Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

Chi84

Premium Member
I read some of the above articles and I’m not sure why it’s important to have Snow White’s 7 friends be dwarfs. It really didn’t have all that much to do with their character of being friendly, loyal and protective.

The best I can tell is that people are upset the film won’t be faithful to the story Disney told in the 1937 movie. That wasn’t going to happen anyway.

As I recall it seemed the dwarfs spent 15 minutes washing dishes and another 15 getting kissed on the head by Snow before they went to work. And the movie was supposedly only 80 minutes long? It took forever for them to get to Heigh Ho.

I realize the times above are an exaggeration, but only a slight one. There isn’t anywhere near enough material in the animated original to turn it into a contemporary live-action feature film.

LittleBuford

I read some of the above articles and I’m not sure why it’s important to have Snow White’s 7 friends be dwarfs. It really didn’t have all that much to do with their character of being friendly, loyal and protective.

The best I can tell is that people are upset the film won’t be faithful to the story Disney told in the 1937 movie. That wasn’t going to happen anyway.

As I recall it seemed the dwarfs spent 15 minutes washing dishes and another 15 getting kissed on the head by Snow before they went to work. And the movie was supposedly only 80 minutes long? It took forever for them to get to Heigh Ho.

I realize the times above are an exaggeration, but only a slight one. There isn’t anywhere near enough material in the animated original to turn it into a contemporary live-action feature film.
I’m not sure what this is in response to. It’s clear that they’re now changing the film to make it much more like the original—hence the sudden appearance of the CGI dwarfs. I myself think they would have done better to stick with their original plan, which may have had its detractors but would at least have given us something different and original.

Chi84

Premium Member
I’m not sure what this is in response to. It’s clear that they’re now changing the film to make it much more like the original—hence the sudden appearance of the CGI dwarfs. I myself think they would have done better to stick with their original plan, which may have had its detractors but would at least have given us something different and original.
There's so little known about what actually was done by Disney. Most of what you're talking about is either speculation or extrapolation (with a good deal of interpretation) from the internet, including the review posted above.

We don't actually know anything about what was originally done or what, if anything, is being changed. Eventually we will, but I would save being disappointed until the movie comes out.

The comment wasn't in response to any of your posts, though.

Vegas Disney Fan

If they really are redoing the movie—and it does seem that way—I think it’s a terrible idea. Didn’t the film in its incomplete form enjoy positive test screenings? The decision to overhaul it suggests a total lack of confidence in the project.

The test screening reports seem to be a case of circular reporting, there’s a few articles about positive test screenings but they all seem to link back to a single tweet from DisInsider. Disinsider tweets it, then Snow White News quotes them, then Inside the magic quotes snow white news, etc.

From what my Google search found they all link back to this single tweet...

“Rachel Zegler reportedly BLEW audiences away with her performance as Snow White a scored very high with viewers in a test screening!! Gal Gadot and Andrew Burnap also got high scores during the screening for their characters!

Via
@TheDisInsider/@SkylerShuler

All that to say the “positive test screenings” may have been accurate or a total fabrication.

ETA… it’s also interesting the tweet mentions specific characters rather than the overall movie, maybe the test screen reviews said Zegler, Gadot, and Burnap were fantastic but the movie itself fell flat so now Disney is building a better movie around the parts that worked and reworking the parts that didn’t work? We’ll probably never know.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

There's so little known about what actually was done by Disney. Most of what you're talking about is either speculation or extrapolation (with a good deal of interpretation) from the internet, including the review posted above.

We don't actually know anything about what was originally done or what, if anything, is being changed. Eventually we will, but I would save being disappointed until the movie comes out.
I've been following the updates pretty closely. Nothing that's been said—by Disney, by the actors, by those who attended the test screenings—gave the slightest indication that the dwarfs would be featured. Indeed, all the evidence (and I acknowledge there wasn't much of it) was to the contrary.

Now, is it possible that the Seven Dwarfs were always going to appear in some capacity, perhaps in parallel with the new "merry men"-style characters that have been much talked about? Perhaps, in which case Disney has played a very clever, and somewhat sneaky, game. But the announcement of a year-long delay together with the release of a picture showing a very traditional Snow White scene reads to me like an embarrassing pivot. I may well be wrong, in which case I'll be the first to apologise for my mistake, but I'm struggling to see how else to explain the situation.

LittleBuford

The test screening reports seem to be a case of circular reporting, there’s a few articles about positive test screenings but they all seem to link back to a single tweet from DisInsider. Disinsider tweets it, then Snow White News quotes them, then Inside the magic quotes snow white news, etc.

From what my Google search found they all link back to this single tweet...

“Rachel Zegler reportedly BLEW audiences away with her performance as Snow White a scored very high with viewers in a test screening!! Gal Gadot and Andrew Burnap also got high scores during the screening for their characters!

Via
@TheDisInsider/@SkylerShuler

All that to say the “positive test screenings” may have been accurate or a total fabrication.

ETA… it’s also interesting the tweet mentions specific characters rather than the overall movie, maybe the test screen reviews said Zegler, Gadot, and Burnap were fantastic but the movie itself fell flat so now Disney is building a better movie around the parts that worked and reworking the parts that didn’t work? We’ll probably never know.
These are the bit of information I'm referring to, which don't, as far as I know, go back to that DisInsider tweet:

Snow white had test screening while ago.

And here i suspected would be the official poster of the movie.
View attachment 734613

Don't knows. But here's the further information regarding the early screening of the film. That's included the budget as well.
View attachment 734948View attachment 734947View attachment 734950

Disney Analyst

I am so done with this film already.

The actress seems to far up her own backside and how good she seems to rate herself and entitlement.

I am totally fine if you are not interested in the film, but I will copy my post from earlier here. Your hate towards Rachel has no basis in reality and is unhealthy.

“The narrative that has been created surrounding Rachel is so absurd, and so obviously driven by the usual suspects on the internet, to continuously rage farm and grift off that rage and drama.

She’s a very talented, and seemingly kind human being who’s gotten her big break. It’s disheartening the vitriol thrown at a younger new talent. People act as if she pushed grandma down into traffic.

It’s ridiculous. Frankly I am sick of it.”

Tha Realest

I've been following the updates pretty closely. Nothing that's been said—by Disney, by the actors, by those who attended the test screenings—gave the slightest indication that the dwarfs would be featured. Indeed, all the evidence (and I acknowledge there wasn't much of it) was to the contrary.

Now, is it possible that the Seven Dwarfs were always going to appear in some capacity, perhaps in parallel with the new "merry men"-style characters that have been much talked about? Perhaps, in which case Disney has played a very clever, and somewhat sneaky, game. But the announcement of a year-long delay together with the release of a picture showing a very traditional Snow White scene reads to me like an embarrassing pivot. I may well be wrong, in which case I'll be the first to apologise for my mistake, but I'm struggling to see how else to explain the situation.
The “How important really are the Seven Dwarfs in a live-action Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs?” is certainly A Take, may have been the prevailing view through much of the productions, and seems to continue on by a frequent poster on this very thread, but it would seem there’s been a reassessment of sorts.

Vegas Disney Fan

These are the bit of information I'm referring to, which don't, as far as I know, go back to that DisInsider tweet:
Interesting read, 🤷🏼‍♂️, no idea what to make of that. In the comments they also said Disney had already reshot the ending as of Aug so that makes it sound like reshoots had already happened, which adds even more mystery to the massive delay.

LittleBuford

The “How important really are the Seven Dwarfs in a live-action Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs?” is certainly A Take, may have been the prevailing view through much of the productions, and seems to continue on by a frequent poster on this very thread, but it would seem there’s been a reassessment of sorts.
I don't think the Seven Dwarfs were at all important to the film as it was (apparently) being reimagined before this latest update.

Tha Realest

I don't think the Seven Dwarfs were at all important to the film as it was (apparently) being reimagined before this latest update.
I wasn’t attributing that argument to you- I agree they were likely the “magical creatures” or “merry men” as reflected by numerous leaks at the time.

LittleBuford

I wasn’t attributing that argument to you- I agree they were likely the “magical creatures” or “merry men” as reflected by numerous leaks at the time.
Perhaps we're speaking at cross purposes, but that argument is my argument. I don't welcome the reassessment that seems to have taken place. To my mind, they should have continued without the Seven Dwarfs.

_caleb

No idea, I’m pointing out the “irony” of it.
Oh. I don’t see the irony. But maybe that’s because I’ve actually seen some (most) of Disney’s live action remakes.

Did you think “live action” meant “no CGI?” How did you imagine they did Baloo, Simba, Dumbo, Ariel, or the Genie?

LittleBuford

Oh. I don’t see the irony. But maybe that’s because I’ve actually seen some (most) of Disney’s live action remakes.

Did you think “live action” meant “no CGI?” How did you imagine they did Baloo, Simba, Dumbo, Ariel, or the Genie?
I don't think Ariel and the Genie are great comparisons given that they're still played by human beings.

_caleb

Perhaps we're speaking at cross purposes, but that argument is my argument. I don't welcome the reassessment that seems to have taken place. To my mind, they should have continued without the Seven Dwarfs.
I imagine Disney is getting used to being in the difficult position of having to ask of every production: “Do we stick with the plan and lose $150M, or do we drop an additional $150M to try to fix it and risk losing $300M?”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom