Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

Vegas Disney Fan

The statement there said they were going to avoid reinforcing stereotypes, were taking a different approach with these seven characters and were consulting with members of the dwarfism community.

Did Disney follow up with any statement that the seven characters would not be dwarfs as opposed to not being the type of dwarfs portrayed in the animated version?
That’s the million dollar question right now, as far as I know they didn’t say anything like that specifically, but when the leaked photo of the costumes appeared I think we all “thought” we had the answer… only to be completely blindsided by todays photo.

It’s also interesting the previous photo was said to show stand ins in the costumes and the costumes in the new photo look nothing like them, which also leads me to believe a last minute change.

Phroobar

So why couldn't they look like this?
iu

doctornick

That’s the million dollar question right now, as far as I know they didn’t say anything like that specifically, but when the leaked photo of the costumes appeared I think we all “thought” we had the answer… only to be completely blindsided by todays photo.

I thought it was some official company release that mentioned them being "magical creatures" - or did we just make that up on here? I ask because I felt like they were specifically trying to distance themselves from the idea of "dwarfs" and being just more generic fairy tale folk. But the new picture suggests they are going back to clear cut dwarfs as characters and potentially including the defining traits from the the classic film going along with the names.

Tha Realest

The likeliest explanations are 1) the dwarfs have two appearances (both the baristas walking in the field, and the Garden Gnome version we saw today), or 2) a fundamental change has happened during the postproduction phase.

Vegas Disney Fan

I thought it was some official company release that mentioned them being "magical creatures" - or did we just make that up on here? I ask because I felt like they were specifically trying to distance themselves from the idea of "dwarfs" and being just more generic fairy tale folk. But the new picture suggests they are going back to clear cut dwarfs as characters and potentially including the defining traits from the the classic film going along with the names.
There were definitely articles written that referenced the change to magical creatures, I just don’t know if that phrase came from Disney or the authors of the articles.

doctornick

The likeliest explanations are 1) the dwarfs have two appearances (both the baristas walking in the field, and the Garden Gnome version we saw today), or 2) a fundamental change has happened during the postproduction phase.

The former seems pretty unlikely given that the CGI image today doesn't reflect the genders and race of the previous image's characters.

Tha Realest

TP2000

There were definitely articles written that referenced the change to magical creatures, I just don’t know if that phrase came from Disney or the authors of the articles.

It's behind a paywall at The Wrap, but in an article dated January 25th, 2022 the source for The Wrap claimed that the Disney casting sheets being used for the movie had been reworded to "magical creatures" instead of dwarves.

"Instead of dwarfs, Disney will fill the void with a group of what they describe as “magical creatures,” according to casting sheets that TheWrap has seen."

MerlinTheGoat

I'm relatively confident it's the second one. Disney seemed to indicate early on that they wouldn't be basing them on the traditional dwarf designs, this appears to be a complete about face. I don't think they'll swap forms either. Not only would it be a bizarre choice in general, but it would also create even more controversy by having characters that can swap skin colors. I probably don't go into any more detail about how that would go down. That said, the alteration back to a more traditional design is going to spark its own set of controversy as well, but it's probably a better case to settle upon a consistent and classic design (albeit a horribly ugly CGI one) rather than having them switch back and forth during the movie due to some plot reason.

KeithVH

Maybe they WANTED to make it cartoonish? God knows they achieved that. Considering really good CG could have made then at least something close to life-like (think Jurassic Park capabilities). As has been noted, can't even imagine where the budget is going with this one now.

Tha Realest

Maybe they WANTED to make it cartoonish? God knows they achieved that. Considering really good CG could have made then at least something close to life-like (think Jurassic Park capabilities). As has been noted, can't even imagine where the budget is going with this one now.
It has all the hallmarks of being the first draft of something conjured up over the last few months. I know Disney’s CGI stuff has been a bit wonky lately but these are really lazy sculpts.

CaptinEO

On one hand it's good Disney acknowledged criticism to these awful remakes for once. On the other hand the all CGI dwarf cast looks creepy and incredibly fake.

In good news, last week Disney made an excellent 4K Bluray of the animated Snow White that went back to the original camera negatives. I have a copy and it looks fantastic.

I really do think that with the SAG-AFTRA strike happening and the fact the film has been delayed an entire year means that the film is going to have major reshoots and they are putting the Dwarfs back into the movie following the backlash, especially after the leaked photos from July of this year. Martin Klebba had already confirmed that he would be playing Grumpy in the film. I wonder if they are going to have big-time celebrities voice the six other Dwarfs or if actors like Klebba will be voicing them.

TsWade2

I really do think that with the SAG-AFTRA strike happening and the fact the film has been delayed an entire year means that the film is going to have major reshoots and they are putting the Dwarfs back into the movie following the backlash, especially after the leaked photos from July of this year. Martin Klebba had already confirmed that he would be playing Grumpy in the film. I wonder if they are going to have big-time celebrities voice the six other Dwarfs or if actors like Klebba will be voicing them.
That makes sense. I mean, theres been a lot of controversy going on with the movie, especially what Rachel Zelger. While I'm not interested with this live action remake, but it's understandable that it gets delayed. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom