Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

LittleBuford

Yeah not you... :)

As long as the final result is a good movie, I don't really care how many times they tweak and change it.
It’s actually put me off the film quite a bit. If you’re doing something you believe in, you stand by it and (try to) prove your detractors wrong. This feels like a cheap, frankly cowardly bit of appeasement to me, and I’m much less interested in what the remake might bring than I was before they released the new picture, which, to my eyes at least, just looks like a bad CGI version of the original’s artwork.

TP2000

And for what it's worth, I've recently seen the nearly 100-year old movie and I can vouch for the fact that it's "dated." There really is no way to make a live-action version of that movie, which is probably why Disney may be making significant changes.

If that's the case, and Walt's source material that built his company and was officially celebrated as recently as a decade ago (Carthay Circle Restaurant at DCA) in fact is really so miserably bad, then why even bother with a remake? Why not just cancel it and send it into a memory hole like Song Of The South and Splash Mountain?

The Snow White rides in the parks are minor C Tickets, with the lone exception of the D Ticket in WDW in a park that is already pitifully starved for rides. So if the source material, Walt Disney's 1937 Snow White & The Seven Dwarves, is so hopelessly dated and so offensive that it requires Trigger Warnings before being screened on college campuses, why even redo it? Why are the dark rides still in operation? Why does Carthay Circle Restaurant still have 1937 ephemera and awards and photos on display?

If the 1937 movie is really that awful and offensive to 2023 eyes, why is it still visible in the parks?

And does Peter Dinklage and Rachel Zegler know this offensive Oscar and related photos are on display at the Carthay Circle Restaurant in DCA? Should someone call HR on Monday morning? :eek:

Snow-White-Oscar-Featured-Image-1.jpg

074.jpg

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It’s actually put me off the film quite a bit. If you’re doing something you believe in, you stand by it and (try to) prove your detractors wrong. This feels like a cheap, frankly cowardly bit of appeasement to me, and I’m much less interested in what the remake might bring than I was before they released the new picture, which, to my eyes at least, just looks like a bad CGI version of the original’s artwork.
I understand how you feel, but we still don’t know if this is going to result in other changes to overall plot points they were originally telling or not. But unfortunately this project was always going to upset someone not matter what they did.

erasure fan1

I wonder if they are going to have big-time celebrities voice the six other Dwarfs
I don't really see them investing in big name actors. The movie was expensive as it was. Now they're going to have to spend a bunch more to add cg dwarfs plus the reshoots. So paying a group of even C-list actors would be pretty costly.

Tha Realest

Grain of salt and all that, but this reflects a purported test screening reaction. It seems to suggest that both 1) Zegler knocked it out of the park, and 2) the dwarfs were replaced with conventional-sized human like characters:

1698488422111.png

Willmark

Some thoughts:

Pushed back to 2025? that’s (around) 1.5 years from its initial release date (from now to the projected release). It can be legitimately asked now if they are ever going to release it. It’s a strong possibility. Not saying it will happen but now in the realm of possibility.

Along with this as to why they might never release it? Cost. The initial pictures of the “stand ins for certain talent” are NOT actors geared for motion capture, this is what they would look like:

So add the initial cost of the movie to whatever they are doing now? CGI Dwarfs in a Live Action movie? I’m not sure how it could be argued “this was their plan all along.” Huh?

About the only way I could see it working is if she was surrounded by the costumed actors in “real time” and dreams about the dwarfs? Turning the whole thing into a dream sequence? Don’t think that’s likely. Even so that wouldn’t account for the disparity of the the two photos.

So it boils down to two possibilities as it stands now: they really were going with the actors as seen in the photos and shifted course or they decided to go with CGI dwarfs late in the game; there is no third possibility based on what is known.

Actors strike. The strike provides convenient cover for the delay. It buys Disney time, but doesn’t solve all of the problems surrounding this movie. People can complain all they want or deny them all they want. They are there. I’ll leave it at that.

Next, releasing this news on a Friday? That is the classic Washington DC trick of doing so. Surprisingly that it’s still attempted in a digital media age: there is no place to “hide” bad news.

Finally, this movie is now certainly part of a trend of films by Disney facing real headwinds and decreasing returns on investment, if it wasn’t before. It can’t be simply explained away by Disney+, the pandemic or any other number of ways. A company’s #1 job is to make money, we’ll see if Disney realizes that.

In the end, I have no horse in this race it’s simply a very interesting saga unfolding in terms of the hows and whys of this movie.

Last edited:

donaldtoo

Some thoughts:

Pushed back to 2025? that’s (around) 1.5 years from its initial release date (from now to the projected release). It can be legitimately asked now if they are ever going to release it. It’s a strong possibility. Not saying it will happen but now in the realm of possibility.

Along wit this as to why they might never release it? Cost. The initial pictures of the “stand ins for certain talent” are NOT actors geared for motion capture, this is what they would look like:

So add the initial cost of the movie to whatever they are doing now? CGI Dwarfs in a Live Action movie? I’m not sure how it could be argued “this was their plan all along.” Huh?

About the only way I could see it working is if she was surrounded by the costumed actors in “real time” and dreams about the dwarfs? Turning the whole thing into a dream sequence? Don’t think that’s likely. Even so that wouldn’t account for the disparity of the the two photos.

So it boils down to two possibilities as it stands now: they really were going with the actors as seen in the photos and shifted course or they decided to go with CGI dwarfs late in the game; there is no third possibility based on what is known.

Actors strike. The strike provides convenient cover for the delay. It buys Disney time, but doesn’t solve all of the problems surrounding this movie. People can complain all they want or deny them all they want. They are there. I’ll leave it at that.

Next, releasing this news on a Friday? That is the classic Washington DC trick of doing so. Surprisingly that it’s still attempted in a digital media age: there is no place to “hide” bad news.

Finally, this movie is now certainly part of a trend of films by Disney facing real headwinds and decreasing returns on investment, if it wasn’t before. It can’t be simply explained away by Disney+, the pandemic or any other number of ways. A company’s #1 job is to make money, we’ll see if Disney realizes that.

In the end, I have no horse in this race it’s simply a very interesting saga unfolding in terms of the hows and whys of this movie.

Sometimes it’s best to think inside the “box”…just ask a cat…! ;)

67E80ACF-686B-408D-99DE-CC770633AC69.jpeg

DKampy

The sudden presence of the dwarfs isn’t a rumour, though. It’s pretty clear to me that Disney has decided to overhaul the film at the eleventh hour.
You could be right…I don’t have any insight to what is going on… I just know I choose not to feed internet trolls and that Disney has never officially said there were no dwarves in the movie… people choose to assume… there is something that happens to us when we assume

Indy_UK

I am so done with this film already.

The actress seems to far up her own backside and how good she seems to rate herself and entitlement.

Disney keep flip flopping on the dwarfs. Have them in the film but just don’t call them dwarfs? What’s the issue?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom