Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

CaptainAmerica

I think it’s because you seem to find everything about Disney bad.

The movie is over a year away. When it comes out Disney will publicize it, release trailers, promote it, etc. People will decide then whether it’s something they want to see. All of this talk now won’t matter.

I don’t see any benefit to Disney addressing every conspiracy theory between now and then, especially since that photo wasn’t an official one. There’s no end to the nonsense people are capable of making up.
While Disney didn't publish the magical bandits photograph, they did confirm its authenticity. They also INTENTIONALLY published this latest photo with the CGI/AI dwarfs. It's literally a promotional photograph, which is exactly the sort of thing that you're telling us that we're supposed to wait for. Those aren't conspiracy theories, they're straight from the Mouse's lips.

EDIT: Also, their star's controversial comments were literally on the blue carpet at D23, the official Disney fan event, with a friendly media.

You: Wait for Disney to start promoting the film, otherwise you're engaging in conspiracy theories.

Me: You mean like this promotional photograph and the promotional interviews the stars were giving at the promotional media event?

You: Wait no not like that.

Chi84

Premium Member
While Disney didn't intentionally publish the magical bandits photograph, they did confirm its authenticity. They also INTENTIONALLY published this latest photo with the CGI/AI dwarfs. It's literally a promotional photograph, which is exactly the sort of thing that you're telling us that we're supposed to wait for. Those aren't conspiracy theories, they're straight from the Mouse's lips.
My main point is that none of this will matter over a year from now. These boards give people a skewed perspective of how many people actually care at this point.

Edit: There will be entirely new promotional events which will make these current photos and statements irrelevant.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

I think it’s because you seem to find everything about Disney bad.
It may seem that way but its not the reality

I am a charter member of D+ My family of three had Premium annual passes for over a decade up until 2020. I am a huge fan of WDW and there are things I like about the changes made in the parks, and there are things I do not like about the changes (just like everyone else). We hope to be annual pass holders again.

I don't want to think how much Disney stuff my family has purchased over the decades. As I write this, I am looking over at my EPCOT celebrating 15 years lithograph.

As for the movies, I loved Elemental. I actually liked Lightyear the way they used time travel and the evolution of Buzz. My only gripe was this movie should have not been associated with Andy. I was fine with all the characters in Strange World and the plot was OK I just didn't like the climate crisis messaging that all must live in the dark to save the planet, but I digress.

I am a fan of Disney watching from the sidelines, and yes I complain when I see things that look like mistakes, just like any fan of anything.

In my opinion, as a fan, this whole SW thing (now SW2025 and counting) is a mess.

As a fan, in my opinion, we KNOW Disney had TONS and TONS of NEW story ideas they never did anything with over the 100 years. Create NEW stories. There is no need to remake the existing stuff.

I am rooting for Wish to not only be a "successful" movie, but also to bring in enough money to at least break even.

This is another issue as they are simply spending too much money to make and market the movies they are releasing lately.

CaptainAmerica

My main point is that none of this will matter over a year from now. These boards give people a skewed perspective of how many people actually care at this point.
There are two different issues.

Issue 1: How much people care about the Dwarf casting decision.

Issue 2: How much the Dwarf casting decision contributes to ballooning production costs and deteriorating quality, which audiences absolutely do care about.

This is something that *both sides* of the culture war constantly miss. One side says "audiences don't want progressive content and that's why these things fail" and the other side says "some of this content sucks and that's why it fails." In reality, both are partly true and neither is fully true. The content fails because the content sucks, but the content sucks because the people making it are obsessed with and distracted by these other issues.

Chi84

Premium Member
There are two different issues.

Issue 1: How much people care about the Dwarf casting decision.

Issue 2: How much the Dwarf casting decision contributes to ballooning production costs and deteriorating quality, which audiences absolutely do care about.

This is something that *both sides* of the culture war constantly miss. One side says "audiences don't want progressive content and that's why these things fail" and the other side says "some of this content sucks and that's why it fails." In reality, both are partly true and neither is fully true. The content fails because the content sucks, but the content sucks because the people making it are obsessed with and distracted by these other issues.
Honestly, as far as Snow White is concerned, I'm excited to see a movie with accomplished actors and what I'm betting is a solid screenplay.

The so-called culture war is one of the saddest things I've seen in my lifetime. The grievances on both sides are largely made up or wildly exaggerated and no one is winning anything.

CaptainAmerica

Honestly, as far as Snow White is concerned, I'm excited to see a movie with accomplished actors and what I'm betting is a solid screenplay.
Why would you bet that? What has Disney produced recently that would give you confidence in this being a solid screenplay?

The so-called culture war is one of the saddest things I've seen in my lifetime. The grievances on both sides are largely made up or wildly exaggerated and no one is winning anything.
Exactly. But you're acting like Disney is an innocent victim in the poo-slinging. They're not bystanders in the culture war, they're active participants.

_caleb

It may seem that way but its not the reality
I mean you can see how it might come across as true, right?
As a fan, in my opinion, we KNOW Disney had TONS and TONS of NEW story ideas they never did anything with over the 100 years. Create NEW stories. There is no need to remake the existing stuff.
They ARE making new stories (Onward, Luca, Strange World, Wish, Elemental). They’re also sitting on established billion-dollar IP that still has strong demand, with plenty more mileage (Star Wars, Marvel, Frozen, Princess and the Frog, Little Mermaid, even Toy Story).
This is another issue as they are simply spending too much money to make and market the movies they are releasing lately.
And why do you think that is? Why is Disney spending too much money?

_caleb

My perspective on The Walt Disney Company's position in the culture wars comes from The Walt Disney Company Human Resources. My views are not tainted by Twitter or YouTube or bloggers or podcasts. I assure you, I have a front-row seat.
The information you have might come from TWDC HR department, but your perspective is shaped by much more than that. Even if you don’t follow Twitter or YouTube or bloggers or podcasts, you have philosophical lens through which you see the world. We all do. The same information can be received and understood in very different ways by people who don’t see the world the way you do.

Disstevefan1

Why is Disney spending too much money?
That's a great question and they need to figure out why their cost are so high to make and market their films!

I can provide the data if you like, but in the last 9 movies they lost about 900 million in total.

Guardians being the exception if I remember correctly.

Look it may be in their business plan to expect no ROI on their movies and if they are fine with that I guess that's OK.

_caleb

There’s a reason Universal has escaped the Florida political battles unscathed and does not have any negative perceptions nor baggage about their films (live action and animated) before they are released.

It’s not by accident.
Universal doesn’t have any negative perceptions nor baggage about their films?

_caleb

That's a great question and they need to figure out why their cost are so high to make and market their films!

I can provide the data if you like, but in the last 9 movies they lost about 900 million in total.

Guardians being the exception if I remember correctly.

Look it may be in their business plan to expect no ROI on their movies and if they are fine with that I guess that's OK.
My question wasn’t “how much is Disney spending?” or “how much is Disney losing?” but rather why is Disney spending so much money on its films?

Disstevefan1

My question wasn’t “how much is Disney spending?” or “how much is Disney losing?” but rather why is Disney spending so much money on its films?
I do not know why Disney is spending so much money on their films. My guess is there is no one looking at the costs , they are just working to get the movies done at any cost, there is no real budget.

Its strange. Whenever I watch a documentaries about legendary films, the costs are always mentioned and the things they did to stay within budget, and some scenes in movies I had thought was intentional (and was really great) was made that way DUE TO budget restrictions.

It seems to me Disney has no budget restrictions. A good thing for the creative folks I guess.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I do not know why Disney is spending so much money on their films. My guess is there is no one looking at the costs , they are just working to get the movies done at any cost, there is no real budget.

Its strange. Whenever I watch a documentaries about legendary films, the costs are always mentioned and the things they did to stay within budget, and some scenes in movies I had thought was intentional (and was really great) was made that way DUE TO budget restrictions.

It seems to me Disney has no budget restrictions. A good thing for the creative folks I guess.
When it comes to animation, didn't they say keeping everything in house and US-based costs more than having it done overseas, which is apparently what other companies do? Not making excuses or anything, I just remember this coming up...

Prince-1

Almost no one cares or has a clue about how much was spent to make a movie. But yes, if someone spends money to take their family out to see a movie and it is trash then they will care about that but no one has a clue at this point whether Snow White is going to fall in that category.

Disney Analyst

When it comes to animation, didn't they say keeping everything in house and US-based costs more than having it done overseas, which is apparently what other companies do? Not making excuses or anything, I just remember this coming up...

Yes absolutely. This is why you have seen announcements from several companies as of late shuttering / culling their in-house animation studios, in favour of offshoring it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom