Lions Gate in talks for Hunger Games theme park attraction

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Oh Noooooo....Master Yoda, do we really want to get into the death penalty here????........(joking)
Not talking death penalty, just murder rates. You will also notice the one of the largest decreases in the murder rate occurred the year after the Hunger Games books were published. If we use your "correlation equals causation" logic we can surmise that the Hunger Games has saved lives.

Tonka's Skipper

Have you read the books?

If you look over into the corner of my office at the stack of mags and books...............sorry no I have not.

but to be fair.I'll have to get them for the nook

As I said I was not trying to pick on this movie alone, As I posted before its the whole entertainment industry.

Tonka's Skipper

Not talking death penalty, just murder rates. You will also notice the one of the largest decreases in the murder rate occurred the year after the Hunger Games books were published. If we use your "correlation equals causation" logic we can surmise that the Hunger Games has saved lives.

This is not a matter of reading just 1 book or series or seeing 1 movie or TV show. Its the long time effect of *Over the TOP* violence, killing and torture, etc........the continuing exposure to it causes a dumbing or blurring of real vs fiction...........

AKK

Tonka's Skipper

Are their any studies on that?

That I do not know, why I was asking. The logic follows, continued and long term exposure to soldiers in the field can bring it on. Is it not possible long term exposure to movies, TV and gaming bring on the same thing to teens and some adults??.....certainty not all and as Randon pointed out most would be ok, just as most soldiers are ok.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This is not a matter of reading just 1 book or series or seeing 1 movie or TV show. Its the long time effect of *Over the TOP* violence, killing and torture, etc........the continuing exposure to it causes a dumbing or blurring of real vs fiction...........

AKK
The opposite is true according to the data. Violence in movies has gone up, murders have gone down.

RivieraJenn

If you look over into the corner of my office at the stack of mags and books...............sorry no I have not.

but to be fair.I'll have to get them for the nook

As I said I was not trying to pick on this movie alone, As I posted before its the whole entertainment industry.

Tonka's Skipper, if you will give the books a shot, I think you might actually find that you and the author agree on a lot of points.

In addition to major themes others have already discussed--such as the power of the "weak" to stand up to the strong--there is a lot of lambasting of violent entertainment. The whole premise of the Games is that they provide entertainment for the wealthy, powerful and comfortable citizens of the Capitol at very great expense to those who are forced to provide the "entertainment." It's a very Roman gladiator sort of thing, with the government's goal being to pacify the people with something flashy to watch so they don't really notice what's going on around them. They become desensitized, not even seeing the Tributes as real people.

As far as the actual violence, there was only one moment in all three books that truly made me sick--and it was supposed to, in order to drive home the point. In the first movie, they toned this scene down to really just the bare essentials, and I was glad. But I feel like the violence here has a point and a purpose. While Hunger Games is NOWHERE near this level (both in terms of horrific violence and in real-world importance), I use the example of Schindler's List to make a point here. It was a movie, a work of fiction despite being based on very real events, that was absolutely full of some of the worst atrocities imaginable. But the violence wasn't glorified--it was there to show you the effects something nebulous like "hate" and "violence" can have on people. People with lives and stories and faces rather than just a faceless mass that is so much easier to dismiss.

But you have to read the books to get all of that. A little blurb from the movie review isn't going to show you the depth of the themes. :)

Voxel

President of Progress City
I thought about it, if you have concern with Hunger Games being to violent for your children then why allow the schools teach the books they do. Night and All's Quiet on the Western Front were far more violent and mentally disturbing then Hunger Games, yet they are taught every year.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I thought about it, if you have concern with Hunger Games being to violent for your children then why allow the schools teach the books they do. Night and All's Quiet on the Western Front were far more violent and mentally disturbing then Hunger Games, yet they are taught every year.

Or Romeo and Juliet which has been required reading for generations. A bunch of teenagers killing each other and making every stupid teenage mistake possible leading to many deaths. Including the the main couple killing themselves for "love" after knowing each other for days.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
In this instance I would say the literary license was well-utilized....

I might feel that way if people being forced to kill each other for the entertainment of others had never happened in our world. I am not saying this is something I could see happening in my life time, but in the wake of a massive global catastrophe who knows where society might end up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom