Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

MoonRakerSCM

Keep in mind, Marvel has publicly stated countless times their goal is to change characters and diversify their product (thus not focusing on story/quality of product). The reason they made The Eternals was solely so Fiege could diversy the characters, NOT because he wanted to tell a great story.

They're not saying the original was 'evil' but they're implying it is wrong because they start with changing it.

Ghost93

Keep in mind, Marvel has publicly stated countless times their goal is to change characters and diversify their product (thus not focusing on story/quality of product). The reason they made The Eternals was solely so Fiege could diversy the characters, NOT because he wanted to tell a great story.

They're not saying the original was 'evil' but they're implying it is wrong because they start with changing it.
Eternals characters were race/gender-swapped to increase diversity (Not that anyone should care as no one has read the Eternals comics), but that is not the reason why the movie was made.

I suspect Feige greenlit the Eternals to A. Expand the cosmic side of the MCU and set up major events involving the celestials and B. Beat DC to the punch to Ava Duvernay's New Gods Movie. Eternals was meant to undermine New Gods the same way Captain America: Civil War undermined Batman vs Superman.

Of course, the New Gods movie never materialized due to typical behind-the-scenes DC drama and with the Eternals being a critical and commercial disappointment (despite me personally loving it), it remains unclear whether Feige will alter his plans for the Cosmic side of the MCU.

MoonRakerSCM

I'll have to dig around, not like there's 40 million articles on the topic of 'eternals' and 'diversity' but I recall interview quotes from fiege that the reason they chose to do Eternals was because it was a story in the MCU they could diversify etc.

LittleBuford

Blackface and "an Italian guy doing a Colombian accent" are not the same thing.
The post I was responding to referred to white people playing "black, Asian, and Hispanic roles". Why frame my response in such misleading terms? When did I say anything remotely resembling the claim that blackface is the same as "an Italian guy doing a Colombian accent"?

CaptainAmerica

We’re talking about a political minority, not a biological one. Under your analysis, since everyone has both a mother and father, discrimination against women has no consequences. Everyone is even.
Discrimination against women has no consequences for women qua women. A woman who has not been discriminated against is not a de facto victim of discrimination just because she's a woman.

Vegas Disney Fan

You're referring to black-, brown-, and yellowface. Not the same thing at all. Bailey and Zegler aren't changing their complexion or pretending to be another ethnicity.
Yes, there are egregious examples like Mickey Rooney but I’m talking about the last decade or so, it was just a few years ago Marvel caught backlash for casting a white woman as the teacher in Dr Strange, Angela Jolie created backlash for being cast as Cleopatra, Prince of Persia cast Gyllendhall (had to look that one up), etc. None of the actors changed(or planned to change) their complexion, they just got cast in a role that was not considered a white role.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Yes, there are egregious examples like Mickey Rooney but I’m talking about the last decade or so
That wasn't clear at all clear given that you referred to white actors in black roles, which, thankfully, isn't really a thing anymore.

it was just a few years ago Marvel caught backlash for casting a white woman as the teacher in Dr Strange, Angela Jolie created backlash for being cast as Cleopatra, Prince of Persia cast Gyllendhall (had to look that one up), etc. None of the actors changed(or planned to change) their complexion, they just played got cast in a role that was not considered a white role.
I know nothing about the teacher character, but the other examples you note remind me of the criticisms that Helen Mirren and Cillian Murphy have received for playing Jewish characters. I myself am not sure how I feel about such cases, since the actors in question are not necessarily "wrong" for the part as far as their appearance goes (Cleopatra was ethnically Greek, and plenty of Persian people are light-skinned).

Vegas Disney Fan

That wasn't clear at all clear given that you referred to white actors in black roles, which, thankfully, isn't really a thing anymore.

I know nothing about the teacher character, but the other examples you note remind me of the criticisms that Helen Mirren and Cillian Murphy have received for playing Jewish characters. I myself am not sure how I feel about such cases, since the actors in question are not necessarily "wrong" for the part as far as their appearance goes (Cleopatra was ethnically Greek, and plenty of Persian people are light-skinned).
I was referring to The Ancient One (had to look that up too).

Another recent example is Disney getting backlash over the actors cast to play Nani and David in the upcoming lilo and stitch, the backlash was because they’re not dark enough, even though they are Hawaiians people didn’t feel they looked right for the parts.

People, regardless of race, have an image of what know characters look like, and deviating from that image isn’t generally popular. I think that’s equally true to everyone, including white people.

There are many examples of characters from different races “owning” a role but they are typically characters that don’t have such an ingrained image. Samual Jackson as Nick Fury being a great example because now I can’t imagine anyone else playing that role.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom