Little mermaid ride video!!

Enchantâmes

There's absolutely no excuse why they should have nixed the Ursula scene. You either do the attraction right or just don't do it at all. I'm so sick of Disney cutting every corner these days to save a few bucks. :fork:

Two words... Chill Out.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I could see it happening. Tower of Terror is Disneyland has different elements than ToT does in WDW. So whos to say that WDW won't have a slightly altered version of the Little Mermaid?

ToT has a completely different ride system in DCA, and about 1/2 of the budget that WDW had, so they had to "improvise" with an extra scene.

This is a different situation. I agree that after seeing the video, it is quite disjointed in the storyline, especially at the end.

TalkingHead

This ride may impress the pixiedusters, but given how much TDO will promote it when it opens in two years, a lot of guests are going to be disappointed. There's no single "wow" moment in the ride. It's just...nice.

The "Under the Sea" room has too many duplicates -- the clams keep reappearing, the spinning starfishes. That room would've been more impressive if there was more to look at, and if the "secondary" characters were more articulated.

I would say this is a C-ticket. If there was anything in the ride that was a "wow" moment, I'd rate it a D. But it looks to be nowhere near an E-ticket, which means it's been -- what? -- 25 years since MK got a major new E-ticket ride.

Mr Wizard

I was completely underwhelmed. With few exceptions the AAs are no better than 20K. I did like the transition to underwater, that was done well. But the rest didn't look like they were really trying. And this is one of the "anchors" of the big addition? I

Skipper03

Doesn't it seem like the last scene with Triton just has random sea creatures from "Under the Sea" thrown into this ride scene? Like, actual replicas put into this scene... I wonder why they had no other merpeople or Ariel's sisters? Strange...

But overall a fantastic ride I can't wait to take my daugher on!

Magenta Panther

Wow, from what I'm seeing on the video, the ride's pretty great!

Ursula is a triumph. So is Scuttle. The movements are so fluid and expressive. They remind me of the AAs in the Sinbad ride in TokyoDisney Sea.

But I must agree with others here that Ariel has some issues. She does look scary in some scenes because of her expressions. I think her eyes are opened too wide. An adjustment that would lower her upper eyelid would help a lot.

And yeah, the conehead AA is pretty much a complete flop. Those who remember the movie might possibly get it, but I bet most people will wonder why Ariel is suddenly sporting a beehive hairdo.

It IS odd that the defeat of Ursula was completely left out of the ride. It changes her role completely. Very puzzling.

I wish there weren't so many stationary figures in the ride. IMO, EVERYTHING should be moving. It's like the Imagineers splurged on some ride elements and left the rest begging.

But overall, it's very cute, and some of the effects look dazzling, especially the plunge-you-under-water effect. And the building is beautiful. :)

stitch2008

I think this attraction looks pretty good and will be a good addition to FL. Good AA's for the most part. Only things I think that need to be changed for the WDW version are...

- Ariel in "Under the Sea" needs to be redone. The hair is bad and the smile is creepy.
- The lighting needs to be dimmed a little bit. I don't know if its just me, but doesn't it seem like theres spot light on Ariel in "Part of Your World"? I kinda feel if it was blue light instead it would look better. Other then that, just dim the lights in "Under the Sea" and its good, IMO.
- Between "Kiss the Girl" and the Finale, I think a screen effect that showed Eric defeating Ursula would make the ride better.

Otherwise, great little addition.

TalkingHead

Doesn't it seem like the last scene with Triton just has random sea creatures from "Under the Sea" thrown into this ride scene? Like, actual replicas put into this scene... I wonder why they had no other merpeople or Ariel's sisters? Strange...

Like the dancing turtle that is in both scenes. I noticed it the first time I watched the video. Seems random and cheap to say the least.

lazyboy97o

Why did everyone expect this to be an E-ticket? It's a Fantasyland dark ride.
Because this is a Walt Disney World message board. The switch from Coupons to Passports created an emphasis mostly on the former "E" attractions. Noticing this emphasis, Walt Disney World has slowly removed many of the smaller attractions to cater to this emphasis and built its newer parks around this emphasis. This idea of a [new] nice dark ride has become quite foreign to Walt Disney World.

Horizons1

Its called hype

Regardless of what it's called there's no reason to lose sensibility about what's going on. It was clear from the start that it would be nothing more than a ride on the scale of Peter Pan or Snow White. It's going to be a nice little Fantasyland dark ride and nothing more.

lazyboy97o

Regardless of what it's called there's no reason to lose sensibility about what's going on. It was clear from the start that it would be nothing more than a ride on the scale of Peter Pan or Snow White. It's going to be a nice little Fantasyland dark ride and nothing more.
I think it is a little much to claim that its scale is comparable to those attractions, it is a definitely a step up from those "C" attractions, placing it where insiders have said all along, as a "D".

Skipper Dan

Just watched it for the 3rd time. It truly is a very solid ride which really captures the look and feel of the film. But man, Ariel really has some crazy eyes during the "Part of your world" scene, I'm not sure why they decided to give her "anime eyes"...

In my opinion like I said before the Under the Sea scene really could use a little more "underwater" effects but other than that I would give the entire attraction a 8.5/10 judging only by the video of course.

It's the lighting. Trust me. Look at how whited out she is. Whoever shot this was trying to get detail, and therefore didn't have it adjusted to well-lit things, like Ariel obviously is in that scene. Which I personally think is weird, because in that scene in the movie, there was barely any light in that grotto, save for the 'water reflections,' which could have easily been done, because they do it in the diving sequence.

Skipper Dan

idk if it was mentioned hear, but originally there was a plan for the giant Ursula scene, it was in the same spot(after the kiss the girl scene). the plan appeared to be some forced perspective, with Ariel in the foreground sitting on a rock watching eric stabbing Ursula in the far back. it seems it was cut due to budget, but it was in some illustrations as well in the ride model in the blue sky cellar. hopes that this scene will be in WDW!

i will look for some pictures

Interesting.

I know that there was the scene planned for the original dark ride years ago, but this one? Hmm...

I'd love to see pic's!

King Mickey

The "cone head" Ariel would be an easy fix. Just make some fish or sea horses doing the swirl effect around her head like in the movie.

Skipper Dan

Exactly! If you look at the model from the Blue Sky Cellar, that scene is different now as well, from the original model. They added the 'Ariel & Eric Waving' scene.

Completely different, check it out.

Those other figures are just duplicates.

Picture3-1.png

Plus, you can tell they were going to do a cool effect of Triton shooting a rainbow, possibly with a Pepper's Ghost effect.

Skipper Dan

How can you tell that?

I actually meant to say, 'You can kind of tell...'

... and just by commone sense. His stance, and how the scene is set up. He's to the right of a large room, when we're traveling to the left. It just make since. Plus, I believe that I saw it somewhere.

Little Green Men

Remember just because she is a cut out in the model does not mean she would have been a cut out in the ride. in this model most if not all the characters were cutouts

Maybe it's just me but it looks exactly like what we got. You're right, some of the models are cut outs but most of those are pretty motionless. The real AAs look like AAs in the model.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom