Lines at the FP+ entrances

djkidkaz

Original Poster
So I've been noticing as have others on this board that we are starting to see long lines form at the FP+ entrances to attractions. I am pretty sure its not the fact that you have to tap your band at the entrance because it takes the same amount of time it did when they would glance at your FP ticket previously.

I think whats happening here is that with the ability to adjust the time to YOUR preference, we're seeing a lot more people use the FP system rather than getting FP's the old way and not using them. Prior, I would walk into Magic Kingdom and get a FP for Splash Mountain at noon and it wouldn't be available to use until 6pm. I think most people were like myself and if I was near Splash at 6pm, I would use it, but I wasn't making a special trip all the way back there if I was across the park. It just wasn't efficient or convenient touring.

Also, I believe people are switching FP's regularly once they realize they aren't needed for a certain attraction. So I got to the FP+ kiosk at 5:20 and got a FP for Dumbo for 5:20-6:20, but when I walked over to Dumbo, the standby was only 15 minutes, so I didn't use the FP and was able to switch it for something else with a line which I would believe many others are doing the same. If Im standing in front of Splash which I have a FP for but its only a 10 minute wait and Big Thunder next to it has a 30 minute wait, you better believe Im logging into my phone and switching my Splash FP for the Big Thunder FP and just standing in the Standby Line for Splash.

So overall I think we're just seeing a lot more people use the FP system to completion rather than getting a FP and not using it and I think we're seeing smarter, more efficient touring causing back-ups at the FP lines.

Whats your thoughts?

WDWDad13

Can you switch to another attraction DURING the FP time period for one you already have scheduled?

also I wouldn't expect many to be able to find an open FP time slot for the exact moment/time frame they are in right then and there...at least not for popular attractions

it'll be interesting to see how it all plays out

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Can you switch to another attraction DURING the FP time period for one you already have scheduled?

also I wouldn't expect many to be able to find an open FP time slot for the exact moment/time frame they are in right then and there...at least not for popular attractions

it'll be interesting to see how it all plays out
Yes you can switch anytime until you actually enter the attraction.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
So I've been noticing as have others on this board that we are starting to see long lines form at the FP+ entrances to attractions. I am pretty sure its not the fact that you have to tap your band at the entrance because it takes the same amount of time it did when they would glance at your FP ticket previously.

I think whats happening here is that with the ability to adjust the time to YOUR preference, we're seeing a lot more people use the FP system rather than getting FP's the old way and not using them. Prior, I would walk into Magic Kingdom and get a FP for Splash Mountain at noon and it wouldn't be available to use until 6pm. I think most people were like myself and if I was near Splash at 6pm, I would use it, but I wasn't making a special trip all the way back there if I was across the park. It just wasn't efficient or convenient touring.

Also, I believe people are switching FP's regularly once they realize they aren't needed for a certain attraction. So I got to the FP+ kiosk at 5:20 and got a FP for Dumbo for 5:20-6:20, but when I walked over to Dumbo, the standby was only 15 minutes, so I didn't use the FP and was able to switch it for something else with a line which I would believe many others are doing the same. If Im standing in front of Splash which I have a FP for but its only a 10 minute wait and Big Thunder next to it has a 30 minute wait, you better believe Im logging into my phone and switching my Splash FP for the Big Thunder FP and just standing in the Standby Line for Splash.

So overall I think we're just seeing a lot more people use the FP system to completion rather than getting a FP and not using it and I think we're seeing smarter, more efficient touring causing back-ups at the FP lines.

Whats your thoughts?
I understand that the process of scanning bands is taking longer than the CM glancing at a piece of paper. In reality, the paper system did not require guests to stop - cast would glance at the ticket without the guest even stopping. The bands require the guest to physically stop, align the wrist, and wait for green. Factor in a few misreads and other issues, and you have a considerably longer FP entry time per guest.

Redhawk

But once you've passed the scanner are the FP lines moving quickly? I was in a moderately long line at BTM but once scanned I walked all the way ti the second scanner without stopping and was sitting on the ride in maybe 5 minutes, if that long.

71jason

Also, it was easy under the old system to spot the issue--now, the machine doesn't say "10 minutes early" or "wristband misread" or "never actually had a Fastpass attached to this wristband." It's up to the CM to deduce this. In a hectic theme park environment. Often with guests whose first language is not English.

Redhawk

Also, it was easy under the old system to spot the issue--now, the machine doesn't say "10 minutes early" or "wristband misread" or "never actually had a Fastpass attached to this wristband." It's up to the CM to deduce this. In a hectic theme park environment. Often with guests whose first language is not English.
The CM can see why there's a problem. I mistakenly went to Space Mountain when my FP+ was for Buzz. The Mickey head turned blue and the CM stepped back and read a device and said, "Right time, wrong experience, yours is for Buzz."

Surely all scanners have this display device nearby. Isn't that the way a CM should be able to greet you by name, etc., by reading info on your MB?

I thought it was great that the CM could read my card. (This was in January and I had a plastic park ticket not a MB.) I was able to double-dip that day and had confused my paper and digital FPs. I realized that if some one did forget their FP return time and didn't have it noted someway, then they can ask at any FP scanner. Of course, I was there when sometimes there was no line at all at the FP scanners.

COProgressFan

That seems like a significant error in implementation or oversight in the design. Now, every time there is a problem, the poor CM has to somehow try and figure it out and potentially back up the rest of the FP line. And while it certainly would be extremely confusing for those with limited English, I'm not even sure many English speaking Americans could figure this whole system out.

Then again, if the people who designed this sort of thing actually consulted with the attractions CMs who work the park....

Redhawk

The scanner DOES say why the FP isn't working. Not sure why someone got the idea it doesn't.

I do agree that the CMs still have to deal with explaining why Mickey's head turned blue, and often to guests who don't easily understand. But I also saw that happen with paper FPs.

Disney needs to work on many kinks in this system, and one is explaining it better (and more quickly) to park guests, especially those using it same day who had no idea that it existed and maybe had never used paper FP either. I can imagine why the long kiosk lines are happening, as CMs have to explain FP+ over and over to each new user/group.

docdebbi

i have done exactly OP suggested. i arrived to my FP+ attraction and the CM actually advised me not to use it, that the line was short. after that attraction, i walked over to Speedway and the wait was 40 minutes, while the family got in line, i switched it, called them out of the line and walked right onto the ride. people in line gave us really dirty looks.
i agree i think the longer lines may be because more people are aware of FP+ and it is more convenient to use. bad for those of us who knew how to really use the old system and there was rarely a wait at all for FP line

71jason

The scanner DOES say why the FP isn't working. Not sure why someone got the idea it doesn't.

I do agree that the CMs still have to deal with explaining why Mickey's head turned blue, and often to guests who don't easily understand. But I also saw that happen with paper FPs.

The few times I've observed FP this month, it seemed like a real issue. Maybe better training needed? Or maybe they were as bad at explaining as the guest was at understanding.

FerretAfros

I understand that the process of scanning bands is taking longer than the CM glancing at a piece of paper. In reality, the paper system did not require guests to stop - cast would glance at the ticket without the guest even stopping. The bands require the guest to physically stop, align the wrist, and wait for green. Factor in a few misreads and other issues, and you have a considerably longer FP entry time per guest.
I believe this is a huge factor in the slowdown. Additionally, each guest must stop and scan their own band, where in the past a family could hand the CM a stack of FPs and everybody would get through without ever stopping.

I noticed this firsthand over Marathon Weekend, and it was especially time-consuming for attractions like TOT and Soarin', where a large group of guests passes through to get grouped (for the libraries or theaters) all at once. If the scanners were moved 20' back in the queue, then they'd be able to build up some backlog, so everybody would be ready to move. Additionally, having more than 2 scanners (or having both of them visible; often one was hidden behind something) would help move the process along, but would be tougher for a CM to monitor

Redhawk

I also think the two scanners are too close to each other. If the family ahead of you is slow (each child has to be shown how to hold their MB to the scanner) or has a problem with their FPs, it's hard for anyone behind them to step forward to the other scanner, scan, and move past the "blockage".

Fractal514

I think there are a few factors: 1. It definitely takes longer for folks to get into the FP line, but in my opinion it isn't prohibitively long, more just minor irritant long. 2. More people are using FP than before because now it is something you HAVE and get to USE, rather than something you can GET and USE. 3. Cast members haven't yet found out how to be efficient in all cases. If a large family is blocking the path for others, I think the CM should ask the family to scoot over and allow others through.

Just my 2/5s of a nickel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom