Little mermaid ride video!!

MAF

Two words... Chill Out.

Coming from the same person who made the sensationalistic statement that WDW didn't "deserve" this attraction. Sorry, but this is a discussion forum where positive and negative opinions WILL be expressed. The model proves that Disney cut corners and pinched pennies on the final product. FACT!

Oh and I just wanted to add that I find 2020 CEO's avatars gross.

muse1983

1. His avatar isn't gross, it's the Little Mermaid come on!:lol:

2. The rumored price for TLM attraction was around the 40-70 million mark, people have to realize that although the Disney name and parks are worth in the billions they can't spend 100-200 million on every attraction. The only thing you are going by that gives you the indication that costs were cut is the mock up video that was shown where it never specified whether Ursula was indeed a cutout or not. Instead of attacking the company lets just enjoy it for what it is, a classic dark ride with new technology.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
The avatar is no more prepubescently juvenile than the ones that came before it....

And the video is what it is. Still plenty of work left to do on the WDW version of the ride before it opens.

MotherOfBirds

Jeez, kids, can we all play nice?

Have any interior models/concepts for the WDW LM come out/been out? I'm wondering if it follows the original model for DCA or the revised one OR if it has a few changes all its own.

lazyboy97o

Coming from the same person who made the sensationalistic statement that WDW didn't "deserve" this attraction. Sorry, but this is a discussion forum where positive and negative opinions WILL be expressed. The model proves that Disney cut corners and pinched pennies on the final product. FACT!
No, it is not a fact. The displays at the Blue Sky Cellar are more about the process and proposals than the actual, final product.

Horizons1

I think it is a little much to claim that its scale is comparable to those attractions, it is a definitely a step up from those "C" attractions, placing it where insiders have said all along, as a "D".

Not really. When the term "Fantasyland Attraction" is used what comes to mind? Peter Pan, Dumbo, Snow White, etc. These are all simple, fun little rides that populate the land. They're not too technical or very long, they're just small rides through a rehashed telling of that character's story.

Enchantâmes

Oh and I just wanted to add that I find 2020 CEO's avatars gross.

I didn't say WDW didn't deserve it I said WDW Fanboys didn't deserve it and I will say it as much as I wish to. You are freaking out all because you didn't get one scene in a ride you wanted that wasn't even in the design to begin with so once again Chill Out. :wave:

TP2000

Not really. When the term "Fantasyland Attraction" is used what comes to mind? Peter Pan, Dumbo, Snow White, etc. These are all simple, fun little rides that populate the land. They're not too technical or very long, they're just small rides through a rehashed telling of that character's story.

Except for Small World, that's a biggie.

I find this Mermaid ride to slot in between a Winnie The Pooh and a Small World when it comes to scale and scope.

Here's a great full HD ride-through that came from Saturday's soft opening. They had the light levels turned way up last week for the CM Previews for safety when they had to staff CM monitors inside the ride checking for cameras. Now that soft openings are happening almost daily, they have lowered the light levels in the attractions, especially in the Under The Sea room.

I rode this attraction twice on Friday evening, and this video captures what the lighting levels are currently like. Although the video still can't capture the rocky grottos you pass through between scenes, or the detail in Ursula's Grotto scene, those just come up as very dark sections of the video.

Enjoy this newest and high quality HD video of The Little Mermaid ride! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhrdr3yU7QE

Lee

Adventurer
muse1983 said:
The rumored price for TLM attraction was around the 40-70 million mark, people
Sorry, incorrect.
Try $100mil. That is the number Disney put out there, and that I find just impossible to believe.
$40-70mil would actually be reasonable.

stitch2008

Except for Small World, that's a biggie.

I find this Mermaid ride to slot in between a Winnie The Pooh and a Small World when it comes to scale and scope.

Here's a great full HD ride-through that came from Saturday's soft opening. They had the light levels turned way up last week for the CM Previews for safety when they had to staff CM monitors inside the ride checking for cameras. Now that soft openings are happening almost daily, they have lowered the light levels in the attractions, especially in the Under The Sea room.

I rode this attraction twice on Friday evening, and this video captures what the lighting levels are currently like. Although the video still can't capture the rocky grottos you pass through between scenes, or the detail in Ursula's Grotto scene, those just come up as very dark sections of the video.

Enjoy this newest and high quality HD video of The Little Mermaid ride! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhrdr3yU7QE

Nice video. The more I watch video of this attraction, the more I like it. Few points, and I believe I mentioned some of these before.

- Scuttle AA's are a nice touch to the ride.
- I dont really have a problem with the lighting anymore. Even in "Part of Your World" things look okay. I'm not gonna get all riled up about it. "Under the Sea" looks better too.
- I still would change the Ariel AA in "Under the Sea". Just the face and hair, the rest seems to work fine.
- The Ursula cut-out between "Kiss the Girl" should be replaced with a screen. I think it would look better as an animation.
- The Finale is fine. I dont have a problem with it.

I think "as is", the ride will be a good addition to FL. If they make changes to the MK version, and I think they will, then it could be even better.

Lee

Adventurer
There was a scene with an oversized Ursula that was cut. Supposedly it was shown in the blue sky cellar at DL. It was nixed due to "budget cuts" aka pinching every penny because they want to take the cheap way out.

For what it's worth...
I went back and looked at some earlier blueprints for the ride, dating from 2008ish.
There was indeed an Ursula AA in a dedicated scene entitled "Ursula Going Down With Ship." Actually, from the looks of it, it may have just been her tentacles sticking up out of the water, perhaps flailing.

Also, the final scene was different. Triton was more to the right side of the scene. The castle was not part of the background mural, but a large physical set piece in the center of the scene. It looks like Ariel and Eric are in their boat, and there is an area labled "Merfolk."
Flounder, Sebastian and Scuttle are the last things seen in the ride.

RandySavage

Why did everyone expect this to be an E-ticket? It's a Fantasyland dark ride.

I've always expected it to be the D that it is - and as we all know these ticket categorizations are extinct and only forment online arguments - so I don't want to stir that pot. However, here is an excerpt from the Summer 2009 issue of D23 Magazine, quoting Lisa Girolami, senior WDI show producer for this attraction:

"'You'll be able to relive all the great moments from that movie. It's an E-ticket attraction - and it will feel like an E-plus!' she promises."

TP2000

However, here is an excerpt from the Summer 2009 issue of D23 Magazine, quoting Lisa Girolami, senior WDI show producer for this attraction:

"'You'll be able to relive all the great moments from that movie. It's an E-ticket attraction - and it will feel like an E-plus!' she promises."

Thank you! I knew "Disney" had gone on record as stating they considered Mermaid to be an E Ticket, but I just couldn't remember where/when I'd seen it.

Lee

Adventurer
Thank you! I knew "Disney" had gone on record as stating they considered Mermaid to be an E Ticket, but I just couldn't remember where/when I'd seen it.
Oh, yes. For PR purposes they have always referred to it as an E. Everyone from the lowest spokesperson to Skipper John.
However...off the record and internally....it's always been seen as a nice D.

Haven't we all been over this about a zillion times?:lol:

lazyboy97o

Oh, yes. For PR purposes they have always referred to it as an E. Everyone from the lowest spokesperson to Skipper John.
However...off the record and internally....it's always been seen as a nice D.

Haven't we all been over this about a zillion times?:lol:
Does it matter what letter it is as long as it is good?
It matters because the concept of the tickets, particularly the "E," have entered into the popular lexicon. The labeling comes with certain expectations. It iether makes Disney looks like liars or just unable to meet the expectations they have created from their past work. Yes, calling it a "D" probably would be a little odd these days, but just not calling it an "E" is possible. Or, even worse, people will accept this as an "E" and it will just encourage Disney to do less and not worry about trying anything big or new.

Nicole220

Just broke down and watched the video.

Ummm....yeah.:lookaroun

It's.....cute.

Better than Pan or Snow White. I guess better than MK's Pooh.

Honestly I think I like the look of the building better than the ride inside...:shrug:
My thoughts exactly. I love the building and all the details. I feel like they spent more money on the outside than the actual ride. :lol:

muse1983

Sorry, incorrect.
Try $100mil. That is the number Disney put out there, and that I find just impossible to believe.
$40-70mil would actually be reasonable.

:veryconfu the 100 million must be for the Disneyland,WDW rides combined. If it's for just a single version then someone pocketed around 60 million:ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom