Lines at the FP+ entrances

JimboJones123

That defeats the point of pre-booking, which is a key aspect of the program from Disney's prospective. They want people to preplan their vacations so they will be on Disney property as much as possible. Having only one FP+ pre-booked will be less likely to keep a person going to WDW that day that having three attractions reserved ahead of time.
Allow 1. Not require 3.

The poster never said require 1.

JimboJones123

All legit things (except maybe #1 would challenge them) that I would expect to improve over time. I honestly don't see how keeping day guests OUT of the app is a long term strategy for Disney. I can't see any reason for this besides implementation issues that are yet to be worked out.
I cannot understand the insane labor costs adding up by keeping APs and day guests off the app either.

At park open, each park must be starting 50-70 extra CMs. That is crazy.

JimboJones123

Side note:

I hate the smug attitude of CMs that chuckle off guests trying to book FPs after they are gone. TSMM, Everest, R&R, Test Track, Sorin'. I have seen it far too often. I am cool with it, but I have seen some very angry guests. Far angrier than when the FP machines had distributed FPs for the day.

Crazy CMs.

Mike N.

I just got back from 8 days there and thought the FP+ was really good to have. I stood in a few backups, but mainly due to the fact that people were not taking advantage of both scanners at the entrance, instead entering single file. Also some still had cards and not magic bands, and did not have them ready going through the second checkpoint, so they had to fish them out of their wallets or handbags again.

The kiosk lines were quite long by mid-morning, but the overall experience was quite easy. We actually went to the wrong FP attraction and immediately the CM knew we were in the wrong place at the right time. The biggest learning curve I saw for the whole FP+ was foreign visitors and the language barrier that came up if there was an issue with the bands at check in.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
This "problem" will only get better in the coming months

People (defenders) have been saying this since last year in regards to the problems that MM+ brings. It seems like every time they fix one problem, another one occurs, usually worse. The more they roll out the system, the more problems it has. Just look at FP+ entrance lines. They can get insane. I dont care what you blame it on, I never ever ever ever saw lines at FP entrance that ridiculously long with legacy FP. Even if they "fix" that problem, the best it will be is that they get it back to normal lines like we saw with legacy fp. Wheres the advantage in that? All that money spent for the exact same result?

The only advantage in any of this is the ability to book and change FP+ on your phone . Would you really want this over new attractions? Would you sacrifice the ability to make FP+ selections on your phone if it meant you had new attractions in each park, which by the way would ACTUALLY alleviate long lines and the need to rush for FP at rope drop. The answer to the problem is simple yet Disney chose to go with infrastructure that equals profit rather than experiences that would equal profit while also giving guests more bang for their buck.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
If the ride was not working at the moment, like some people have said while defending Disney, wouldn't the people in line have gotten proper notification, from this new and amazing system they rave about?
Everest went down for 4 hours and we never got an alert on MDE. We went to Dinosaur instead which was also down but never got an alert for that either. They were letting people queue and the three CM's outside said nothing to anybody walking up. Stood in line for a half hour before it was back up.

And in case anybody wants to say I wasnt using MDE properly, everyone in line at Disnosaur who was there because Everest was down said they never got alerts either and we all had FP+ for it.

Disneyfamily4

Everest went down for 4 hours and we never got an alert on MDE. We went to Dinosaur instead which was also down but never got an alert for that either. They were letting people queue and the three CM's outside said nothing to anybody walking up. Stood in line for a half hour before it was back up.

And in case anybody wants to say I wasnt using MDE properly, everyone in line at Disnosaur who was there because Everest was down said they never got alerts either and we all had FP+ for it.

GEE, that is strange. All the pros of this system, that were highly praised by several people in this very thread, do not seem to be panning out now as they expected.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
One would assume so, however that's a non-trivial load on a SMTP server and the various MX's may have dropped the message because of the same message going to multiple recipients from a single source, So Disney MAY have SENT the message but the various mobile carriers marked it as SPAM and dropped it.

Disneyfamily4

Like I have said a thousand times. (and for the people who take things literal, i don't have 1000 posts). It seems that this system was not realistically thought out. If they claim guests use 1.5 fast passes a day, what was their plan for now making people use twice as many. (which I don't believe those numbers that are claimed either.)

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
GEE, that is strange. All the pros of this system, that were highly praised by several people in this very thread, do not seem to be panning out now as they expected.
Dont worry, someone will post any minute now how THEY received an alert one time and that is proof beyond all reasonable doubt that the system is flawless.

Disneyfamily4

It would not surprise me if Disney put all this in place, knowing what would happen. Then in an attempt to save the day and lessen the long line ques, Disney sticks it to the off site guests, and fast passes will only be given to resort guests. However, off site can than purchase them so Disney can make up the difference they lose, when people chose to stay off resort. In some way, shape or form, we will see Disney selling these fast passes like their only competition does. Disney sees Universal making money on something that they don't, isnt it likely they eventually copy them.

Redhawk

Was anyone in the parks this past holiday weekend? Presidents Day weekend is usually a 7-9 on crowd level, right? So I imagine it was the first real test (since rollout of FP+ to all guests) of how long kiosk lines could be and how early FPs could run out for specific attractions on very crowded days. Would like to hear a firsthand account.

stevehousse

My biggest gripe about the new system is that it was NOT tested by the people who came up with it in the first place. If u took those execs out of the board room and they toured the parks with their families using this new system, it never would have gone past the testing phase of just them! Which is what should hve happened to begin with instead of testing thousands of innocent people and causing problems during their vacation.

I did use the system, it's nothing special but I certainly don't hate it like some of u guys do on here. It jut should have been internally tested before just testing it on innocent guests...

Disneyfamily4

There is just nothing to like about the Band or the System.

The time it takes the tickets to get into the park is the same with the bands. Card goes through the machine, spits out in 3 second while u get fingerprinted. Bands take 3 seconds to read and you still need a finger print. Plus, bands have the same errors when finger printed as did the cards, so there is no advantage of the switch.

Then to get into the room. Normal people have the card ready as they walk down the hall to get into their room. Swipe your card and your in. The bands offer no convenience and do not save any time.

To dine and use your credits. Swipe the card, swipe the band, again, your not saving any time.

To purchase souvenirs. Whether you link your credit card to the band, or use your credit card in the store, you are not saving yourself anytime. You still have to sign, put in code, swipe the band etc, no time saved.

BUT then there is the fast pass. People are being limited to 3, when they used more in the past.

There is now lines at the fast pass entrance, when there were never any lines before.

People are no longer able to park hop and use fast passes at each park so that is another fan favorite taken away,

The ability to reserve rides in advance absolutely does not exceed the cons of the entire program when you add it all together.

It is a complete waste of 1.5 billion.

Redhawk

I think what is happening now is called a "test" because the Disney executives really do see it as one. The technology problems should have been discovered in advance (such as Mickey-to-Mickey match-up difficulties at the scanners and glitches in the FP+ app). And why did they not already have lots of kiosks up and ready when the big rollout happened? OTOH, how could the system really have been tested in advance in a scenario where all guests have access on the most crowded days, and resort guests have been able to make FP choices well in advance? That "test" is basically still to come.

I agree that it seems not to have been "real world" tested, and current guests should not be used as guinea pigs. What I seem to see on these boards is that guests who have real problems with bands, disappearing FP selections, and that sort of thing don't get any consideration or "compensation" for the precious vacation time they are losing during this "testing" phase of FP+.

Disneyfamily4

I think what is happening now is called a "test" because the Disney executives really do see it as one. The technology problems should have been discovered in advance (such as Mickey-to-Mickey match-up difficulties at the scanners and glitches in the FP+ app). And why did they not already have lots of kiosks up and ready when the big rollout happened? OTOH, how could the system really have been tested in advance in a scenario where all guests have access on the most crowded days, and resort guests have been able to make FP choices well in advance? That "test" is basically still to come.

I agree that it seems not to have been "real world" tested, and current guests should not be used as guinea pigs. What I seem to see on these boards is that guests who have real problems with bands, disappearing FP selections, and that sort of thing don't get any consideration or "compensation" for the precious vacation time they are losing during this "testing" phase of FP+.

Last year I was at the boardwalk and "participated" in this so called test. But it truly was never a test. My wife and I, along with tons of other people staying at the boardwalk (for the fools who take everything literal, I didnt speak to 2000 pounds of people) spent most of the time talking about how the bands will effect our next trip. The "test" is currently being done now as you said.

Snowflake82

Last year I was at the boardwalk and "participated" in this so called test. But it truly was never a test. My wife and I, along with tons of other people staying at the boardwalk (for the fools who take everything literal, I didnt speak to 2000 pounds of people) spent most of the time talking about how the bands will effect our next trip. The "test" is currently being done now as you said.

Well, you were at WDW, so you probably did talk to 2000 pounds of people. :) Did most of the people you talked to feel the same way you did about the bands?

tissandtully

Was anyone in the parks this past holiday weekend? Presidents Day weekend is usually a 7-9 on crowd level, right? So I imagine it was the first real test (since rollout of FP+ to all guests) of how long kiosk lines could be and how early FPs could run out for specific attractions on very crowded days. Would like to hear a firsthand account.

Kiosk lines were very long on Saturday. I was so glad I had access to the mobile app the day before I arrived. This kiosk system is a joke when it is busy.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom