Lines at the FP+ entrances

tissandtully

I cannot understand the insane labor costs adding up by keeping APs and day guests off the app either.

At park open, each park must be starting 50-70 extra CMs. That is crazy.

Well, not too bad for the rate of pay, what $8 an hour, so an extra hour up front would be at minimum $400. Not terrible.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
After being imersed in FP+ info for the past year and using the FP+ system - the ride preplanning was great with my preschoolers. Guaranteed ride on TSMM - yes please! Now I'm planning a trip to DL and think man I wish RSR had FP+ I'm not looking forward to fighting for a FP or running to the entrance with my preschoolers. However besides that ride at DL I'm looking forward to using the traditional FP system but it's almost like relearning an old skill.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
There is just nothing to like about the Band or the System.

The time it takes the tickets to get into the park is the same with the bands. Card goes through the machine, spits out in 3 second while u get fingerprinted. Bands take 3 seconds to read and you still need a finger print. Plus, bands have the same errors when finger printed as did the cards, so there is no advantage of the switch.

To purchase souvenirs. Whether you link your credit card to the band, or use your credit card in the store, you are not saving yourself anytime. You still have to sign, put in code, swipe the band etc, no time saved.
Get used to the tap and pin code for all credit cards in the very near future. This is a much more secure method to provide payment than a simple swipe and sign. VISA/MC have both mandated a system very similar to ALL retailers by October 2015 so this would need to be done in all Disney parks regardless of MM+.

There is now lines at the fast pass entrance, when there were never any lines before.
The lines have mostly shifted to outside the attractions, we sat in a few and they moved fast but rarely did I run into a backup in the ride which we had done quite a bit in the past.

People are no longer able to park hop and use fast passes at each park so that is another fan favorite taken away
True enough, but the general believe here was that offsite wasn't getting advance reservations but it is looking much more likely... Take a deep breath and have a little patience.

The ability to reserve rides in advance absolutely does not exceed the cons of the entire program when you add it all together.
Maybe... The ability to change your reservation at will, select your times was worth its weight in gold to us. I absolutely hated legacy FP because it meant I had to run ahead and grab passes then find my family wherever they were headed, now I do it at the bus stop or while we are eating breakfast, no pain at all.

It is a complete waste of 1.5 billion.
Maybe for you, for me it was handly. I would have rather had a ride or two but it was not my decision, the features are handy so I'll take it.

fillerup

Was anyone in the parks this past holiday weekend? Presidents Day weekend is usually a 7-9 on crowd level, right? So I imagine it was the first real test (since rollout of FP+ to all guests) of how long kiosk lines could be and how early FPs could run out for specific attractions on very crowded days. Would like to hear a firsthand account.

I can speak to yesterday - Prez Day at Animal Kingdom, which I did in this thread a few pages back.

Got into the park at 2pm or so. Bag check was very backed up, which we never see that time of the day so the park was very very busy.

FP kiosk behind the tipboard wasn't even operating, terminals were covered up. Kiosk on the left of that area had six CMs when we got there and two guests. Generally the same at the EE kiosk later in the afternoon - more CMs than guests.

There were lots of FPs available for most attractions from what I could tell, and we got a KS pass for 3:30.

Disneyfamily4

Well, you were at WDW, so you probably did talk to 2000 pounds of people. :) Did most of the people you talked to feel the same way you did about the bands?

Actually, I miss spoke in my previous post. Last March, Everyone at the Boardwalk thought they would be great, Even I did, but, our thought at the time was that 3 fast passes were going to be given to resort guests as a perk, and then legacy would be available for more passes. Like I said, last year the entire process of having bands was irrelevant.

It was this past September's trip, where everyone realized legacy is going away and nobody was happy about 3 fast passes. People who park hopped talked about how stupid it will be dividing 3 passes for two parks, not knowing it would not even be allowed anyways. Around the time of our last trip, either they took away the key to the world cards for one of the value resorts or it was reported. Pretty much by doing that, we all seen the writing on the wall of what is to come.

Cubfan300

I often forget that I have grown up with technology all around me for my 45 years on this planet. We went from black and white to a color tv. VCRs, then DVD players and recorders to DVRs. I had my first full blown computer at age 10. We had one rotary telephone in our home until I was 12, now my 11 year old has a cell phone. Digital watches and handheld calculators are part of my life's timeline.
My point is, technology is changing our lives every day. I can assume that most of us on this board have seen the same evolution of technology over our lives, yet people seem consumed by the introduction of it into Disney. Is it because you feel that the parks should be timeless? I don't ask that in a sarcastic way, but rather, as a way to understand your connection to the older technology, that frankly, had reached its end of life anyway. The majority of population visiting the parks have cell phones. Disney is trying to capitalize on that technology just the same way they did with FP and the advent of the ATM. Remember, for the longest time, people complained about getting THEIR money from a machine. Now, it is the default way of doing business with a bank. Once people were comfortable with sticking a card in a machine to get something back, FP was rolled out and the rest is history.
There are many sites, including this one, that had sticky threads on how to maximize the number of FPs you could acquire in a day. Those same sites used to run articles about how FP was so underutilized that the people that had figured it out could monopolize it.
Well, times change and technologies emerge and now people are going to have to get used to the fact that FP+ is the new way that Disney does business. I don't think that they are going to move from this model unless they start losing money and that will only happen if people begin to avoid the parks. Now....show of hands...how many of you are really, really going to avoid Disney because of MM+?
I started this comment out by saying that I am very comfortable with technology. The changes made to the system did not affect my last visit at all. We made our selections, even changed a few, got in line, rode the rides, and then moved on to the next. If you are feeling anxious about it, I would suggest, if you have not already, that you schedule your trip, go see how it works for yourself and then decide...do I want to spend my money here, or go somewhere else? Has Disney lost the magic for me because I have to pick 3 rides in advance that I want to ride today and wear a band on my wrist so that I can enter those rides ahead of all the people waiting in standby?
Sorry for the long winded comment, and I know that I will get flamed by some, but from reading the comments above, it seems that a lot of the anxiety (a lot, but not all) is coming from people who have not been there yet to give it a try.

Redhawk

Yes, unlike the paper FP system which was basically the same setup as long as it was in place, this new MM+ technology has more potential to be updated and refined.

Snowflake82

Actually, I miss spoke in my previous post. Last March, Everyone at the Boardwalk thought they would be great, Even I did, but, our thought at the time was that 3 fast passes were going to be given to resort guests as a perk, and then legacy would be available for more passes. Like I said, last year the entire process of having bands was irrelevant.

It was this past September's trip, where everyone realized legacy is going away and nobody was happy about 3 fast passes. People who park hopped talked about how stupid it will be dividing 3 passes for two parks, not knowing it would not even be allowed anyways. Around the time of our last trip, either they took away the key to the world cards for one of the value resorts or it was reported. Pretty much by doing that, we all seen the writing on the wall of what is to come.

Thanks for the response. I was curious to find out what you heard from the "man on the street", because I don't think most of us on the board here reflect the typical visitor.

I do find that most of the people we end up chatting with at the parks are frequent visitors who are pretty knowledgable, so maybe the board is more representative than I think...

flynnibus

Premium Member
Get used to the tap and pin code for all credit cards in the very near future. This is a much more secure method to provide payment than a simple swipe and sign. VISA/MC have both mandated a system very similar to ALL retailers by October 2015 so this would need to be done in all Disney parks regardless of MM+.

More specifically.. CHIP and PIN, not tap and PIN. Chip meaning it has the smartchip that is read via direct contact (not RFID)

Todd H

Now....show of hands...how many of you are really, really going to avoid Disney because of MM+?

*Hand raised*

We won't be returning because planning your ride times months in advance is one of the dumbest schemes Disney has ever come up with. When I go on vacation I want spontaneity. MM+ pretty much takes that away. Couple that with planning dining reservations and it feels like work instead of fun.

And this comes from someone that works in the IT field. Been using technology since I helped a teacher in elementary school assemble his brand new Apple I kit back in the 70's. I currently have four PCs networked in my home through gigabit Ethernet and a 10 TB media server streaming my media to each (a Mac, Windows 7 media center serving as my cable box, and two Debian boxes). So I'm not exactly a Luddite.

It's not the tech that puts me off. It's the absolute waste of money. Disney could have built a brand new park for the price they paid for this "scheme." Instead we get plastic wristbands that let us reserve ride times for the same old stale rides. Yawn. I'll be at Universal enjoying new attractions instead of fiddling with a stupid plastic band.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
*Hand raised*

We won't be returning because planning your ride times months in advance is one of the dumbest schemes Disney has ever come up with. When I go on vacation I want spontaneity. MM+ pretty much takes that away. Couple that with planning dining reservations and it feels like work instead of fun.

And this comes from someone that works in the IT field. Been using technology since I helped a teacher in elementary school assemble his brand new Apple I kit back in the 70's. I currently have four PCs networked in my home through gigabit Ethernet and a 10 TB media server streaming my media to each (a Mac, Windows 7 media center serving as my cable box, and two Debian boxes). So I'm not exactly a Luddite.

It's not the tech that puts me off. It's the absolute waste of money. Disney could have built a brand new park for the price they paid for this "scheme." Instead we get plastic wristbands that let us reserve ride times for the same old stale rides. Yawn. I'll be at Universal enjoying new attractions instead of fiddling with a stupid plastic band.
Go to Disneyland - check out what a billion did for DCA

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
After being imersed in FP+ info for the past year and using the FP+ system - the ride preplanning was great with my preschoolers. Guaranteed ride on TSMM - yes please! Now I'm planning a trip to DL and think man I wish RSR had FP+ I'm not looking forward to fighting for a FP or running to the entrance with my preschoolers. However besides that ride at DL I'm looking forward to using the traditional FP system but it's almost like relearning an old skill.
I found that if you hit RSR right away, the line is often times shorter since everyone is queued up getting fps. Also, we got our kids to do the single rider, bracketed by mom and dad and we got 8 rides in that way and we all raced each other at the end. My son still remembers his race record against every family member.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I found that if you hit RSR right away, the line is often times shorter since everyone is queued up getting fps. Also, we got our kids to do the single rider, bracketed by mom and dad and we got 8 rides in that way and we all raced each other at the end. My son still remembers his race record against every family member.

We will be going straight there but unfortunately my kids will be 3 and 5 so to young for single rider. This is THE must do for us my son is obsessed with this ride he has watched videos of the full ride through 100s of times "Play the car ride!" we hear that multiple times a day.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I plan on heading that way in a few years when my son handles air travel a little better. Hopefully this brain dead scheme doesn't move west.
I'm not sure it would work well with so many APHs WDW will have to really prove this works well and makes tons of money before DL is going to want to fight all those rabid fans.

Buried20KLeague

*Hand raised*

Amen.

Buried20KLeague

Yea, you're giving me a chuckle a minute as well. Thanks for that! The personal attacks on me are not helping your credibility either. I have also not denied that there are lines. There are always lines at Disney. I, unlike some, question why there would be lines, you seem to have the answer, the simplest and the one you want it to be. The picture of the long line at JC could have been the Fastpass line, but I don't see a sign anywhere that states that. I do know, from being there that the standby line forms on the right hand side, which that looks like to me and the FP+ entrance is to the left of that, approximately in the area that it looks like the picture was taken. Could it have been FP+ I suppose, but I see no reason why unless there was an equipment breakdown that it would be that long.

With that I am terminating any further discussion with you as you seem more bent on discrediting me then providing any proof that you know that FP+ caused the situation. Have a magical day!

Well apparently not only do we have differing opinions on MM, but also in what constitutes a "personal attack".

Color me surprised.

Disneyfamily4

Now....show of hands...how many of you are really, really going to avoid Disney because of MM+? .

It all depends on our upcoming 2 week trip this March and April. If our experience this time is far less than what our previously trips were, we are done. Why would anyone from this point forward, start paying more, to experience less. People here still hold strong on this rediculous notion that planning fast passes is an advantage, but even in peak season, through the old system, we never went without riding our favorite rides. This reserving accomplishes nothing but limiting people to 3 rides, then making us stand in line for the rest.

With my kids being older, they have already started researching Universal Studios and want to stay in their resorts. My daughter and son are huge Harry Potter fans, so if this next trip isn't worth it, next year they will get their wish. The perk there is resort guests get front of the line access.

hsisthebest

It all depends on our upcoming 2 week trip this March and April. If our experience this time is far less than what our previously trips were, we are done. Why would anyone from this point forward, start paying more, to experience less. People here still hold strong on this rediculous notion that planning fast passes is an advantage, but even in peak season, through the old system, we never went without riding our favorite rides. This reserving accomplishes nothing but limiting people to 3 rides, then making us stand in line for the rest.

With my kids being older, they have already started researching Universal Studios and want to stay in their resorts. My daughter and son are huge Harry Potter fans, so if this next trip isn't worth it, next year they will get their wish. The perk there is resort guests get front of the line access.

I have never been on TSMM. On the past 2 trips we have taken our young children and not been able to do breakfast and getting ready and transportation to get to Hollywood in time to get a fast pass- and no way to stand in line for 60+min with a 2&4 year old. Now we have added another baby to the fam, but can still get fast passes. Very nice and family friendly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom