Lions Gate in talks for Hunger Games theme park attraction

Tonka's Skipper

I left here yesterday thinking about some very good points made by folks regarding the movie and the books.

So my wife and I went last night to see the 2nd film in local dinner movie café. Sorry I was disappointed.

The movie was nothing more then the Roman empire and the gladiators, set in a future world. and amazingly bloody and over the top cruel. Nothing original in story or sub plots. Some effects were good, especially under the dome.Just MHO.

Now after the movie we were having some drinks in the café and met some folks who were also there and had seen the movie and luckily found 3 gals who had read the 4 books.

NO ONE thought the movie was any good, or at least they were very disappointed. They felt is was presented as bloody to get attendance and cut much of the sub text story stories that made the books so good. Yet the gals that read the books say although the books are violent there is much more depth to the book story line.

So I will read the book and maybe books as time permits.

Thanks to those who made honest posts.

AKK

Voxel

President of Progress City
I left here yesterday thinking about some very good points made by folks regarding the movie and the books.

So my wife and I went last night to see the 2nd film in local dinner movie café. Sorry I was disappointed.

The movie was nothing more then the Roman empire and the gladiators, set in a future world. and amazingly bloody and over the top cruel. Nothing original in story or sub plots. Some effects were good, especially under the dome.Just MHO.

Now after the movie we were having some drinks in the café and met some folks who were also there and had seen the movie and luckily found 3 gals who had read the 4 books.

NO ONE thought the movie was any good, or at least they were very disappointed. They felt is was presented as bloody to get attendance and cut much of the sub text story stories that made the books so good. Yet the gals that read the books say although the books are violent there is much more depth to the book story line.

AKK
I respect your opinion and I Am glad you have it a chance that more then most people would do :)

The classicist in me want to disagree with te Roman Empire comment but I understand the reasoning in that so I am okay :) plus I can get annoying when I start talking about Greco roman society

Tonka's Skipper

I respect your opinion and I Am glad you have it a chance that more then most people would do :)

The classicist in me want to disagree with te Roman Empire comment but I understand the reasoning in that so I am okay :) plus I can get annoying when I start talking about Greco roman society

Well ok.....fair enough...the Roman comment was to me more a general one, I am sure other comparisons of history can be made.

AKK

JimboJones123

AKK
See, I do not remember much blood at all outside the whipping scene. But how else are you to convey that? A la Han Solo torture in ESB? Because Han just seemed kinda worn out after.

JimboJones123

History is another subject, we learn and grow from history, violent included, and hopefully prevent it from happening in the future. Extreme violence presented these days is just unnecessary..........just IMHO,,,,,,,

AKK
So... To Kill a Mockingbird, arguably the most important book in Americana history for kids to read in schools, is unnecessary because it is not true history?

It is not supposed to be am easy movie to seem. This is not Kill Bill we are talking about. There is outstanding regret in the characters over every single kill. This is where I truly feel the movies capture a stronger overall spirit than the books. There is much greater conflict over the sacredness of life.

It seems, if willing to look a pinch more objectively, you are the perfect audience for this movie.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

AKK

I have read all the books (there are only 3 books and not 4) and have seen both movies. I disagree with them saying the subtext from the book wasn't in the movie, the movie was very faithful to the book. The movie also wasn't that graphic. People may be imagining more then was actually there since you don't actually see that much blood. The few scenes that could be called "over the top cruel" needed to be that way for the purposes of the story.

Tonka's Skipper

So... To Kill a Mockingbird, arguably the most important book in Americana history for kids to read in schools, is unnecessary because it is not true history?

I never said that, please reread where I said we learn from history.. etc..To kill a mockingbird in in our history,

It is not supposed to be am easy movie to seem. This is not Kill Bill we are talking about. There is outstanding regret in the characters over every single kill. This is where I truly feel the movies capture a stronger overall spirit than the books. There is much greater conflict over the sacredness of life.

OK, I see a few people , some are shown to us as good, but not all, put in a position where they are excepted to kill each other for no reason other then the crowds and government entertainment, shielded as a way to stop revolution. I don't see any worth in it..........but everyone has there own opinion.

If the whipping and head shooting is for the story, I don't see any worth in this type of story

It seems, if willing to look a pinch more objectively, you are the perfect audience for this movie.

I was being objective................We don't agree and that is ok.

AKK

Tonka's Skipper

I have read all the books (there are only 3 books and not 4) and have seen both movies. I disagree with them saying the subtext from the book wasn't in the movie, the movie was very faithful to the book. The movie also wasn't that graphic. People may be imagining more then was actually there since you don't actually see that much blood. The few scenes that could be called "over the top cruel" needed to be that way for the purposes of the story.

One gal said 4., I have not looked them up yet for the nook, I bow to your 3. Interesting your 180 degree different from the folks we talked with, they all felt the movie was lacking in any depth. Even a poster here mentioned that yesterday and suggested I read the book.

Yes that I was told as well, there is more blood and gore in the books.

AKK

Sam Magic

AKK
I agree with what you said, I hated the second film.

Not to make it annoying but the author has said multiple times that the capitol was based on the Roman Empire and it's relationship with conquered territories. From the names of capitol citizens, to the society itself. It's all mirrors the Romans...at least what we know of them.

As a side note I just would like to say that what I mean when I say that the Hunger Games could happen in our culture and society is that our society is so similar. The books greatly detail the political corruption, blood thirsty sports, and ignorance that the capitol holds. To put into modern terms the Capitol is America and other first world countries while the districts are our allies and third world countries. I'm not saying it is a direct representation, but the underlying idea is there. The Capitol uses the games and post games victory to keep Capitol citizens and Panem citizens distracted from the social imbalance and political corruption, look at what we have. Football, Baseball, Basketball, etc. are all in many ways a form of distraction; we study and analyze every detail and movement, when something bad happens to a rival team we cheer and rejoice, we are thirsty for the next celebrity gossip (once again I say this as the first world country as a whole not specific people here), we fight over truthfully petty things, all the while freedoms are stripped away from us.

While we can not help that American economics and free enterprise have got us here I feel that within the past 100 years we have gone from caring about the political climate of our world to not giving a damn about it, instead we care about what some star that lives thousands of miles away names their child or the sexual orientation of them. This all sounds very similar to the Capitol who obsesses over the HG victors years after winning, or trying to keep up with the top fashions. The parallels are undeniable and when you take time to think about it, it's sickening.

One day I sadly believe our society will get so desensitized that we will do something similar to the Hunger Games (it's already started with some of the survival game shows out there). Anyways I'm done with my rant.

Last edited:

Tonka's Skipper

See, I do not remember much blood at all outside the whipping scene. But how else are you to convey that? A la Han Solo torture in ESB? Because Han just seemed kinda worn out after.

Looking at most of the entertainment industry today, most violent movies, TV's or the Games are pushing as much blood and gore and horror as possible. Blood and bodies parts sprayed all over, story line of people killing for no reason other then pure pleasure.

Yes we had that in the past, 1900's, .........but they were presented/shot with much less gore. and rarely people just killing willy nilly like in Pulp Fiction, etc. Do we really need this with our kids watching and being exposed to it.

History has it and sometimes that is what happened so it has to be shown, but hopefully we learn from that and stop such horrors in the future.

IMHO

AKK

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Looking at most of the entertainment industry today, most violent movies, TV's or the Games are pushing as much blood and gore and horror as possible. Blood and bodies parts sprayed all over, story line of people killing for no reason other then pure pleasure.

Yes we had that in the past, 1900's, .........but they were presented/shot with much less gore. and rarely people just killing willy nilly like in Pulp Fiction, etc. Do we really need this with our kids watching and being exposed to it.

History has it and sometimes that is what happened so it has to be shown, but hopefully we learn from that and stop such horrors in the future.

IMHO

AKK
It would do you good to watch this video and/or read Pinker's book "The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined" as you seem to be rallying against a problem that does not exist.

Tonka's Skipper

It would do you good to watch this video and/or read Pinker's book "The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined" as you seem to be rallying against a problem that does not exist.

Hi Yoda,

There are indeed people with that view. I be to differ, over all crime rates maybe going down in some areas, a good deal of that in minor crime, but there is no debate on the murder rate going down.

Just read the paper or watch the news, the nuts killing kids in school, college students killing , home break ins, road rages with crash's and weapons, etc., etc.,. We never had that until the last 30 years with the over the top violent movies and gaming.

Sorry I am sure the studies that say we are wrong, things are sweet and roses mean well, I just don't see it in society.

AKK

Last edited:

GLaDOS

IMHO

AKK

Wait, really? you're using Pulp Fiction as your example? A movie that's rated R? That kids shouldn't be watching in the first place?

As for the Hunger Games, both movies are basically bloodless and try to hide as much violence as they can.

Also, your "pushing blood and gore" crusade holds little water as excessive blood and gore are what push films from PG-13 to R.

Voxel

President of Progress City
I agree with what you said, I hated the second film.

Not to make it annoying but the author has said multiple times that the capitol was based on the Roman Empire and it's relationship with conquered territories. From the names of capitol citizens, to the society itself. It's all mirrors the Romans...at least what we know of them.

:D. While yes I can see that they are are based on the Roman Empire relationship with its territories the book and most of history greatly over stated and were not of the degree that most people would like you to believe. Most territories were more like States then Territories, in most cased when the Romans took over they left the ruling body intact and basically told them "Hey do what ever you want, we will protect if you are willing to provide us soldier, and pay us taxes". The Romans would send "ambassadors" to ensure that they would pay taxes and weren't plotting to break away, other then that life was typically the same before and during Roman Rule for Territories. (A great example of this is Biblical with Jesus, Pontius Pilate wanted nothing to do with the death of Jesus, the locals forced his hand). ( I Would also like to point out that territories pay a 5% tax to the roman government which isn't bad at all).

While there were so instances of mistreatment of the Territories, most prospered under roman rule and gained things such as Aqueducts and new architecture/engineering procedures that improved their life.

As for Gladiators and fighting for the death is only similar to the Hunger games in that War prisoners were sent to the Arenas, but they were actually a small portion. A good chunk of Gladiators came slaves or poor who volunteered to be an Gladiator for food (Hence why Katnis wins food), shelter and freedom.

Now do I agree that some of the ideas are inspired by the Roman Government and society, Yes. But do I call them representation of the Roman Society, No. But that's just me and the way my mind thinks as a Classicist. (Sorry for the long rant, Next time I would go into how to properly sacrifice a goat, including getting it to agree) :D

Wait, really? you're using Pulp Fiction as your example? A movie that's rated R? That kids shouldn't be watching in the first place?

As for the Hunger Games, both movies are basically bloodless and try to hide as much violence as they can.

Also, your "pushing blood and gore" crusade holds little water as excessive blood and gore are what push films from PG-13 to R.

A better example would be to use Watership Down, a film about Bunny's that scared the C#@# out of me as a kid. (Then again its based off the Anabasis by Xenophon. Everything comes back to the Greeks and Romans) .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom