Lions Gate in talks for Hunger Games theme park attraction

Voxel

President of Progress City
Or Romeo and Juliet which has been required reading for generations. A bunch of teenagers killing each other and making every stupid teenage mistake possible leading to many deaths. Including the the main couple killing themselves for "love" after knowing each other for days.
The list of morally questionable books goes on and on (Crime and Punishment, Les Miserables, Hunchback of Notre Dame(Extremely depressing),Heart of Darkness), but it's the beauty of literature, the ability to imagine a world were would be able to make these judgments with out ever living them. Also never let your kid study the Greco-Roman life, as a classic major I can tell you the entire history in 4 words. Rape, Murder, and Incest.

Voxel

I might feel that way if people being forced to kill each other for the entertainment of others had never happened in our world. I am not saying this is something I could see happening in my life time, but in the wake of a massive global catastrophe who knows where society might end up.
Humanity used it before as a sport, what is to stop us from using it again.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
The list of morally questionable books goes on and on (Crime and Punishment, Les Miserables, Hunchback of Notre Dame(Extremely depressing),Heart of Darkness), but it's the beauty of literature, the ability to imagine a world were would be able to make these judgments with out ever living them. Also never let your kid study the Greco-Roman life, as a classic major I can tell you the entire history in 4 words. Rape, Murder, and Incest.

The morally questionable ones are so much fun though!

Captain Chaos

Random, I believe subjecting some people to repeated viewing of over the top killing and torture does over time dumb them the point that they do longer fully realize real killing and torture is just that.............REAL........not a movie or game.

AKK
... I'm a gamer.. I play violent video games... I have since I was a kid.. I'm 39 now... I also prefer watching horror movies, action/adventure movies... Movie that tend to have a lot of murder, blood, guts, and gore... Yet, I do not have a gun, don't own a gun (legally or illegally), never had the feeling or desire to ever want to go out and kill someone just for fun cause I played a video game or watched a violent movie... Please, live the way you want to live... if you don't like violent movies then don't watch them... You don't like violent video games, then don't play them..

Voxel

.. I'm a gamer.. I play violent video games... I have since I was a kid.. I'm 39 now... I also prefer watching horror movies, action/adventure movies... Movie that tend to have a lot of murder, blood, guts, and gore... Yet, I do not have a gun, don't own a gun (legally or illegally), never had the feeling or desire to ever want to go out and kill someone just for fun cause I played a video game or watched a violent movie... Please, live the way you want to live... if you don't like violent movies then don't watch them... You don't like violent video games, then don't play them..

I would like to point of the Cartoons of the 50's-70s are a lot darker then the ones now. I watched some of the old ones and was in shocked at the violence they could show. (this is not a complaint but an observation)

I would also assume that this gentleman would not want me to continue my quest to become an Imagineer due to the fact that I spent countless hours playing Grand Theft Auto, Killzone, and other violent games on top of Reading books darker then the Hunger Games.

Captain Chaos

I would like to point of the Cartoons of the 50's-70s are a lot darker then the ones now. I watched some of the old ones and was in shocked at the violence they could show. (this is not a complaint but an observation)

I would also assume that this gentleman would not want me to continue my quest to become an Imagineer due to the fact that I spent countless hours playing Grand Theft Auto, Killzone, and other violent games on top of Reading books darker then the Hunger Games.
When i was a kid, in the late 70's into early 80's, our cartoons were pretty damn violent too... And yet, amazing, none of my friends ever turned out to be mass murderers... G.I. Joe, He-Man, Voltron, Thundercats to name a few...

And yes, there were some pretty violent cartoons back in the 50's as well...

Guess Disney should sell Lucas Films cause Star Wars and Indy were violent...

Voxel

When i was a kid, in the late 70's into early 80's, our cartoons were pretty damn violent too... And yet, amazing, none of my friends ever turned out to be mass murderers... G.I. Joe, He-Man, Voltron, Thundercats to name a few...

While we are at it we could just go ahead and throw away their entire IP, Most of them are based off the Grimm Brothers which are not kid friendly by a long shot. ;)

JimboJones123

I would like to point out here that recently there have been more studies that prove that Violent video games/books/moves have less effect on children then the News and parental upbringing.

Not try to start an argument, I am just trying to provide information to all parties.
I agree with this 100%.

Honestly, look at all those learned creative hippie book reading gun control folks. Seriously, exposure through fantasy can help guide the morality compass to be more philanthropic, loving, and understanding the repercussions of loosened restrictions to violent weapons.

JimboJones123

Good points, but think of teens today, the scientific studies have shown that teen brains are not fully developed until about the age of 20. Doesn't it seem possible that if these young folks are subjected to violence , I mean over the top violence, that this could affect them?
Nor should they be exposed to love. Or loss. Or Disney World. I mean, their brains are not developed enough to understand/appreciate any of it fully.

That slope is slippery.

JimboJones123

There we agree............parents are the biggest problem. They must monitor what there kids are wath and doing.

Your right on in this post!

Let go a bit off....................Is this type of movie really worth anything? I just don't see the entertainment value of a teens fighting with other teens for their lives. At least in this story line.

AKK
Yes. It is heart wrenching. Some of us do not want to continue to read The Diary of Anne Frank over and over again when we want to appreciate the entire spectrum of the human experience. At what point do we abandon fiction all together? When girls are raised by stepmothers that enslave them? Or want to cut out their hearts?

(These are Disney movies with the exact same themes that you refer to as sicko)

Sure, if you are totally satisfied with wildflowers and butterflies in your life, that is fantastic for you. Just do not research the life cycle of butterflies or believe in winter.

Some of us need to understand how harsh the human experience could be.

JimboJones123

In the context of the Hunger Games I do tteenst has a value. Teen killing teens is not the point of the movies or the books. It is a by product of the oppressive government they live under. And the movies and books show how a small act of bravery can spark a revolution.

Also remember these movies are rated PG-13 the average High Schooler can see this with no problem. It's not just violence for the sake of violence it has a message and the use of teens in the film makes the message stronger to the audience.
The point is further stressed by Cato, who was depicted as a cruel machine built to kill other teens . When it came down to it, he was scared and hated his place in the world just as much as any other character.

Same thing with the previous victors in Catching Fire. They all hate it.

raymusiccity

While we are at it we could just go ahead and throw away their entire IP, Most of them are based off the Grimm Brothers which are not kid friendly by a long shot. ;)

Lest we not forget an entire generation ('The Greatest'), raised on those purveyors of violence: Moe Howard, Shemp Howard and Larry Fine! Children were able to understand the nuances of putting heads into a vise, striking skulls with sledgehammers and poking their eyes out! Oh, the humanity! I'm not even sure if they'd be allowed to be released now, even with an R rating. I'd blame latch key parenting over video games any day for whatever behavioral problems are being discussed.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
The point is further stressed by Cato, who was depicted as a cruel machine built to kill other teens . When it came down to it, he was scared and hated his place in the world just as much as any other character.

Same thing with the previous victors in Catching Fire. They all hate it.
"Go on! Shoot, and we both go down and you win. Go on. I'm dead anyway. I always was, right? I couldn't tell that until now. How's that, is that what they want? I can still do this... I can still do this. One more kill. It's the only thing I know how to do, bringing pride to my district. Not that it matters."

Tonka's Skipper

... I'm a gamer.. I play violent video games... I have since I was a kid.. I'm 39 now... I also prefer watching horror movies, action/adventure movies... Movie that tend to have a lot of murder, blood, guts, and gore... Yet, I do not have a gun, don't own a gun (legally or illegally), never had the feeling or desire to ever want to go out and kill someone just for fun cause I played a video game or watched a violent movie... Please, live the way you want to live... if you don't like violent movies then don't watch them... You don't like violent video games, then don't play them.. But don't you dare try to tell us we are sickos and how morally corrupt and how wrong we are cause some of us do enjoy that brand of entertainment...

No proof here just your opinion which is fine.

I never indicated all people are effected by violent games or movies or TV, however it has been proved some do by studies and criminal acts.

I never said you or anyone was a Sicko, I said the extreme violent games, movies and TV shows are sicko stuff.

Other than these items I find nothing further worth responsing to.

AKK

Tonka's Skipper

Yes. It is heart wrenching. Some of us do not want to continue to read The Diary of Anne Frank over and over again when we want to appreciate the entire spectrum of the human experience. At what point do we abandon fiction all together? When girls are raised by stepmothers that enslave them? Or want to cut out their hearts?

(These are Disney movies with the exact same themes that you refer to sicko)

Sure, if you are totally satisfied with wildflowers and butterflies in your life, that is fantastic for you. Just do not research the life cycle of butterflies or believe in winter.

Some of us need to understand how harsh the human experience could be.

History is another subject, we learn and grow from history, violent included, and hopefully prevent it from happening in the future. Extreme violence presented these days is just unnecessary..........just IMHO,,,,,,,

AKK

Tonka's Skipper

Lest we not forget an entire generation ('The Greatest'), raised on those purveyors of violence: Moe Howard, Shemp Howard and Larry Fine! Children were able to understand the nuances of putting heads into a vise, striking skulls with sledgehammers and poking their eyes out! Oh, the humanity! I'm not even sure if they'd be allowed to be released now, even with an R rating. I'd blame latch key parenting over video games any day for whatever behavioral problems are being discussed.

I disagree., slap stick comedy is not people killing for the sake of killing,........it is dangerous yes, but more stupid in my way of thinking.

AKK

Tonka's Skipper

As noted above , slap stick cartoons and comedy is not games calling for killing cops and innocent people in the most vile and bloody of ways.

Yet Star Wars is fantasy, little of the blood , unlike hunger games in a forest with killer monkeys and poisonous fog, etc.

AKK

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom