Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

erasure fan1

I realise social media amplifies what actors say, but I’m not convinced that enough people are listening (or care) to shift viewing numbers to any appreciable degree. If Snow White is going to do badly, it won’t be because Rachel Zegler said she didn’t like the original version.
The film will obviously live or die by the quality of the product in the end. What I see, is when the stars say dumb stuff, and make people mad, it just gives the film a bit of an uphill battle at the start. If the film is awesome, the comments just kind of fade away. If the movie is questionable, people seem to be a lot less likely to take a flyer on it because of the "bad things" that they're hearing. So her comments are hardly the thing that will doom the film. The leaked image on the other hand, that might have done it. Lol

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
It’s being amplified by certain media orgs that are framing the film as “woke” before an official trailer or production still has been released. It’s an unforced error. Whether it will be remembered 9 months from now is anyone’s guess, but the media availability of the stars is a major component of the marketing efforts

As is the dissemination of audience reactions to test screenings to decide which filmed sequences make it to the final release. Such as which "evil queen's" demise is chosen as "boulder falling on her after her fall from a cliff" or "is mummified by a staff weapon crafted by the seven magical creatures (dwarf replacements) in a cave". It's still a collection of filmed sequences at this point that have to be put together (if that's even possible) and subsequent reshoots if they need "glue" segments to generate a more cohesive product.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
All the undue hate that was thrown towards The Little Mermaid should have been saved for this disaster of a film. Compare how Halle Bailey talked about her love for the original film and how truly honored she was to be chosen to play Ariel to Rachel who has done nothing but trash the source material and show nothing but disdain like an ungrateful brat.
I have infinite capacity for hate.

Vegas Disney Fan

Why is that a problem, though? If she truly doesn’t like the original character, why should she be coached to say otherwise?

Because she should be trying to convince fans of Disney to hand over their money to see the new movie… not throwing fuel on the already burning fire.

This movie is fighting a huge uphill battle against bad PR, instead of adding to the negativity she should be trying to promote the movie, not alienating more people.

If someone was a fan of the original and on the fence about whether to see this or not she likely just pushed them into the no category.

LittleBuford

Because she should be trying to convince fans of Disney to hand over their money to see the new movie… not throwing fuel on the already burning fire.
I personally am not in favour of pushing actors to say things they don't believe. Does that mean I share her views? Not at all. But she's free to speak her mind and face any criticisms that may arise from her words.

If someone was a fan of the original and on the fence about whether to see this or not she likely just pushed them into the no category.
Why? I ask that sincerely. Have you ever decided not to see a film because of something one of the actors in it said?

Vegas Disney Fan

I personally am not in favour of pushing actors to say things they don't believe. Does that mean I share her views? Not at all. But she's free to speak her mind and face any criticisms that may arise from her words.

Why? I ask that sincerely. Have you ever decided not to see a film because of something one of the actors in it said?

There’s a difference between saying something you don’t believe and keeping quiet though. My coworkers and I frequently talk about what we don’t like about our jobs but we don’t talk to guests or the press about it, that’s just common sense.

I’ve avoided a lot of movies because I don’t like the actors in them, I know that goes beyond a single statement but they are interconnected. The image of a public figure (whether singer, athlete, or actor) can have a massive influence on the box office.

Basil of Baker Street

I don't know if it counts but I'll never watch another Will Smith film after what he did to Chris Rock.

LittleBuford

There’s a difference between saying something you don’t believe and keeping quiet though. My coworkers and I frequently talk about what we don’t like about our jobs but we don’t talk to guests or the press about it, that’s just common sense.

I’ve avoided a lot of movies because I don’t like the actors in them, I know that goes beyond a single statement but they are interconnected. The image of a public figure (whether singer, athlete, or actor) can have a massive influence on the box office.
Fair enough. I suppose it’s difficult for me to view her words as that consequential when, as I noted earlier, the box-office performance of other Disney films doesn’t seem to have been affected one way or the other by the interviews given by their respective actors.

In any case, we’ll know soon enough whether the film can rise above its very inauspicious PR start (I’m referring to the leaked pictures, which, unlike Zegler’s words, I do think have damaged its chances).

Magenta Panther

Well, the idiot who for some reason got the role of Snow White is saying stupid things again - calling the Prince a "stalker", among other dumb comments.

And "Disney" is defending the changes made in this unwanted, unnecessary live-action version by saying it was doing so because it's trying to not "reinforce stereotypes" - in reference especially to the dwarfs.

News flash to anyone from "Disney" who reads the posts here: in the Snow White story and film, and in Tolkein's LOTR and C.S. Lewis' Narnia stories - THE DWARFS ARE NOT HUMAN. They are a separate race, like elves, fairies, trolls etc. They are not Little People. Saying the the Dwarfs in Walt's Snow White movie are stereotypes is therefore utter nonsense.

In regards to the PR statement - it's astonishing that "Disney" hires such ignorant people to speak for it. They're wrong at the very least. And at the very worst, they're denigrating the company's legacy - the very product that built the company and engendered people's love for it.

The current "Disney" corporate strategy isn't reinventing the company for a new age. It's more like assisted corporate suicide!

LittleBuford

The idea isn't to push actors into saying things they don't believe. The idea is to not hire those actors in the first place. Don't hire people with contempt for the source material.
I'm a Pixie Duster who adores all the classic animated films. My flat is like a shrine to Disney, with Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs prominently represented in my collection. Yet I find it very difficult to get particularly worked up over the comments of a 22-year-old actress. And even if she truly does hate the original film and isn't just speaking in that unnuanced way that people her age often do, I still find it difficult to care. Her job is to act, and provided she does that well, I'm not especially interested in what she has to say when speaking as herself.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

I wonder if TWDC (through the people who work for them) is intentionally trolling the public?

When their actors say these silly things it immediately gets around all the social medias, YouTube and even some main stream media.

This gains notice to whatever they are trying to promote (as in any press is good press).

Lets face it, if the actors said the usual normal things, its expected and boring and folks would barely take notice.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I'm a Pixie Duster who adores all the classic animated films. My flat is like a shrine to Disney, with Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs prominently represented in my collection. Yet I find it very difficult to get particularly worked up over the comments of a a 22-year-old actress. And even if she truly does hate the original film and isn't just speaking in that unnuanced way that people her age often do, I still find it difficult to care. Her job is to act, and provided she does that well, I'm not especially interested in what she has to say when speaking as herself.
You're describing a symptom, not the disease itself.

I don't care what Rachel Zegler says or thinks, HOWEVER:

I do care if the movie sucks, and the way Rachel Zegler is describing the creative process behind this movie is evidence that it will suck.

Willmark

Fair enough. I suppose it’s difficult for me to view her words as that consequential when, as I noted earlier, the box-office performance of other Disney films doesn’t seem to have been affected one way or the other by the interviews given by their respective actors.

In any case, we’ll know soon enough whether the film can rise above its very inauspicious PR start (I’m referring to the leaked pictures, which, unlike Zegler’s words, I do think have damaged its chances).
When the metaphorical boat is already taking on water. The first thing a person might want to do is… you know, not add more water to it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom