn’t care. Now, do I think Snow White is going to do particularly well? Probably not, and I’m sure Zegler’s interviews will be cited as one of the reasons for its poor performance. But it’s not like the success or failure of Disney’s other recent releases correlates with what the actors who’ve starred in them have publicly said about their roles.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom