Lilo and Stitch coming to Disneylands small world. Are we next?

wannab@dis

Turtle Talk w/ Crush
Mickey's Philharmagic
Expedition Everest

(That's 4)
You're kidding, right?

Turtle Talk was met with the same "character invasion" pessimism as this rumor.
Philharmagic had complaints about the "abused screen/3D"
Expedition Everest had a lot of threads about the Yeti showing up for a split second, lack of theming of the coaster, the "Bird" and of course, the backside of the mountain.

:D

Timmay

Turtle Talk w/ Crush
Mickey's Philharmagic
Expedition Everest

(That's 4)

Ohhhhhhhhh, I'm so sorry. We're looking for changes or upgrades only. We do have some lovely parting gifts for you today, though. ;)

PS...besides, there were plenty of posts blasting away at Everest for it not being original or inspirational or the whole backside thing.

And Crush?? He's Pixar you know...too many of that kind in the parks as it is.

WeLComeHomE OKW

There was no "mocking" intended. :wave:

fine.

Sorry, just can't make that illogical leap.
read my last post. i just was saying you were wrong. i was not saying that 99.5 wouldnt like it. i was saying 99.5 would like was incorrect.

Again, seems to be an illogical comparison.
i dont understand how. it is perfectly logical. i go into IASW and expect to be told a story about children coming together with a similar message from all around the world. it is a message of tolerance and peace. I believe in it because i see fake "real children". Random children of different nationalities. But, if i see lilo, i start thinking about lilo and stitch, and stop thinking about what the ride is actually about. i stop singing the IASW song and point to another person and say "wow, look there is alilo!" it is a cheap distraction, that will make little kids light up for 5 seconds, then instantly forget its addition. But, for the whole ride, I will be taken out of the experience, thinkinga bout lilo, instead of the little kids coming together. It takes away that level of believability.

Again, statement of fact with no support.

support: kids are excited by all sorts of things. but, no matter what, IASW is not hip. they would much rather see High School Musical or Stitch's Great Escape, then see IASW. Adding a CUTOUT of Lilo will not make kids run to its attraction. support: this addition will not be advertised. If it is, it will be in a small pamphlet. It will not be on the announcment on tv or on the monorial. This is a very small addition that costs money. They will see no instant financial returns from this investment. That is a fact. The reason why they build and add attractions is so more people will go visit that park or that area of the park. People at home will not say, "wow! IASW has a lilo cutout now? Lets get over to the Magic Kingdom STAT!" And, I have already explained how it does not add to the ride thematically.

Dolls are toys that are loved by many kids. Disney characters are also loved by many kids.
Sure, this read features dolls. But, it is not ABOUT dolls. Just because pirates of the carribean has advanced animatronics, does not mean it is about animatronics. It is a about PIRATES. Like this ride is about DIVERSE CHILDREN. Disney characters are NOT (always) diverse children. Saying something is loved by kids, does not mean it is appropriate. I have made that point before, i am starting to get the idea you are not listening.
And this pertains to what? (Granted, I'm VERY glad many of the posters around here have zero decision making power.) :D

This pertains to the fact that you think rides should be made to make kids smile and make kids excited. Yes, that goes into it. But, a ride/attraction/theme park experience should have one major purpose: to create a fantastic story and experience. To create experience that you cannot have anywhere else. To make exciting/fun rides, and interactive experiences that fit within the overall theme of the park. Once all these things are done, they can start looking at whether or not they make kids happy. But, that is not the point. This park is for everyone, kids included. And, IASW is enjoyable no matter what characters you add. Kids are happy when they see other kids smiling. Don't get me wrong, when I was a kid, I loved seeing characters I am familiar with. But, Disney already offers PLENTY of that. Infact, in DHS, they offer a whole show for Playhouse Disney stuff. They offer a high school musical show. They have a peter pan ride in MK, and philarmagic. All these things make kids light up. There is no need to do that with IASW.

I agree. I'm not sure anything is needed to "assist" IASW. Of course, the lines at WDW doesn't exactly come close to most of the other Fantasyland attractions. Could there be a logical correlation? :lookaroun
That is not true. where is your support? I worked in Disney World all summer, IASW always had a long long line. 30 minutes was average. It never has a humungous line because around 12 people fit on every boat and it moves at a very fast pace. SSE usually has no line because of the same reason. It has a HUGE ride capacity.

imagineer boy

You're kidding, right?

Turtle Talk was met with the same "character invasion" pessimism as this rumor.
Philharmagic had complaints about the "abused screen/3D"
Expedition Everest had a lot of threads about the Yeti showing up for a split second, lack of theming of the coaster, the "Bird" and of course, the backside of the mountain.

:D

So? Those were all relatively mild complaints, and the rides as a whole were very well recieved.

Ohhhhhhhhh, I'm so sorry. We're looking for changes or upgrades only. We do have some lovely parting gifts for you today, though. ;)

Um, don't those technically count and changes and/or upgrades? Because technically they are.

WDWFREAK53

PS...besides, there were plenty of posts blasting away at Everest for it not being original or inspirational or the whole backside thing.

And Crush?? He's Pixar you know...too many of that kind in the parks as it is.

I actually believe Crush's area existed before Crush moving in. (To either location).

Mickey's Philharmagic was a replacement/change for an existing attraction.

Everest is new, but a "change" to the Animal Kingdom. Doing a poll will probably show you that Everest is more liked than not liked. Do a poll with two choices.

Which do you prefer?

1. Animal Kingdom prior to Everest
2. Animal Kingdom with Everest

(And, I'm sure you'll find that most people prefer Finding Nemo:The Musical over Tarzan Rocks).

Thiger

At least Lilo has to do with Hawaii...but what does Stitch have to do with it?

If done the RIGHT way...it won't be that bad. If the characters aren't blatant and they're used in "hidden Mickey" type ways...I'm ok with it.

For instance...if you have the hula dancers and one of them happens to be Lilo.

If, in London, you just see the shadow of Peter Pan on Big Ben.

If, in Paris, you see a teapot...or something like that.

Everything has to fit...and it can't be a character overlay.

Well put.
Easter Eggs I'm all for but skinning IASM w/ characters is just wrong.

InfernalPenguin

Well I think that idea is pretty cool, but like said earlier in a sort of "hidden mickey" kind of way.

Also, I'll add, my family has alot of small kids. When they go on small world, they like it alot, and it's mostly due to trying to identify the countries we're travelling through.

Aaaaand, they get a kick when we go to World Showcase matching up disney characters with their country of origin. I think it'll definitely be a fun little addition. Very charming.

I do agree they shouldn't change the overall ride, or the song or anything that makes small world what it is.

cococola44

you know something?

There was a huge change with figment the ride and people just didn't like the change from dreamfinder..
soooo this is what i think

if it changes and people don't like it...they can change it back.

right?

:shrug:

Timmay

I actually believe Crush's area existed before Crush moving in. (To either location).

Mickey's Philharmagic was a replacement/change for an existing attraction.

Everest is new, but a "change" to the Animal Kingdom.

But you are missing the point. We are talking about changes or additions to an existing attraction (POTC, HM, SSE, Tiki Room etc)...not a completely new attraction or even an area being gutted and something new going in.

Doing a poll will probably show you that Everest is more liked than not liked. Do a poll with two choices.

Which do you prefer?

1. Animal Kingdom prior to Everest
2. Animal Kingdom with Everest

But that is clearly a false dilemma...there are always more than two options.

Polls with only two option sare worthless.

How about:

Do you -
1. prefer Animal Kingdom prior to Everest
2. prefer Animal Kingdom with Everest
3. not care one way or another about Animal Kingdom
4. like or dislike Animal Kingdom the same with or without Everest

Besides, we are way, waaaaayyy off topic here...which I can't even seem to recall what it actually was at this point. Chicken strips/nuggets, I think??

WDWFREAK53

If this is so false, find me one change/upgrade/whatever that these forums are for. You can't.

Anything that gets done gets complained about. A lot.

Which is why I don't take it seriously when stories come out that Disney checks forums for reactions. No matter what they do, everything is so negative, they can't possibly know if the idea is good or not.

Now, is everyone that way? No. But you will find a good number of members to complain about ANYTHING that gets done.

Your original statement was about "anything"...not just "updates."

Anywho, back to the Evil Dolls!

Fun2BFree

Is this for the HK small world?

These changes are definitely happening for HKDL, but according to Al Lutz are being proposed for Disneyland. In addition to this, should it be implemented in DL, there might be a strong possibility of similar changes occuring at WDW's IASW. :wave:

TP2000

He was right on the ball with the DCA retooling.

Yeah, Al Lutz was breaking stories about the developing DCA changes and the massive growing budget for 8 or 9 months before Disney finally fessed up and formally announced it.

He also broke the news about Small World closing for a year in the first place to fix the flume and replace the boats.

When Johnny Depp was being added to Pirates a few years ago, Al was there announcing the changes and giving a full run down of just what was being changed in the ride. He even explained how different the two refurbishments were in Disneyland and WDW, with a play by play breakdown of what was being changed in Disneyland and what was being left to rot in WDW.

Al Lutz also broke the news in late '06 that Disneyland was going to change their Tom Sawyer Island into a "Pirate's Lair". Everyone freaked out about that one, the die-hards claimed Disney would never do such a thing and we can't ever trust Al Lutz, and then finally a few weeks later Disney admitted Al Lutz was right and the Island was going to be changed dramatically. And today there sits Pirate's Lair as a living testament to the big scoop Al Lutz had on everyone 18 months ago.

There's dozens of examples like that from Al Lutz over the years. His track record is very, very solid, and that is why he continually gets quoted and gets his website mentioned in major national media like The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The Los Angeles Times, The Orange County Register, television, etc., etc.

And here we have Al Lutz breaking another big scoop, the usual folks claim the man is never right and can't be trusted, and yet there is his long track record that proves the opposite.

If Al Lutz says that they are considering putting Disney Characters inside Small World during this 10 month rehab, and that Imagineers have already been inside playing around with the placement of the characters in the existing sets, then that is good enough for me. His track record is very, very solid.

jakeman

Wow...okay let me get this straight. We are concerned with something that may happen and HKDL and if it is successful them may be considered for DLR and if successful then may be considered for WDW?

I didn't read the Al Lutz article but if that what it is saying then:

chill-pill.jpg

TinkerbellTara

IASM at DL

Well something is happening at IASM at DL because it's been closed for a while and doesn't open back up until after May 31st (as far as the calendar will show)

Does anyone know what type of refurb it's getting if it's not the "upgrade"?

darthjohnny

I find it funny that some people are objecting to this, but if Disney went with the original design of Small World, this is how it would have been all along.

Yeah, Al Lutz was breaking stories about the developing DCA changes and the massive growing budget for 8 or 9 months before Disney finally fessed up and formally announced it.

When Johnny Depp was being added to Pirates a few years ago, Al was there announcing the changes and giving a full run down of just what was being changed in the ride. He even explained how different the two refurbishments were in Disneyland and WDW, with a play by play breakdown of what was being changed in Disneyland and what was being left to rot in WDW.

Al Lutz also broke the news in late '06 that Disneyland was going to change their Tom Sawyer Island into a "Pirate's Lair". Everyone freaked out about that one, the die-hards claimed Disney would never do such a thing and we can't ever trust Al Lutz, and then finally a few weeks later Disney admitted Al Lutz was right and the Island was going to be changed dramatically. And today there sits Pirate's Lair as a living testament to the big scoop Al Lutz had on everyone 18 months ago.

Lutz talked about DCA, but so was practically everyone else.

Same thing with Pirates. Everyone suspected that Jack Sparrow would eventually be added ever since the first movie. Also, I would say that WDW and DL's ride are that dramatically different.

As for Pirate's Lair, he did first break the news, but he mentioned a much more dramatically different change, and so far, except for some cosmetic changes and a few different interactive portions, not a whole, whole, lot has changed and what he mentioned has still yet to materialize.

Al Lutz maybe have been good on some things, but he isn't all knowing.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I didn't read every response, but enough to know that I'm way in the minority here. I actually think adding the characters, if done in an understated way, and if the character dolls are designed to fit into the small world sets and atmosphere, could be a lot of fun, just like adding Jack Sparrow to POTC.

Don't get me wrong, if we throw Mickey and Minnie in different costumes all over the ride, it'd be terrible. And the younger the characters, the better, since IASW is about children. And, it goes without saying, I think, that non-human characters don't work -- Simba, Buzz, Nemo, etc. But Lilo, the Darlings from Peter Pan, etc. Even Aladdin and Mulan aren't too old to work with.

Just one opinion, seemingly not shared by others.

Expo_Seeker40

Original Poster
No, that design was for Florida's version and how they could make it a cousin attraction and not a sister or duplicate attraction.

They went far enough with the entire indoor version (due to the weather), but also using a 70s style mural rather than the 60s facade.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom