Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

TP2000

Yes, but she references it directly when saying how this version is going to be different AKA better.

She's a total mess right now, the poor dear. For someone so young who is still crafting their "brand" and establishing their career, this is not a good look for her. It's not professional, and it just makes you look... messy.

She does need media training, but she may have learned the talking points about the new version directly from studio leadership.

Disney likes the cash. The company also views Mr. Bailey’s remake operation as crucial to remaining relevant. Disney’s animated classics are treasured by fans, but most showcase ideas from another era, especially when it comes to gender roles: Be pretty, girls, and things might work out.
The reimaginings, as Mr. Bailey refers to his remakes, find ways to make Disney stories less retrograde.

Interesting article. Miss Zegler is probably stuck inside the same feedback loop they are, and she's at least getting her talking points from that mindset.

But agree on the desperate need to get Miss Zegler some media training ASAP. Until then, her agent and her mom both need to tell her to zip her lip for now. Because what's she's been doing thus far isn't helping.

Ghost93

She does need media training, but she may have learned the talking points about the new version directly from studio leadership.
I think Halle Bailey struck the right balance between appreciating the original animated version of Ariel while also highlighting how the new version of Ariel would be more empowering and progressive. The problem with Zegler's comments — from a PR perspective — is that they could easily be misconstrued to seem like Zegler hates or has a general disdain for the original version of Snow White.

For the publicity of the remake to go better (it may be too late), she needs to be coached on how to emphasize that her version of Snow White is more modern and progressive while simultaneously showing affection for the original animated classic that started it all. If she seems to dislike the animated version, fans of the animated version won't show up for the remake.

I personally think Zegler is great casting as Snow White and I look forward to seeing her interpretation, but I can easily see her comments being taken the wrong way by large segments of the Internet. Some will act in bad faith no matter what, but it's best to try to mitigate the situation before it gets too out of hand.

GimpYancIent

I think Halle Bailey struck the right balance between appreciating the original animated version of Ariel while also highlighting how the new version of Ariel would be more empowering and progressive. The problem with Zegler's comments — from a PR perspective — is that they could easily be misconstrued to seem like Zegler hates or has a general disdain for the original version of Snow White.

For the publicity of the remake to go better (it may be too late), she needs to be coached on how to emphasize that her version of Snow White is more modern and progressive while simultaneously showing affection for the original animated classic that started it all. If she seems to dislike the animated version, fans of the animated version won't show up for the remake.

I personally think Zegler is great casting as Snow White and I look forward to seeing her interpretation, but I can easily see her comments being taken the wrong way by large segments of the Internet. Some will act in bad faith no matter what, but it's best to try to mitigate the situation before it gets too out of hand.
Keep in mind words are like bullets, once they are sent downrange, they cannot be called back.

LittleBuford

I think people are making way too much of this. Actors often say things in interviews that go against the studio’s official messaging. Yes, a few commentators are going to pounce on her words and turn them into a big deal, but the vast majority of people won’t know, let alone care, about this supposed controversy.

CaptainMickey

If it's all different then why call it Snow White? If they do go that way, and people go expecting to see SWAT7D and get something totally unexpected, will the paying public be happy? This will all end in tears . . .
So they got rid of the "Snow White" girl and they got rid of "the 7 Dwarfs"...
The only thing they kept from the original movie was the word "and" 🤣

Very Disney 2023...

I'm sure it will be a big hit... unless they mess up the marketing

The writers strike may actually save Disney millions if some of these bad ideas get canceled.

Last edited by a moderator:

GimpYancIent

Yes but what if they give it the Maleficent treatment and tell it from the point-of-view of the Evil Queen....

Now that would be an interesting tale in my opinion....
Yes, it would be interesting, but, since Maleficent already covered that ground the concept won't be edgy, interesting but not new or fresh.

Animaniac93-98

Disney likes the cash. The company also views Mr. Bailey’s remake operation as crucial to remaining relevant. Disney’s animated classics are treasured by fans, but most showcase ideas from another era, especially when it comes to gender roles: Be pretty, girls, and things might work out.
The reimaginings, as Mr. Bailey refers to his remakes, find ways to make Disney stories less retrograde.

If this is true, than why does the Disney Princess merch line (which makes far more money than these live action remakes) stay based on the animated originals and feature products traditionally aimed at young girls (dolls, dresses, lots of pink etc)?

Again, Disney seems to want it both ways. Book your $200+ package at BBB, but it's OK because she'll be a girl boss!

Chi84

Premium Member
If this is true, than why does the Disney Princess merch line (which makes far more money than these live action remakes) stay based on the animated originals and feature products traditionally aimed at young girls (dolls, dresses, lots of pink etc)?

Again, Disney seems to want it both ways. Book your $200+ package at BBB, but it's OK because she'll be a girl boss!
I think it’s based on age. No one wants an 8 year old girl boss.

MagicHappens1971

The “Princess” brand is just that a “brand”, just a piece of Disneys playbook.

They want to “have their cake and eat it too”.

They want to capitalize on the nostalgia and the wholesomeness of the “Princess” brand, while simultaneously damaging it, especially with Rachel Ziegler’s comments on Snow White.

These live action remakes HAVE to stop, and I say this as someone who enjoyed Little Mermaid & Beauty and the Beast (remakes).

If they want to build upon an existing character/brand in the live action than they should take the Malefiecent/Cruella approach.

Animaniac93-98

One thing I know is that long after this version is out of theaters, the original Snow White will still be the most important movie in the company's history and a continued part of their merchandising and theme park image.

As has been the case with all these other remakes.

The movies that actually expand their audience and reshape their image are movies like Coco and Encanto which are timeless in their own right and have the same core appeals of the older animated classics.

Screamface

Yes, and so is the Huntsman.

Snow White and the Evil Queen unite at the end, realizing the true enemy they were both facing was societal expectations of beauty and the male gaze.

How will they deal with the mirror and "fairest of them all?"

My interpretation of the current pretend thinking driving Hollywood is against the idea of a beauty standard. So will they scrap this angle? Or will they have a montage of various looks, body sizes scrolling through for beauty and for some reason, the Evil Queen focuses on Snow White? Also Evil Queen? Maybe she'll be misunderstood and a man did her wrong which is why she's so bitter, but it's justified.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
All the undue hate that was thrown towards The Little Mermaid should have been saved for this disaster of a film. Compare how Halle Bailey talked about her love for the original film and how truly honored she was to be chosen to play Ariel to Rachel who has done nothing but trash the source material and show nothing but disdain like an ungrateful brat.

Vegas Disney Fan

One thing I know is that long after this version is out of theaters, the original Snow White will still be the most important movie in the company's history and a continued part of their merchandising and theme park image.

As has been the case with all these other remakes.

The movies that actually expand their audience and reshape their image are movies like Coco and Encanto which are timeless in their own right and have the same core appeals of the older animated classics.
I have a similar take, these remakes are just the modern version of “direct to dvd”. They are a quick money grab and a few will even find a following but in 20 years most will be forgotten by most.

The new stories, even those that aren’t box office hits, will survive long after the remakes are just distant memories.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom