Little Mermaid Clone a Go! (Maybe)

Captain Chaos

I found the posts JT... Spirit of 74, who I assume is out WDW1974.. Dated started: 6/7/2009..

After reading through, Lee Mac seems bitter...

SirGoofy

I found the posts JT... Spirit of 74, who I assume is out WDW1974.. Dated started: 6/7/2009..

After reading through, Lee Mac seems bitter... Condumdrum and WDW1974 are his lackies it seems... Lets bash WDW and MK cause LeeMac is bitter...

Geez... Whudda thunk it...

Yea, honestly, read more threads, because calling leemac and '74 buddies is far,far from the truth.

But, "bitter" or not, leemac is a very reliable source of info.

SirGoofy

I'm sorry, but having just seen MK with my own eyes, those White Glove standards seem to be coming back - the place was cleaner and better painted than in the last ten years. Lots of work is being done to clean up/maintain facades on MSUSA and in Frontierland with the WDWRR Station and Diamond Horseshoe. And MK has sat dormant too long already, something big and new has to come before too long - what's there is getting VERY crowded, especially with SM down.

Agreed about the refurbs/cleanliness. I was there working/playing during Memorial Day weekend, and things looked terrific.

However, I really wouldn't hold my breath on new things. They seem to be on a clean up/refurb mode, rather than an addition mode. I would expect new attractions in the other parks before MK.

Captain Chaos

Yea, honestly, read more threads, because calling leemac and '74 buddies is far,far from the truth.

But, "bitter" or not, leemac is a very reliable source of info.

Went back and read.. yea, buddies is not the right word to use... :)

Fixed the post.. Thanks Goof...

Missing20K

Thanks for the post. I have noticed that Theme Park attractions development has become a cottage industry in the last few years and WDI no longer has a monopoly on the art. Of course, given proper budgeting, nobody has been able to match WDI in quality. I don't care what anyone says.

But, third party outsourcing and independent contracting are the future and so such a move would not suprise me. However, TWDC needs to be very very careful. Because once you destroy an institution as accomplished as WDI, it can be very difficult if not impossible to recreate.
So if the "third party" route doesn't work out, the theme parks could be in trouble. Secondly, if TWDC fuels third party firms, well then those third parties can create for anyone, and that is the kind of competition the mouse may not want.

But on the bright side, people like Eddie Sotto could be contributing to Disney parks again as an independent contractor.

As for me, my days of on-line "Armchair Imagineering" are over. Time to start considering the consulting possibilities. I'll just say, that my ideas for "The Living Seas" revival would be more compelling than what is there now, would be substantiallly cheaper to operate and would generate more revenue. So, bottom line, I see opportunities. :cool:

And, the parks may be seeing fresh ideas! And I'm sure there are a bunch of former classically trained Imagineers dusting off their drafting tables. :)

Two questions:

1) What is your background?

2) Want an intern?

Also, I hope whatever turns up there has some sort of weenie. There has been so much kinetic energy missing from FL since 20K went bye bye. FL used to feel so alive. Now it just feels kind of crowded and chaotic. It desperately needs a point of focus and attention.

The Conundrum

When was this posted? Can you link to the article/blog or post where this is written? I'm starting to think the entry by "Lee Macdonald" might have been written during the Eisner era. :shrug:

How can it be about Eisner era when he talks about how wonderful Tom Fitzgerald "was" when he was in charge and how bad Bruce Vaughn is when Bruce was promoted under Iger like last year?

Anyway, I don't know why im even bothering with the effort but here is the link: http://mb.laughingplace.com/MsgBoard-T-106299-P-1.asp

Still no link or date when posted? I've been to the web site and can't find the article. I'm starting to question the validity of this entire story. But then it is enigma/wdw74 so I'll wait to hear from a more reliable source.

Are you kidding me? First of all dont accuse me of being other people and second dont accuse me of rumor mongering. I backed myself up in the very first post and I backed myself up again providing a link. I know this is severly hurting the little Disney fantasy world you created in your head where im a crazy kook and Disney management is so smart but its time for you to wake up and smell the coffee. Every insider from Corrus to WDW1974 will back up what Lee Macdonald said.

You may not like me but that does not make what I said any less true.

and LMAO and you get BANNED from this forum for rumor mongering and come back and then accuse me of making stuff up and getting my info from wikipedia. You got no room to talk buster.

lazyboy97o

I think this is a possibility. Of course Lee may be refering to WDI at WDW only, and it is a rumor that is being spun. I've been speculating for awhile that WDI at WDW responsibilities are being transfered to Glendale. Could that be what Lee is talking about? By the way is "Lee" our "Lee"?
The field office at Walt Disney World has never been the source of major projects for Walt Disney World. Glendale has always been the main office for every single resort worldwide.

EPCOT Explorer

I disconect from teh webz for a few hours and...:lol::lookaroun

Some of us know enough....

As for the OP, Mermaid is more green than red. Not so for the whole land rehab.

Just making a quick drop by to add that what Lee MacDonald said was that there was NOTHING of substance coming to the MK in the current 5-year-plan. Nothing.

Mermaid is considerably more than nothing. What I got out of Lee's statement was that things are quite dire at WDI due to the management of Parks and Resorts (Jay Rasulo and his minions of evil!) and that MK will continue on its path of living off the past thru smarmy nostalgia marketing hype that plays on memories and a standard of quality that is no longer part of the current business model.

Lee and I have had some incredible knockdown dragouts online in the past (the type of debate that unfortunately would never fly here), so I am not exactly his cheerleader ...but I have great respect for his knowledge and connections.

For him to be saying what he is saying at LP.com is almost akin (dear mods this is just analogy, can we not get our underwear in a twist and leave it alone? thanks!) to Rush Limbaugh saying one positive word about our President.

Lee may be trying to save his own with Disney, but even if that's the case there's no way I see an agenda here ... because spewing forth the truth like he has can't make anyone at TWDC happy. I just think it's pure frustration watching WDI slowly die (it is, after all, much like FA -- the heart and SOUL of the creative magic factory ... and we all know what happened to FA a decade ago)

So, if there were even a small chance of Mermaid happening in the next five years, Lee would have said it. Again ... no agenda on his part.

Now ... back to your regularly scheduled summer programming (I hear there's a new character meet-greet-and-grope in Germany.)
Well. well...Whom to believe?

I generally go with optimism...But anything could happen. It's a crapshoot.:brick:

t I said any less true.

and LMAO and you get BANNED from this forum for rumor mongering and come back and then accuse me of making stuff up and getting my info from wikipedia. You got no room to talk buster.

But you don't know anything about that?

magicmaya

**sigh**
I'm getting sick of the fights between JT and Conundrum!

Whoever keeps the fights going (Conundrum) just ignore what you think is "rude" and just keep movin' :animwink:

jt04

Original Poster
It is way too easy (and wrong) to put it all on Conundrum. It takes two to Tango.

I'm not fighting with anyone. I just wanted to see some proof. One of the two people in question started the rumor that the AC's props were headed to Tokyo and we all know the problems that rumor caused.

As for the LM rumor, I choose to believe Martin as I know for a fact he has actual contacts. :)

jt04

Original Poster
Two questions:

1) What is your background?

2) Want an intern?

Also, I hope whatever turns up there has some sort of weenie. There has been so much kinetic energy missing from FL since 20K went bye bye. FL used to feel so alive. Now it just feels kind of crowded and chaotic. It desperately needs a point of focus and attention.

1) I graduated with honors from the school of hard knocks
2) :lookaroun

Seriously though, my "Living Seas" idea is inspired and would work swimmingly (sorry).
It's loaded with EPCOT Center goodness and would please both the traditionalists and the masses. Not to mention the bean counters.

moreno

WDI has used contractors for years-since the days of walt. this is nothing new. and as far as relying on this Lee guy for info...contractors for WDI are far from employees, they are no more in the loop than anyone here.

whylightbulb

WDI has used contractors for years-since the days of walt. this is nothing new. and as far as relying on this Lee guy for info...contractors for WDI are far from employees, they are no more in the loop than anyone here.
What he is referring to is the balance of in-house work and the use of contractors. While there have always been ups and downs in WDI staffing, the last 14 years have marked a dramatic shift toward the UC structure. I have mixed feelings on this since I am a contractor they use, but I hold a deep nostalgia and respect for the "glory days" when I worked at WDI. In the long run I don't think this is good for Disney considering what has become of Universal Creative. Then again, if it gets me more work I suppose I should be happy and hope for the best.

EPCOT Explorer

1) I graduated with honors from the school of hard knocks
2) :lookaroun

Seriously though, my "Living Seas" idea is inspired and would work swimmingly (sorry).
It's loaded with EPCOT Center goodness and would please both the traditionalists and the masses. Not to mention the bean counters.
I am intrigued...:king: Ya gonna post it?:D

What he is referring to is the balance of in-house work and the use of contractors. While there have always been ups and downs in WDI staffing, the last 14 years have marked a dramatic shift toward the UC structure. I have mixed feelings on this since I am a contractor they use, but I hold a deep nostalgia and respect for the "glory days" when I worked at WDI. In the long run I don't think this is good for Disney considering what has become of Universal Creative. Then again, if it gets me more work I suppose I should be happy and hope for the best.
Ah...Interesting news. No offense to Lee McD or Spirit, but it seems that there's the possibility of being wrong.

As always...nothing is set in stone.:rolleyes::brick::lol:

gustaftp

I'm not convinced the Fantasyland facades need to completely go the way Disneyland's did. When you look at the facades, and how Fantasyland is positioned between Liberty Square and Tomorrowland, we go from the more German/Swiss-type facades (which Disneyland borrowed the WDW look from) over to the more wide-open and abstract spaces of Tomorrowland and the cartoony look of Toontown Fair with the use of the Medieval Fair look in the facades. Disneyland has the Matterhorn to tie everything together, whereas MK doesn't really have a "weeny" to separate the spaces -- so in my mind, the transition works pretty weel.

I certainly think they could use updating, no doubt; but I don't see why the entire land should look like a clone of Disneyland.

EPCOT Explorer

I'm not convinced the Fantasyland facades need to completely go the way Disneyland's did. When you look at the facades, and how Fantasyland is positioned between Liberty Square and Tomorrowland, we go from the more German/Swiss-type facades (which Disneyland borrowed the WDW look from) over to the more wide-open and abstract spaces of Tomorrowland and the cartoony look of Toontown Fair with the use of the Medieval Fair look in the facades. Disneyland has the Matterhorn to tie everything together, whereas MK doesn't really have a "weeny" to separate the spaces -- so in my mind, the transition works pretty weel.

I certainly think they could use updating, no doubt; but I don't see why the entire land should look like a clone of Disneyland.

I sort of feel the same, the land could loose the carnival look, though. But that could be updated with some paint and a new color scheme.

Some greenery (ala DLP and TDL) would be nice, too...:D

Animaniac93-98

Fantasyland needs to:

a) Go back to it's older colour scheme, especially the buildings on the Liberty Square side

b) Much more landscaping (trees, flowers etc.) and water/fountains.

c) Little Mermaid with a unique facade that adds naturalistic kinetic elements (waterfalls and such) and ties in with Ariel's Grotto.

d) Major tech upgrades to Pooh and Peter Pan, with new boats for Peter and ditching Fastpass for both.

For some reason, I don't have any really issue with Snow White in its current form. Just bring back the Queen opening curtain effect that used to be in the ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom